Edible tree ornaments: BAD idea!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Edible tree ornaments: BAD idea!

Post by Fundog »

We got a four foot tall artificial tree that fits just perfectly on an end table in the corner-- because our house is really too small for our 7 foot tall tree. Somehow I managed to lose all of our tree ornaments in the move last summer, so I decided to decorate the tree with some candy canes and ginger bread cookies.... The other morning we awoke to find the tree on the living room floor. All of the ginger bread cookies were conspicuously missing (Yes, they were eaten). But... the candy canes were NOT scattered all over the floor, nor were they broken, and the wrappers were not even loosed! No, the candy canes were all LINED UP CAREFULLY ON THE SOFA!!! :shock: Here's the thing: Annie likes candy canes, and she is skilled enough to unwrap them! But instead of eating them, she lined them up on the sofa. :shock: It is almost as if she was saying, "See, I"m a good doggy, I didn't eat the candy canes!" :lol: (But don't forget, she ate the ginger bread cookies) :?

The tree is fine, by the way, and so are the dogs. We picked the tree up, straightened the branches, and the lights, and put it back on the table. The candy canes are on the kitchen counter, and when I make more ginger bread cookies, they will NOT go on the tree, but rather, in an airtight container. :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
CoolDog

Re: Edible tree ornaments: BAD idea!

Post by CoolDog »

Your dogs eat Ginger bread? Sheba, my dog, won't even touch them! :shock: Earlier today, a woman and her little boy -I think he was three years old- came into the animal/rescue shelter where I do voluntary work to look for a family dog. Instead of keeping her eyes on her child, she was looking over the dogs to find the "ideal pet', but in the meantime, her little boy was feeding the puppies chocolate! :roll: Needless to say, we had to rush the puppies over to the veterinary hospital to have their stomachs pumped! :( The good news is that the puppies will be fine, however, we will be keeping our eyes on the puppies all night to make sure nothing else develops from the puppies ingesting chocolate! I wish some adults would keep their eyes on their children when they visit any animal/rescue shelter. :(
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Never a dull moment with you Fundog! LOL...
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

My sister decorated a tree entirely with frosted Gingerbred cookies in the lean years, when
her daughter was about 3 years old. The tree looked grand for about 3 days, but when they
woke up on the fourth day, every cookie hanging below 3 feet was missing exactly one bite
out of it. Wasn't the dog. T'was her daughter who left the teeth prints in the decorations.
Edible decorations have many predators in the house <G>
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I have to agree with Maximoo on this one, Fundog: There are no dull moments in your life! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Karma eats a few ginger bread men, but after that, she spits them out. As for candy canes, she won't even touch them. However, she will go for popcorn balls, so I have to hide them really well or else she will find them and have her own little "popcorn party!" :roll: And you know she won't send out invitations to her "popcorn parties!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Whitefang

Post by Whitefang »

Last edited by Whitefang on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

The only thing edible that we put on our tree are candy canes. We only put a few up because we end up throwing them away later because nobody will eat them. We've never put cookies or popcorn on our tree. Hearing these stories, I'm kinda glad. It would just be so horrible to have spent so much time decorating to have your hard work eaten. :lol: I just spent like two or three hours icing and decorating dozens of gingerbread men for our party. I was so tired of the lttoe guys that I started putting sad faces on them. :) :lol:
--dontpugme
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

ooooh sad gingerbread men :cry:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Whitefang wrote:
I hope you told her that there weren't any dogs available just to prevent her from killing them with poison if she took one home!
Whitefang, when CoolDog told me about this, I was shocked and concerned at the same time, too! :shock: From what CoolDog has told me, the woman decided not to get a dog or puppy until her children were older. Although we try to find good, forever homes for our animals, sometimes it is good in cases like this when parents see first-hand what their children will do around an animal. But in this case, I think the little boys' mother (I think they were boys) "saw" a potential problem and did the right thing by calling in and cancelling the application.
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown