For Emma and any other reptile lovers

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

leslie123

For Emma and any other reptile lovers

Post by leslie123 »

I came across these photos my son took of a tree frog that came to visit us a few nights ago. I love the first one especially which was taken from inside the house. The other two are from outside. I wish they were sharper, but they are cute nonetheless.

Hello.. Anyone home??

dontpugme

Re: For Emma and any other reptile lovers

Post by dontpugme »

That little frog is so cute, but this reminds me of the dissections we did in class last year. :? :cry: :lol: :D
--dontpugme
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Not that it really matters, and I don't really mean to make anyone feel stupid, but.... frogs are actually amphibians, not reptiles. And they are also snake FOOD.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Luckily it wasn't the Internal Revenue Service, Leslie123! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been seeing unusual insects, amphibians, and reptiles where I live and I know they aren't native to my state! :shock: For example, not only have I've seen teal or torqouis-colored bees, I've seen red and other different colored bees, I've strangely-marked snakes, toads, frogs, but I've seen comically-marked butterflies, especially one that was almost a flourescent orange with white circles like the ones you see in printed cartoons where the words of the characters are written, around that, a bright green rings that circle those white circles I spoke about earlier; and here's the clincher, under this one I've described so far, underneath the butterfly, it is black with fluorescent-green, rounded hearts! :shock:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
leslie123

Re: For Emma and any other reptile lover ~ahem~ amphibian too!

Post by leslie123 »

Fundog wrote:Not that it really matters, and I don't really mean to make anyone feel stupid, but.... frogs are actually amphibians, not reptiles. And they are also snake FOOD.
Oh my gosh! I knew that.doh! :oops: Yeah, I realize they are snake food, we have those around too. We're always on the lookout when walking, specially in the wooded areas where Sulley likes to go best of course. I'm sure its much more interesting smell-wise for him.
wvvdiup1 wrote:Luckily it wasn't the Internal Revenue Service, Leslie123! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've been seeing unusual insects, amphibians, and reptiles where I live and I know they aren't native to my state! :shock: For example, not only have I've seen teal or torqouis-colored bees, I've seen red and other different colored bees, I've strangely-marked snakes, toads, frogs, but I've seen comically-marked butterflies, especially one that was almost a flourescent orange with white circles like the ones you see in printed cartoons where the words of the characters are written, around that, a bright green rings that circle those white circles I spoke about earlier; and here's the clincher, under this one I've described so far, underneath the butterfly, it is black with fluorescent-green, rounded hearts! :shock:
Wow, have you looked any of these up? I would guess the snakes, toads and frogs could be exotic pet releases, but clueless on the bees and butterflies. I wonder if your state's Dept of Natural Resources would be interested in knowing especially about the bees? If you ever get any photos I'd love to see. Maybe I should change the title of the thread to "What have you seen in your yard lately?" :lol:
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera for the other "things" in my back yard. However, I did take a picture of the comically-marked butterfly I told all of you about in my last post.

Unfortunately, Mother Nature can be a comic when it comes to taking pictures of certain "critters", as you will see! :( (Sorry the picture didn't take too well!) :(
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

AH-HA! I have a video of this "comical-lookin'" butterfly! :D
http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/ss31 ... 0_0281.mp4
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Soooooooooo cute, I looooooove the Froggy!

Sandy - tell me truthfully now..... you sit there and catch these bugs and paint them bright colours don'tcha.. im sure you do... they are awesome!

Who else has weird and wonderful wildlife piccies from around their homes?? )Er, no one get bitten by anything bitey please!)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Wes

Post by Wes »

Not exactly wildlife, but fits with the unusual theme. This is my bearded dragon, Kallie (short for Kalvin, we thought she was a boy when she was a baby).

Sleeping on my bed.

Waiting for a friend of mine in the grocery store parking lot. She's about three months old in these pictures. She's around 18 weeks right now, over 100 grams and about 13 inches nose to tail. Also sorry for pic quality, my phone camera hates me. :lol:
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Emmabeth wrote:
Sandy - tell me truthfully now..... you sit there and catch these bugs and paint them bright colours don'tcha.. im sure you do... they are awesome!
Seriously Emmabeth, have you seen any of my "Caveman Drawings?" :lol: :lol: :lol: I wish I could draw and color that good! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for the pictures of the different colored bees, except for the teal/torquis/green bee I took a picture of about a couple of months ago, I don't have any, and wish I had some and some of the odd insects I see around here, because there is one theory that a certain type or breed of bee may be killing our honey bees and I would like to know if these bees are the culprits, in addition to why we are experiencing CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder); that is, do these other types or breeds of bees or insects cause CCD? By the way, the teal/torquis/green bee (I'll see if I can post that picture here on my post) is identified as a mud bee, and what I know about mud bees, they are destructive, especially to houses! :shock:

AHH, I see that it works! :D
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

Once again outside the front door we had a visitor. I just love these things, so cool.

wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

We have those! :D We just call them "Stick Bugs" and they're awesome! :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Woooooooo Sticky McStick insect! :D Funky stuff. Our insects are so borrrrrrrrrring in comparison! Ill see if i can find a spider to harrass in a mo when I go take pics of the snakes...
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Emmabeth, when are we going to see pictures of your new snakes? :D By the way, I'll send some "Stick Bugs" or whatever they're called, along with some Praymantis (or are they Praymanti?) to you. How does that sound? :twisted: HEEHEEHEE :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Praying Mantises creep me out. We had one in the hall by my classroom a few weeks ago. The kids all wanted to kill it but were too scared to touch it. I told them to leave it alone or else it would eat their fingers. They stayed away after that.