Seasons

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Robbie71

Seasons

Post by Robbie71 »

How many seasons does a ***** have in a year? mine had her frst in july, i was just wondering when roughly the next one would be due..
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

A lot depends on the dog, I used to have a ***** that had seasons every 4 months which made it difficult to time having her spayed, but most are about the 6 month mark.

If you don't intend to breed from her you may find it better to have her spayed, it will greatly reduce the chance of her getting mammory cancer, she won't have the mood swings that all females have, and you won't have to put up with the mess because even clean dogs leave some mess.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Robbie71

Post by Robbie71 »

Thanks for your advice, when they are spayed does it calm them dont a bit then?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

It may calm her.. not guaranteed.

I do agree with Mattie that for bitches, spaying after the first or second season is a sensible option.

Do be aware though, it ONLY guarantees you that she cannot:

a/ Get pregnant.
b/ Suffer from pyometra which is an infection of the womb and is very dangerous. (Note, spayed bitches can still get stump pyometra, which is infection of the 'stump' of reproductive tract left... although this is not anywhere near as serious, you do still need to be aware of it and regularly check a ***** for unusual discharge etc).

Spaying may reduce the chance of mammary cancer, although again this is not a guarantee (***** still has mammary glands, can still get mammary cancer, even males CAN get mammary cancer! although thats very rare).

Be aware that once spayed a bitches metabolism tends to slow and so the amount of food she requires may drop.
Coats in some breeds tend to change and if its a longer coated breed they can go very wooly and fluffy, so keep on top of grooming or you may have a very hot uncomfortable dog (and note... shaving off a long coat with clippers does little to help this as it reduces the length but not the density of the coat!).

If you are going to wait for a season so your ***** is mature physically when spayed, you do need to be prepared to care for her during her season.

This means keeping her secure away from entire males for 3 - 4 weeks, understanding the stages of the season (ie the start, when she becomes receptive and wants to find a mate, the ending of the season, phantom pregnancy)......

Keeping an entire ***** safe during a season is Hard Work, many bitches are absolutely determined to mate, and can be seen 'standing' (tail to one side, legs apart, looking over their shoulder), offering themselves to anything and anyone... I had one once who was madly in love with my fridge!

At that stage, they can mate and tie with a dog quite literally in the blink of an eye, and I would strongly recommend that if there is anyone vaguely irresponsible who has to take care of your *****, ie a child for example, you don't take the risk and you have her spayed asap.

If you do decide to keep her entire for a little while longer, make sure you understand about her care (there are good books around) and what to do in the worst case scenario that another dog gets to her (there are many options, she does NOT have to have puppies and will not suffer if they are terminated or she is spayed).

Hope that helps,

Em
dearlady

Post by dearlady »

it varies from breed to breed.

I have read that in my breed, Deerhounds, the age the ***** has her first season dictates the gap between seasons.

I'm not sure how accurate this is.

My oldest Deerhound ***** will be 5 in April, she came to me as an adult, and had seasons every 6 months. She has since been spayed following complications whelping.

My youngest ***** is currently in season, and is 17 months old, so I'm not sure if she'll have another season in 6 months, a year, or in another 17 months!!!

A ***** in season will affect other dogs in the household, I have 2 entire males as well, aged 3yrs and 17 months, who are fully aware she is in season. The next week will be the most difficult, so far she is more inclined to bite their heads off than entertain any amorous advances, but I am monitoring her carefully as this may change in the next week...I will also have to monitor her behaviour immediately after her season and look out for signs of phantom pregnancy/depression/pyrometra (sp?)

So dealing with a ***** in season is not always an easy option, but I also don't believe it is necessary to spay all bitches, though I wouldn't hesitate if it were medically necessary.

I havn't noticed any change in behaviour from my 2 spayed bitches, other than one has put a little more weight on, but she was always on the slender side and I see this as a benefit.

Good luck in whatever you decide!
Owdb1tch

Post by Owdb1tch »

I have a mixed pack too and it does involve a bit more work at season times, but luckily there's only the two of us in the house so no worries about someone leaving a door open at a critical time.

Dearlady, I know a deerhound ***** who didn't come on heat until she was 4. The owners then had her spayed, which surprised me, but they said they couldn't cope with another season! :roll:

One of my favourite breeds.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have 4 bitches and 2 dogs, all rescues, both dogs are neutered but until the end of November, 2 of the bitches weren't.

Ellie has been used as a breeding ***** but as it looked as if she had a scar there, the rescue asked if I minded waiting to see if she came into season, of course I said I didn't mind. She came into season and was obviously an old had but thankfully my dogs didn't want to know.

Tilly was 20 weeks old when she came expected to be a small to medium dog but she forgot to stop growing and is now about 25ins high. The rescue wanted her spayed at 6 months but I asked if I could wait until after her first season. They agreed because there is only me living here and both dogs were neutered. Tilly grew up in her first season and matured mentally as well as physically.

Both Tilly and Ellie were spayed at the same time and there hasn't been any change in their behaviour nor have either of them put any weight on. I haven't changed the amount of food they have, but I do look daily at how they are looking as I do with all my dogs. Got into the habit of doing this with a horse that just needed to look at food to put weight on :lol:

I would always have a ***** spayed, I don't have the type of dogs to breed from even if I wanted to breed, and life is much easier for my bitches as well as me when they are spayed. The past week I have noticed that Ellie seems to be more contented but I don't know if that is connected with having her spayed.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
dearlady

Post by dearlady »

Owdb1tch wrote: Dearlady, I know a deerhound ***** who didn't come on heat until she was 4. The owners then had her spayed, which surprised me, but they said they couldn't cope with another season! :roll:

One of my favourite breeds.
goodness - 4 yrs old!! I don't think I would've spayed, but without knowing full circs hard to comment.

And they are kinda gorgeous aren't they.....I'm not biased.....honest :lol: