Myths you've encountered about positive dog training

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Carol F. King

Re: Myths you've encountered about positive dog training

Post by Carol F. King »

I have been involved in the Mainstream Assistance Dog World (guide, hearing, Service Dogs) for the last 15 years. I've heard Directors of Assistance Dog Training Programs state, that positive training is not dependable, without "fear" the dog will get distracted, or just decide not to do a command that would leave their "person" in danger.

I do not believe this. I also know that with this person I am wasting my breath to express a different point of view. I personally believe that a dog trained with positive training is more dependable. I AM NOT A DOG TRAINER. In the USA individual can legally train their own Assistance Dog and that owner trained dog is covered by the same laws that cover Assistance Dog Training Programs.

The waiting list in the USA for an Assistance Dog other than a Guide Dog is 2-7 years. I have trained 5 dogs to be my Assistance Dog. Three of them became fully trained Assistance Dogs and took care of me for many years. Two "washed out" they did not have the personality to work in public. They made great pets, and great Therapy Dogs (visited patients in hospitals etc.) My first Assistance Dog I trained the "old way" because I was new, didn't know any better etc. After about 2 years in our partnership I took some classes on "Click and Treat" Since that time I have used treats and lure to train. My dogs were as dependable as any of the other Assistance Dogs even Program Trained Dogs.

I felt I had/have a much greater bond with my dogs using positive training. I adore my dogs and they know it. They love me back, and follow their training (as long as I keep it up (embarrassed grin, I told you I'm not a dog trainer)

Carol F. King
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I was once talking to a dog trainer who has a very good reputation for training gun dogs, he used to train dogs for the army and said that when you use positive training if you are in trouble the dog will look after you and give their lives for you, if you use fear and are in trouble the dog will take care of himself as he doesn't trust you. Armies depend on their dogs for many things, the soldiers have to have very reliable dogs which they don't if trained with fear.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Carol F. King

Post by Carol F. King »

I agree Mattie. When a narrow minded person, (trainer or other) has a major problem with a dog it seems it is easier to blame anything including the positive training rather than look at themselves. I know the Lady that trained me pointed out that the problem 99% of the time is "handler error, handler error :wink: I know when I start breaking down a problem with my dogs training I can trace it back to me, "handler error" :shock:

Carol F. King