Hmmm, Doggy books for Christmas.....

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Appa_valley

Hmmm, Doggy books for Christmas.....

Post by Appa_valley »

I'm having trouble choosing which books I would like for Christmas. I wrote down a list of 30 (yes, 30) dog books I would eventually like to have (slowly, one at a time of course). And it is REALLY hard to just choose 2 or 3 out of 30. Sooo, which books would you greatly recommend? I already have Clicking with your Dog, Through a Dog's Ear, and a Stanley Coren book. Please help me out here... By the way, we could probably only afford maybe 2 or 3. Man, I wonder how much that would be to buy all 30 at the same time, whew, makes me dizzy just thinking about that. :shock:
jacksdad

Re: Hmmm, Doggy books for Christmas.....

Post by jacksdad »

are you looking for good dog books for generalized learning or are you looking to address a specific issue.

Example, I have been focusing mostly on books dealing with fear based aggression my self and of those, reading a lot of Patricia McConnell's work. She is easy to read, a good writer who keeps things light and enjoyable, and get you thinking about stuff.

might help to offer suggestions if we know what your interested in, looking to learn etc.
Appa_valley

Post by Appa_valley »

Whoops, sorry, I guess I should have specified. Just general learning I guess. Was thinking about getting her book The Other End of the Leash, I've heard that it is a good one. Also, Control Unleashed seems to be good. But, I also have a fear-aggressive dog, so those books would be good to get too. Gah, there are sooo many books (good thing though :D )
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

The Other End of the Leash is a good one. For the Love of a Dog was another amazing one by her. That one talks a lot about basic emotions.
--dontpugme
Appa_valley

Post by Appa_valley »

Ok, so The Other End of the Leash is definitely in. What other books do ya think would be good? Here is the list that I've written down (it has accumulated over a few months :oops: ).

Don't Shoot the Dog - Karen Pryor
Cautious Canine - Patricia McConnell
Culture Clash - Jean Donaldson
For the Love of a Dog - Patricia McConnell
Oh Behave! : Dogs from Pavlov, to Premack, to Pinken - Jean Donaldson
Control Unleashed - Leslie McDevitt
Inside of a Dog - Alexandra Horowitz
Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog - Wendy Volhard
Dr. Pitcairn's Natual Health (the most updated version) - Dr. Richard Pitcairn-----------I have the (I think) 1980 something version
Pet Food Nation - Joan Weiskopf
Dogs - Tim Flach
PhoDography - Kim Levin

I haven't included all of the books in my list. These are the ones I would most like to have. Can probably only get 1 or 2 more cause, um, I'm also asking for a new litterbox for my cat (is that not the strangest thing you've ever heard? :lol: ).
clancysollynikki

Post by clancysollynikki »

I just finished Don't Shoot the Dog, borrowed from a friend and it's a very good read.
All the Patricia McConnell stuff is good, both her books and shorter pamphlets on specific issues
The only other one on your list that I've read is Inside of a Dog by Alexandria Horowitz and would recommend it too.

A couple of titles that you didn't short list so I'm not sure if they are on your long list :

Bones Would Rain from the Sky by Suzanne Clothier A must read (at some point) in my opinion
The Loved Dog by Tamar Geller
Two books by Jeffrey Masson, the first is Dogs Never Lie about Love and his new one is The Dog Who Couldn't Stop Loving

Yeah, I'm one of those people who goes to their book dealer the way some people go to their crack dealer and I've been buying dog books for lots of years.

Anyone who's interested in some fiction titles that are good I'd be happy to share those too.
Appa_valley

Post by Appa_valley »

Hmmm, maybe I should just write them all down on strips of paper and then pick one from a hat? Yeah, yeah, that'll do.

I would have to agree with you, books are as addicting as crack, hahaha!! This is sad isn't it? :|
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'm a book junkie too. Never tried crack :wink: :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

clancysollynikki wrote: Yeah, I'm one of those people who goes to their book dealer the way some people go to their crack dealer and I've been buying dog books for lots of years.
If only more people were addicted to books......

another good book for dealing with reactive dogs is "scardy dog" by Ali Brown.
Appa_valley

Post by Appa_valley »

Just for the record, I've never tried crack either, just so nobody gets any impressions, haha!! Well, I've SEEN plumbers crack, but not drug crack. (sorry, couldn't help myself :lol: )
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

:lol:

nightsrainfall

Post by nightsrainfall »

I am going to add a good number of these books to my list now that I stumbled on this thread. (is there another gift giving holiday coming up soon, looks like I'll need one!)

Some of the books on my list...
When Pigs Fly!: Training Success with Impossible Dogs by Jane Killion
The Seven Ages of Man's Best Friend: A Comprehensive Guide to Caring for Your Dog Through All the Stages of Life by Jan Fennell
Therapy Dogs: Training Your Dog to Reach Others by Kathy Diamond Davis
Play With Your Dog (and) Do over Dogs both by Pat Miller
The Other End of the Leash: Why We Do What We Do Around Dogs by Patricia B. McConnell (already mentioned by someone in another post)
Fight!: A Practical Guide to the Treatment of Dog-dog Aggression by Jean Donaldson
Paws & Effect: The Healing Power of Dogs by Sharon Sakson

Course I'll skim through just about any dog book at least once... If I really like it, I'll buy to keep it.
- Anna

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
~ Roger A. Caras
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I don't know if anyone has said this one yet, but I recently finished Reaching the Animal Mind:
by pryor. Amazing!
--dontpugme
Appa_valley

Post by Appa_valley »

dontpugme wrote:I don't know if anyone has said this one yet, but I recently finished Reaching the Animal Mind:
by pryor. Amazing!
I've got that one on my PBS (Paperback Swap) wishlist!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Save your money for useful books by not buying anything by Jan Fennel :wink: see if you can skim through some at the library first before you commit and you'll see what I'm getting at.