Unimpressed

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

Unimpressed

Post by Sarah83 »

My neighbours have 2 Yorkies who I don't think are ever walked and who charge the fence barking and snarling if I so much as open the back door. Poor Rupe can't even go out to do his business without their frenzied snarling. Anyway, I spent ages teaching him to ignore these dogs, to stay away from the fence and not react to their barking and he did absolutely great. He'd lie out there by the shed and sunbathe completely oblivious to them while they had apoplexy at the opposite end of the garden at the sheer nerve of us to be in our garden. I tried blocking the place they can see through but that didn't help any :?

Well, last week I was out there picking up after Rupert and happened to be close to the fence when they were let out. Of course they rushed at me barking and snarling and Rupert shot across the garden at the speed of light to defend me from these tiny dogs. Now he runs to the fence if he hears them and just stands there, refuses to come away for anything and the moment I go near he attacks them. If Idon't go near he doesn't attack but also won't come away. Sigh. Back to square one and teaching him to ignore them all over again because the neighbours certainly won't even try to teach theirs not to stand at the fence and yell at us (for hours if we're out there that long). Long line and harness are by the back door again.

Don't you just hate set backs? And people who refuse to even try to curb unacceptable behaviour in their dogs?
***Melissa***

Re: Unimpressed

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Hugs, Sarah.

I know what you mean. The people in the apartment next to us have a min pin, who is an OUTSIDE dog :roll: and doesn't ever get any attention, nevermind exercise. :evil:

She also barks constantly, and whenever she gets a chance to come into our yard or house, she takes it. I used to allow it, only because I feel sorry for her (my dogs are very nice to her), but once, she was sitting on my lap during one of these "visists", and Striker approached me and she growled at Strikes. So since then I don't allow "visits" anymore, although I still feel sorry for her my dogs come first.

I honestly wish people would rather not get dogs if they can't provide everything that's necessary. :roll:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I think it is time you contacted the Council Sarah, this is excessive barking and they can take action if your neighbours don't stop it.

They will just get a letter at first to say there has been a complaint about the barking, the Council can't tell them who complained and if they say anything you can deny it. :wink:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

It's not the council Mattie, we're on a military base and I have absolutely no idea who we're supposed to complain to. We're having problems with another neighbour and music so loud it's shaking my house yet nobody cares. I also don't want to cause problems for my hubby at work as our neighbour outranks him and is the sort to use that to get revenge. He's already caused problems for him over nothing :( His wife feels she's superior to me as her hubby outranks mine :roll: and refuses to even acknowledge my existance.

I really can't wait until we're out of here.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Hugs Sarah
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Thanks Mattie. I've gotten used to how the neighbours are and can tune out their dogs barking but this set back has wound me up.

I don't know whether the first time he went after them he thought they were attacking me and jumped in to help or whether me being close to the fence gave him the confidence to have a go or what. I seem to be the trigger whatever the reason. He puts himself between wherever I am and these dogs but only attacks if I get close to him and them, he just stands between us otherwise. His "attacks" aren't intense either, he's calm and once moved away is his usual self unlike when we run into a dog on the street. If he's out alone and I watch through the window rather than standing at the back door he ignores them still.

We'll get through it with a bit of re-training and if I've got to be near their fence I'll make sure Rupert isn't out.
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

Hang in there Sarah! I'm going through similar issues myself. For some unknown reason most of the dog owners in this county let their dogs roam free all the time. Not just let them out to go potty and come back in either. They set them out in the morning and just let them go wherever. :x I live right next to a pretty busy road too. I'm constantly having to change routes when I take walks with Sulley cause I never know how a loose, unsupervised dog is going to act. The worst offender in our neighborhood happens to be on the volunteer fire dept and has connections (if not cousins) with people "of authority" in the county. We've only lived here 8 years and to most people in this part of the country that makes us an outsider. :roll: All I know is that I'm sick and tired of chasing dogs out of my yard, picking up their poop when I don't chase them quick enough and having to play dodge the loose dog just to take a walk with my puppy. :evil: Is it too much to expect a dog owner who supposedly cares for their dog to keep it safe on their property? I just don't get it. :?