So mad!!!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Desiree

So mad!!!

Post by Desiree »

I need to vent!!! Our neighbors have a beautiful Chow who is about 8 years old. This poor dog has spent his enitre life chained to a post in their carport :evil: They don't every take him for walks, or brush or bathe him, ever... Last summer I went over there after telling the teenage kids and the mom he needed to be brushed repeatedly and shaved him myself. I didn't want to shave him but his fur was matted to the skin. I did have one of the kids call to ask her if she minded if I shaved him and she was fine with that, but was mad when she got home that he was ugly. I told her if they bothered to brush him even once a week that shaving wouldn't be needed, but since they don't the mats were hurting him and I wasn't going to hurt him trying to brush them out at that point. Fast forward to this summer.. Same story. Still hasnt had a bath since before I shaved him last year, no flea treatment or vet... I check on him daily to make sure he has food and water, which most of the time he doesn't until I give him some. So finally in August when it was over 100 every day for about 3 days, I called the humane society. They came and left a note and told her she needed to get him groomed and get him to the vet. He had fleas so bad he had scratched himself raw in a few places. They got him shaved, and got his skin taken care of, and were good about making sure he had food and water for about a month. Now I am back to feeding and watering him daily and it is starting to get cold and he still has no dog house. I lied when she asked me if I called the humane society since our houses are only about 10 ft apart and I didn't want to start a war between us and I can't just move. I know its cowardly... The humane society won't take the dog and the city shelter is a kill shelter so I don't want to call animal control. I just don't know what else to do for the poor guy. He is a very sweet dog.. Thanks for letting me rant.
dontpugme

Re: So mad!!!

Post by dontpugme »

I know the feeling. My relatives up north have an English Bulldog. The dog gets vet care because he has so many allergies and daily walks, but other than that, the dog stays in a crate that is waaaay too small. Apparently its because the dog was jumping on people. When we went up to visit, i showed them that it was attention seeking behavior and how to deal with it, but i doubt they were really listening. I got him to stop jumping the day i was there, but they didn't carry on. They had a few more behavior problems that wouldn't be that hard to curb. They just didn't take the time. They live in New Jersey, so keep telling my mom to phone them and tell them to go to an IMOTD casting. :D :lol:
--dontpugme
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

The thing is, to many folks, animal stewardship simply is not that important-- it isn't a priority, the way it is with us. If fixing an animal's behavior is going to take more effort than they are willing to put in (which is anything more than one five minute session), then they will resign themselves to putting up with it. If getting rid of an animal's fleas and mats is going to take more than just waving a magic wand or putting on a special collar, then they will let the animal suffer. It just isn't that important to them. You have to remember, that technically speaking, those of us who post here regularly are "geeks" in the dog ownership world. And, as Mr. Fundog has to remind me, getting angry at people isn't going to change their attitude about how they view/treat their dogs and cats. Since moving to Idaho, where most dogs and cats are not "pets," but mere livestock, it has been a hard reality for me to wrap my mind around. :evil:

But at least we can come here and vent to other "geeks" who understand our angst. :(
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

It is a maddening and frustrating situation. I'm so sorry, both for you and for the chow.
But you are doing all you can for the dog. The only options I can see are to continue
personally taking care of the dog as you have been doing, or get the authorities involved
and settle it once and for all if you can.

I had a situation with my neighbors horses being starved and neglected. I fed them
over the fence and worried over them and did what I could to help. My vet finally
chewed me out about it, calling me an enabler and basically telling me that by
allowing these horses to survive on my charity, I was only prolonging their abuse.
His advise was to leave it alone, let it get really bad (which wouldn't take long), then
call animal control and get them taken away from the owner so their suffering would
end. I had to admit he had a point. I couldn't do it, just cut them off and face those
pleading faces when I set out hay for my horses, so I kept feeding them. Then came
the day I stepped out my door to find they'd escaped their field and come to me.
One of them eating the bird seed from my feeder and the other lying across my doorway.
I realized that it had to end. Whether euthanized or adopted, those horses needed out
of there. I made the call and I have no regrets. Just about anything was better than
what they were enduring.

It's not an easy decision either way, but it's up to you, what you can bear to see
happening, how concerned you are about your neighbor's retaliation -- and how
good an actor/liar you are when you disavow any knowledge of the authorities
involvement. Either way you go, at least you've done your best for this poor
dog, and I applaud you for getting involved in his sad life. Eight years tied to
a post is no life at all, especially when you cannot count on the basics of food
and water appearing at regular intervals. :(

Hang in there, oh compassionate one. I'm sure the chow will thank you,
whichever way you decide to co.
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

My hubby sometimes tells my anything would be better than the life he's got. I have even considered just taking him and dropping him off at the no-kill shelter a county over. They would probably take better care of him than his owners do. I just can't understand why people get dogs and then don't take care of them. I know I'm not the best dog owner ever, but at least I try and I care about my dogs. It just makes me so mad to see him like that. I know some people have different ideas of what being a good dog owner is and some people think its perfectly fine to have a dog on a chain, and thats not against the law to chain them. But atleast have the kindness to feed and water them on a daily basis.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Fundog wrote:You have to remember, that technically speaking, those of us who post here regularly are "geeks" in the dog ownership world.
HEY!!! who you calling a geek???? :oops:
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

This is the one time I will own up to being a geek :D Well that and I have to admit to being a Harry Potter nerd. I am sooo Hermoine :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Isn't that normal? 8)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

I don't think in my area it is :D But I don't care, I will defy them all!!!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

jacksdad wrote:
Fundog wrote:You have to remember, that technically speaking, those of us who post here regularly are "geeks" in the dog ownership world.
HEY!!! who you calling a geek???? :oops:
If the term fits, wear it--- with PRIDE!!! :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

Ok, I am about done trying to be nice to my neighbors. Four days ago I gave them the about 20 lbs of dog food since I had just changed what my dogs were eating. They haven't fed him in the last 3 days. I have gone over and watered him. I gave him a couple cups of what I feed my dogs now but at $50 for a 30 pound bag, I can't afford to keep feeding him. Guess I should have kept the food instead of giving it to them. Thats what happens when you try to be nice... I will be calling the humane society again on Monday. Im sure by some fluke someone will have fed him by the time they get there so they wont be able to do anything. UGH!!! :evil: What the hell is wrong with some people? I know that she started crying when they came to talk to her befoe about how much she loves her dog and doesn't want to lose him, so why doesnt she take care of him?
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Maybe you should take some videos and/or pictures, one that has a date/time stamp on it, and save it for evidence. Send it to the Humane Society, Animal Control, and so on. When they come, they'll have the evidence to prove otherwise! Don't just video it for one day, video it everyday. Your neighbors will have to prove that they fed the dog, however, your video evidence will show otherwise.
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

That is a great idea!!! Thank you. I will have to do that.
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

My aunt lives next door us and she used to do herding with her dogs. So we have a big sheep pen next to our house. Now the sheep are sold and one of my dads worker's dog uses the sheep pen for his chow chow gorda. Its kinda sad cuz she doesnt get any attention. She barks at anyone who comes near the sheep pen/Afraid of lots of people.
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

The neighborhood animal situation just gets worse... Other neighbors have a 6 month old outside cat who not suprisingly, got hit by a car about 5 days ago. This is the second one of hers in a month. The first one she had put to sleep. This one they have never even taken to the vet. It obviously has something broken, pelvis maybe. I understand being broke and not being able to afford cat surgery, but seriously... No pain meds, no nothing. The only thing they have done was feed it soft food the 1st couple of days. The cat is liming around now. I wish I could afford to take it to the vet myself, but I have too many of my own vet bills to pay. I really have to move and get away from these people before I go insane..