My darling, sweet Ellie

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Mattie

My darling, sweet Ellie

Post by Mattie »

Ellie came to me for 10 days in 2007, she had come into the pound in terrible condition and with 2 large tumours, on her 7th day RDR took her over, took her to the vet to have the tumours taken off, the following day she came to me to recuperate before going to a Staffy Rescue. The day before Ellie was due to have her stitches out the rescue said they no longer had room for Ellie, it was decided that she would stay with me until a new home was found for her.

At that time what nobody realised, though others did quite quickly, Ellie had already decided she wasn’t moving on to anyone else, she was staying even though she preferred to be an only dog and had to live with 5 others.

Ellie fitted in really well, she is the best temperamented dog I have ever had and that is saying something, she was so good with other dogs, people and children, a dream of a dog to have as long as you wanted the same as she wanted otherwise she could decide she was having her own way.

Ellie’s breathing has never been good, in January 2009 she went in to have 2 lumps taken off and couldn’t breath, thanks to my vets I have had another 20 months with her, they put a tracheotomy in and gave her a new life.

Apart from having another 4 lumps taken off during the following 8 months, Ellie was fit and well, she could breath properly for the first time and really enjoyed her life especially being away in the caravan which she loved.

A few weeks ago Ellie nearly died because the tracheotomy blocked with scar tissue, after a mad drive to the vets trying to keep her airway open the vets put a bigger tracheotomy in and Ellie came home. Several times it blocked with dried mucus but was easy to clear. We have spent the last few weeks just enjoying each other’s company, she went everywhere I went whenever I was able to take her. Being such a good dog, she was easy to take round with me.

I woke up at 5am this morning, Ellie looked asleep but wasn’t quite right, she had passed away in her sleep and was still warm. She looked so peaceful in her final sleep.

Sleep well Ellie, I am sure Gracie, Joe and Merlin will take care of you and you are now with your daddy who you never met on earth, he will also take good care of you. You are my 4th dog to go to the Rainbow Bridge in 11 months, My heart is breaking.

Ellie’s pound picture

The day she arrived.

2 months later

In the caravan showing the tracheotomy site

Bedtime, Ellie and Merlin

One of my all time favourite photos, Ellie with her sister Gracie and brother Joe, they often slept like this, now all 3 are at the Bridge together along with Merlin.

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Re: My darling, sweet Ellie

Post by Nettle »

Oh Mattie, I am so sorry.

What a lovely life you gave that troubled little dog, and she even stayed a little longer just for you.

Nothing will take the pain away, but I hope some cyberhugs will help. The memories are yours for ever, and Ellie is only a thought away, still watching over you, and I suspect plotting to send you another dog in her own time. Not a replacement because nothing ever replaces, but a teacher, because they all come to teach us.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

Oh Mattie...

It was such a rough year for you.

I'm so sorry about Ellie. Tons of hugs for you, you are in my thoughts.
xxx
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I'm so sorry Mattie, it's not been a good year for you at all. :cry:
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Oh Mattie. I'm so sorry!
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Mattie, you and Ellie are so lucky to have found each other. She's at peace now, and she enjoyed her life with you. My thoughts are with you both.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh, Mattie..... Know that we are all sharing your grief. (My face is wet, after reading of your loss). Cyber hugs from me and the girls.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I thought she was asleep but it did't look right, I realised afterwards she wasn't breathing, Ellie does sleep very deeply since the last op so I tried to wake her up, it was the I realised she had gone. :cry: :cry: :cry:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Awwwww, I am so sorry, but Ellie would never have had the quality or quantity of life she had if you had not openend your heart and home to her.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Mattie, sooooo sorry to hear about Ellie. Wish there was some words to share to make it hurt less.

those are some great pictures to remember her by though.
Jenna316

Post by Jenna316 »

My thoughts are with you today Mattie. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Oh Mattie, there isn't anything I can say but I wish I could fix your broken heart. Just take peace from the fact that the lives you have given all these four, especially Ellie, has made a huge difference, both to them and to everyone else they have helped you to help by sharing their experiences. Our dogs never stop teaching us, and as long as you hold that banner high and keep teaching others then Ellie will never be forgotten.

Rest in blissful peace Ellie, and llok after yourself Mattie. Someone else will find you in time, and I am sure Ellie has her eye out for the special one who will help you to heal a little. I wish I could give you a hug in person, but I am thinking of you, and Horus is sending lots of licks on the nose - his special "sad" kiss. :( I am so glad Ellie went in her own time though, and didn't ask you to make the decision for her.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Oh Mattie....

Words seem so inadequate at times like these - hugs for you, I cant begin to imagine how awful it must be to realise she'd gone, but I hope you can take comfort from the fact she went peacefully in her own time knowing she was safe and loved.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Mattie, I'm so sorry for your loss and for all the grief you've had this year. You gave Ellie a beautiful life and a peaceful passing. Be kind to yourself and grieve at your own pace. Thanks for sharing those pictures with us.
Wicket

Post by Wicket »

Mattie, I'm sorry for your loss. :( Lots of hugs to you and your doggies...