Is a second dog a good idea?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

traci371

Is a second dog a good idea?

Post by traci371 »

We currently have a 20lb, 1 year old pug mix "on loan" from the animal shelter. (I don't know why she was given up) They let you take them for a week to see how they work in your home with your animals, kids etc. If it doesn't work you return the animal with no guilt. They call it a doggy play date.

We have a sweet, non-aggressive, 80lb German Shepherd/lab mix that we also got from a shelter. She was abandoned by her owners and lived on her own for 9 months and then in the shelter for 3 months.

The new pug turns out to have a much higher energy level and a more boisterous personality then our dog.

Our dog doesn't seem interested in her much. More like she is tolerating her. The new dog will come lay down by her and our dog will get up and move away from her. She really doesn't want to play with her. Our dog doesn't want to share toys with the new dog. She will take them away from her and give them to me or stack them on the couch where the new dog can't get them. Twice she has snapped at the pug over toys. Last night my dh was working on training both the dogs at once. Our dog got a treat when she did what my dh asked. The pug tried to snatch the treat from our dog and our dog bit her in the head hard enough to cut her and draw blood.

I think it is time to call this quits. We have her to see if they are compatible and I think this is a sign they are not. I think we are in a potentially dangerous situation. I don't want the new dog getting really hurt or worse and I don't want our dog to turn aggressive. I think at this point we should return the dog.

My dh thinks we should keep the new dog and that we can train them to get along and that in a year or so everything will be fine as the new dog gets older and settles down.

I want the best for both dogs and am worried that by keeping her we would just be seeing ourselves up for a bad situation.
Please help! Thanks!
Fundog

Re: Is a second dog a good idea?

Post by Fundog »

You didn't say how long you have had your current dog? From what you are saying so far, however, i don't think your current dog is ready for another dog to enter the family just yet. Perhaps later on down the road she will be, but not just now.

Meanwhile, go have a look at the story I wrote about how we brought a second dog into our home; you may find it helpful: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6103
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
***Melissa***

Re: Is a second dog a good idea?

Post by ***Melissa*** »

traci371 wrote:Our dog doesn't seem interested in her much. More like she is tolerating her. The new dog will come lay down by her and our dog will get up and move away from her. She really doesn't want to play with her. Our dog doesn't want to share toys with the new dog. She will take them away from her and give them to me or stack them on the couch where the new dog can't get them. Twice she has snapped at the pug over toys. Last night my dh was working on training both the dogs at once. Our dog got a treat when she did what my dh asked. The pug tried to snatch the treat from our dog and our dog bit her in the head hard enough to cut her and draw blood.
In addition to what Fundog said -
Dogs don't necessarily like other dogs. Some do learn to tolerate (or even like) other dogs, but that is not a given. If your dogs move away from her, it means your dog is using acceptable body language to tell her not to come close to her.
Also - if they don't play, that's fine :wink:
Sharing of toys (or any other resources) - sharing is not normal for a dog, don't expect them to share. If the toys are causing stress between the dogs (which it does), put the toys away, and only let them have toys when they are seperate from each other. :wink: Do avoid stress, snapping, fights, etc - it will get worse if you allow it to.
Food snathing by one dog from another is bad manners in doggy terms. Your dog told her that she won't tolerate that. Rather train them seperately (at least for now).
They are still getting used to each other, and the less stress there is on them, the better it will go. :wink:

Exercise (mental & physical) them a lot (and seperate) - tired dogs are less likely to fight.

I agree with Fundog though - it does not sound if your current dog is ready for a new dog :? If you decide to keep the pug, be prepared to put a lot of work into the two dogs (not impossible, but it does take a lot of work and management). :D
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams