My Piper is gone

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

thepennywhistle

My Piper is gone

Post by thepennywhistle »

Hi all,

I'm just stunned. I need to talk to somebody about it, and you dear people are the
only ones in my life that are likely to understand. My Piper died today. He was a
magnificent collie of amazing bloodlines, but sadly a white merle/double dilute/whatever
you care to call it. He was without eyes entirely and mostly deaf, and probably the
happiest dog I have ever had. Big as a donkey and beautiful, he was eye-catchingly
handsome and always turned heads, especially riding along as shotgun in the big van's
captain's chair, ruff blowing in the wind, wearing his bright red Doggle-goggles as he
leaned out to soak up the scents.

He was my silly, sweet, laughing boy, always wearing his big collie grin, And I had to
have him put down today. Cancer. It was a total shock to me. He was just getting less
active and losing weight, so we went in to ask why. The answer was grim, the prognosis
bleak. I cannot believe I didn't know this was happening within him, but he never told
me anything was wrong. Rather than let him suffer, and watch my beautiful laughing boy
stop his big grins and happy ways, I let him go. He was only 6 years old.

I know he was/is loved dearly, I know he loved me, and I think in spite of his sensory limitations,
he enjoyed his life. It was not anywhere near long enough with me, but at least he had those
years -- not too bad considering his breeder was strongly urged to destroy him at birth. I'm
glad his breeder didn't listen and sent this fuzzy, sweet, cuddlepuppy to me at 10 weeks of age.
I've learned so much from Piper, and loved him so dearly that I wouldn't pass up one minute of
our time together. He made me a better dog trainer and a much better person overall. I just
cannot believe that it's over.

I have some very confused collie girls here today, and we're sharing many hugs. His cat,
Fitzroy, is sitting in their sleeping place (the hallway where the afternoon sun shines through
the window) as though wondering where his naptime buddy has gone. The absence of his big
spirit (and big furry self) makes this place feel very empty, and I fear it will take some time for
the lot of us to become used to living without him. Still, what he brought to my life and my
heart will be with me forever.

Love you, Piper. Miss you so much.

Thanks for listening.
jacksdad

Re: My Piper is gone

Post by jacksdad »

oh..I am sooo sorry. hang in there.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I'm so sorry for your loss, Thepenneywhistle! :cry: As many of us have had dogs like Piper and have lost them, we know where your coming from! There isn't a day that something reminds us of one of dogs we had and lost, something we've learned from each of the dogs we've lost, because each dog brings something special into our lives. Just hang in there and remember that Piper isn't suffering anymore, and if you believe, he's in a better place. :cry:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know you must miss him terribly-- I still miss my cat, Andrew, and it has been six years since he passed away. : ( But just think: Piper has eyes now, and can hear as well as the angels! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Linda.D

Post by Linda.D »

I AM SO SO SO SORRY ,I CAN NOT THINK OF ANYTHING TO SAY THAT COULD MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER , BUT HAPPY MEMORIES :(
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

So sorry to hear of your loss.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I am so sorry - words are not enough, but you gave your boy a happy life and let him live it to its fullest. That is all any dog could wish for I think and sadly it is more than many get.

Thinking of you *cyberhugs*
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

I'm so sorry for your loss. He had a wonderful life with you, and you did the best for him to let him go without suffering.
(((hugs)))
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I'm so sorry :cry: No matter how long they're with us it's never long enough.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'm so sorry. You gave him a wonderful life, and you didn't let him suffer. Your pain will lessen in time, and you will always have the memories.

)))))))))))))))HUGS((((((((((((((((((((((
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sue1234

Post by Sue1234 »

My heartfelt sympathy PennyWhistle. Your love and devotion to Piper comes through in every word of your post. What a tremendously lucky dog he was to have had you as his mom. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

I'm sorry, Pennywhistle. If you ever need to talk more, we are hear to listen! *hugs*
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

Thank you all for your gentle words and understanding. It does help
to share it with others who understand. To others in my life he was
"that creepy dog with no eyes'. I don't think they will miss him, but
I do, and I thank you so much for your sympathy.

Yes, my Piper is whole once more and running free without worrying about
hitting anything -- or me, as he's bulldozed me more than a few times. I
will see him again at The Bridge, and I look forward to that big hug and
his welcoming grin. But for now, Storme is curled up with Fitzroy, Piper's
cat, in his favorite spot in the hallway, and I think they've got the right of
it. We'll love and remember him, and go on.

Thank you all for your kindness.