I feel like a bad owner

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

leslie123

I feel like a bad owner

Post by leslie123 »

Is it okay to say that I knew a puppy would be work, but I underestimated it? Sometimes I think I need my head examined for taking this on. Its been 10 years since I had a toddler in the house and I didn't anticipate the puppy being as much as, no probably more mentally, emotionally and physically demanding than my kids were! :lol: I love him to pieces of course. I think some of it is that I'm at home all day when my kids are at school and my husband working. I've pretty much taken on learning to train him, so I initiate everything. Is it horrible to say that I so look forward to him maturing to adulthood and to seeing those glimpses of a mature Sulley. I feel kind of guilty thinking that. Nothing in particular happened really, well one thing with my cats which I'll probably post in the training thread in case there is anyone else that can benefit from the topic. Guess I'm just a bit stressed, add to that, that I seem to have developed some kind of problem with my foot, so its in constant pain when I try to walk and play with Sulley. I'll probably have to go have it checked out if it doesn't feel better. I feel horrible for having these moments when he feels like a burden. :(
Fundog

Re: I feel like a bad owner

Post by Fundog »

Don't worry-- you're not alone! A lot of folks have come on here and said, "Oh, what have I done? I must be out of my freaking mind! What was I thinking?" :lol: I admit, even I was looking forward to the day Annie would no longer be a puppy, but a properly grown up lady dog! Now my family and I look back on her puppyhood with longing for that cute little ball of adorable curls and sharp little puppy teeth. :lol: :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Of course its ok!

Welcome to the REAL world of dog ownership, you are a perfectly normal person!

Puppies are incredibly hard work, very demanding on your time and emotional resources, frustrating, irritating, heart breaking, drive you to foul language and tears...

But then they wag a tail or **** their head to one side, or fall asleep looking cute and you forgive them, and eventually just when you thought youd go completely insane... you realise your horrible puppy has grown into a pretty nice adult dog and canine friend... and it was all worth it.

I love how cute puppies are, but that cuteness is just Mother Natures way of tricking us into giving these hairy little life-wreckers houseroom until they grow up to be nice! I much prefer sensible adult dogs, I can tell you!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

oh boy have I had those "what were you thinking getting then keeping this dog? Your completely over your head and unprepared"

but it passes :D

I haven't it's been a while since I have had those overwhelmed feelings, and now I can't imagine not being the one taking care of Jack.
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

My first puppy was a very active, clever GSD who gnawed on my ankles
something awful. I remember very clearly thinking how peaceful it was
at home while she was at the vet being spayed. I missed her, but I
certainly enjoyed that 24 hour vacation. :lol:

I'd say we've all been there. It's only a problem if someone decides the puppy
isn't worth the time, or if you feel it should be locked away until maturity,
which clearly you don't. The time will pass, and then as Fundog says,
you'll be remembering the good cute puppy times. Hang in there. Each
day brings you closer to the wonderful adult dog you envision :)
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Welcome to the club, we have all been there, every dog I have had I have been like this including my little Dolly. :lol: As quickly as I managed to stop her opening a window in the caravan, she finds out how to open another one. :evil:

It will pass alot quicker than having a toddler thank goodness, take plenty of photos of her getting into mischief, you can then laugh about it when she as a lovely, adult dog. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

As Mattie has said "Welcome to the club," we've all been there and have made mistakes along the way. However, there is no shame in asking for help when you don't know if you're doing the right thing, whether it is training your dog, deciding on whether or not you should take your dog to the vet, or what foods to feed your dog.

In a way, puppies are like children: they grow up fast -well puppies really do! Just do your best, and if you need any help, we're here for you! Just look at as another challenge you've done before and remember what you've learned from the past and what you have learned here. You'll do fine! :D

By the way Fundog, that's the first time I've ever heard you say "freaking!" :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Yep, we have all been there, don't feel bad :D

The puppyness will pass sooner than you think, and you will have a wonderful adult dog...and you will occasionally miss the times when he was still a pupper :lol:
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
BCMumto3

Post by BCMumto3 »

I reckon bringing up a puppy is a bit like giving birth ... you forget just how hard it was and how much you said 'never again' and start wanting another one :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Oh yes, another club member here, and I of all people should remember between pups what puppies are like :lol: but now my final (I think) puppy will be 2 in November and has grown into a charming creature, I miss :roll: I think I miss - those puppy snuggles and that puppy whirlwind! and the way everything is oooh lookit wow see that!

They all test you differently too :mrgreen: each new pupper finds a way you had never thought of to teach you something more.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

Ok.. if I can see through this fog of tears to type. Just wanting to thank everyone. It really is a relief to know that even the best dog owners (what I consider all of you to be) have moments of doubt and frustration. Thanks for the chance to vent a little, it always helps me gain a little perspective. And now as I am typing this Sulley comes running from the direction of my kids bathroom with that little puppy dash he always gets when he's got something in his mouth he shouldn't. You all know the one I'm sure. His butt slightly tucked and to the side and ears all laid back as he dashes past. Turns out he grabbed my son's hair gel! :lol: :lol: Guess Sulley wants a new do! I have to say, he's really good about dropping the item he just pilfered, then he looks up at me with that look of puppy happiness. Yes, I am most certainly completely smitten with him and while I do look forward to my grown up gentleman, I will let the moments of puppy bliss carry me through the hard times until then!
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

:lol: Emmabeth always say puppies are cute for a reason - otherwise they wouldn't survive. That is so true :D

I gave mine raw meaty bones (frozen in summer) or kongs - that kept them busy for a while...I used that time to catch up on housework and a little relaxing also :wink:

Hang in there, we have all been though puppies, we UNDERSTAND
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

leslie123 wrote:And now as I am typing this Sulley comes running from the direction of my kids bathroom with that little puppy dash he always gets when he's got something in his mouth he shouldn't. You all know the one I'm sure. His butt slightly tucked and to the side and ears all laid back as he dashes past. Turns out he grabbed my son's hair gel! :lol: :lol:
That is your son's fault for not closing his bedroom door, he will learn that he now has to keep it shut. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

wvvdiup1 wrote:
By the way Fundog, that's the first time I've ever heard you say "freaking!" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: It happens from time to time. I actually have a rather "colorful" vocabulary in person. :lol: :lol: :lol:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

Mattie wrote: That is your son's fault for not closing his bedroom door, he will learn that he now has to keep it shut. :lol:
Yes! I'm always preaching "set the puppy up for success" Thank you Sulley for driving the point home. :D