2 walkie questions!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emma-louise

2 walkie questions!

Post by emma-louise »

:D hello again!

jack now comes out for a walk twice a day in the garden etc (but not to far as hes not finished his jabs yet) and he loves it! bounces along big smile and wagging tail!
BUT when i go to put his lead on he cowers as if hes really scared and backs away from me :( ive tried offering him treats while the lead is in my hand etc but he seems to be getting worse and now wont come any where need me when im holding it! the starnge thing is tho that hes not bothered by it once hes got it on or when its hanging up next to the door, if i didnt know beter i would of said hes been hit with a lead the way he acts

number 2 question is... is there any thing i really need to watch him having a chew on when we are out? like all babies every thing goes in his mouth at the min weather its leaves, stones, grass or the neighbours trouser leg :wink: obviously i wouldnt let him swallow any thing but is there any thing thats really really dangerous for him to mouth?

cheers
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Mmmm does sound like he associates the lead with something unpleasant... you can use clicker training to resolve that though (click and treat for staing near you when you have the lead, try sitting on the floor with it and have it all folded up, or chuck the lead on the floor and click him for sniffing it? to start off with).

As for chewing things.... grass is fine and although sometimes it appears to make them sick i never stop mine from eating grass, if it makes them sick then i figure they needed to be sick and thats why they ate the grass.

Stones, mm stop him chewing those, youd be surprised how many a dog will swallow - my little Kelda was sick the other night and there was a lot of little bits of gravel in it!

Dont let him chew or eat slugs or snails, they can harbour heartworm - far more prevalent in the US but dogs are getting heartworm in the UK now as well.

Frogs and toads are not good to chew either, they (i thiknk its just toads but to be on the safe side...) exude poison through glands in their skin, wont really harm your dog but will give them a sore throat and make them foam at the mouth for a while afterwards.

Sticks - splintery!

Cooked bones - splintery!

Other than that, apply common sense really.
emma-louise

Post by emma-louise »

cool so theres no flowers to watch out for?? i hope my new neighbours dont mind him pulling the heads off all of their flowers :oops:

thanks