How do you say sorry?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kanga

How do you say sorry?

Post by Kanga »

Another topic has given tips on how to thank your dog- so how do you say 'sorry' to your dog? "Sorry I misunderstood you? " "Sorry I made you take the 'wrong' (no such thing to a dog) route in the agility competition" There's many a time I would love to say sorry- but I can't, can I?
Promoting training through trust-not fear
emmabeth

Re: How do you say sorry?

Post by emmabeth »

I just say it - they dont know what the words mean but between me saying it (and i thinkthey get some of the sentiment if not the actual full meaning) and me trying to not mess up and do things wrong in future they 'get' it. I hope so anyway!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I just say "I'm sorry" even though I know my dog doesn't understand what I'm saying, but I do know that she senses my body language as I pet her.
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Sometimes things happen like I will accidently step onto a tail or a toe - I apologise like I would to a human. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see you, are you okay? I'm so sorry". They obvisouly don't understand the words, but I agree with Emma, I think they do get some sentiment out of it (maybe by our tone of voice and body language).
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I say it in as contrite a tone as I can manage - and the dogs, bless 'em are so forgiving - they come up and lick me.

Even when I've just trodden on one and then yelled at it for getting under my feet :oops:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JaneH

Post by JaneH »

A good and thorough petting!

That's the beauty of dogs - you can literally walk all over them and they're quick to forgive you before you can even forgive yourself.