sleepless nights

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

zoe

sleepless nights

Post by zoe »

Hi can anybody help with a problem, my son has a black labrador
retriever puppy 6 months old called Charlie, he is gorgeous, but insists in waking up at about 4.30-5am every morning. this problem is waking the kids and causing frayed tempers from very tired owners.
Has anyone any tips or has anyone else had this problem, if so how did you deal with it. I would offer to have him at my house but my retriever has just had cruciate ligament surgery and cannot cope with Charlie jumping about at the moment.
Sam-chan

Post by Sam-chan »

I'm afraid the best thing to do is grit your teeth and ignore it. If Charlie realises that whining in the early hours of the morning is getting him nowhere, he will stop eventually.
Springersrule

Post by Springersrule »

Is Charlie waking up because he needs go to the toilet, or is is it because he wants to play?

One of my springers was an early riser, a week of late night training sessions before she went to bed changed her routine, tired her out so she didn't wake up so early.
spanielsrule

Post by spanielsrule »

A couple of other things to consider:
Has this just started, or has he always been an early riser? If the former, then it would suggest that something has changed. If the latter, then it will be a routine. I imagine that he gets a reaction when he wakes up - this will be a "reward" and helps to establish a sleeping pattern. (The same can happen with people - many can rise at the same time every day without an alarm clock!)
I'd also be interested to know what time he is put to bed. If it is quite early then it is possible he is needing out to the toilet. I'd also agree with Springersrule - tire him out at night, and he'll sleep better!
Good luck! :)
"No matter how little money, and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." (Louis Sabin)
LBF