Immediate help requested

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Simba

Immediate help requested

Post by Simba »

I have had a difficult time finding a suitable place (I did find an OK one eventually; however, there would not be any other dogs in the home and I believe Simba would be bored since he is such a social animal) to board Simba for our trip to assist my mom with a cardiac procedure which is very shortly.

A neighbor, who's dog Simba has played with (same breed, same age) for many months and they play real nicely together, offered to watch him because they want to see what having two dogs would be like since they are considering getting another dog.

Simba is a mellow/well adjusted/ balanced/conscious/fairly well trained fifteen month old and his friend is a not. We brought Simba over there last night for a visit and his friend was running around like a maniac around the house jumping on coffee tables (he did eventually calm down somewhat and he does get adequate exercise so that is not a factor in my thinking). Simba who has visited, and even had two overnights, many places since we began looking for appropriate boarding for him squatted a peed in their house! He has never done that since he was a young baby!

QUESTION: Can Simba's friend's frenetic energy, and the rough housing the ten year old boy and the fifty-seven year old dad do with their dog rub off on Simba?
My Best Buddy...
emmabeth

Re: Immediate help requested

Post by emmabeth »

Yes. yes it can.

It is unlikely that the damage done would be permanent if he merely lost his good manners/learned to roughhouse and generally behave out of control as their dog does.

IF they allowed their dog (or their methods) to actually frighten him or cause him pain then that would be much much harder to fix.

From the sounds of it, I doubt i would let a dog of mine stay there, though i also doubt that real harm would come of it.

His squatting and peeing there in the home doesnt surprise me in the least, it sounds like a high stress, high anxiety situation and poor Simba had NO idea 'which way was up'.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I'm with Emmabeth. I don't think the stay is likely to go very well-- squatting and peeing in the house is a very strong sign, and it is likely to continue throughout the duration of Simba's stay there. That could potentially cause him to "wear out his welcome" very quickly, and that would only make the situation worse.

And I would advise your friends against getting a second dog at this time as well. Their first dog needs a LOT more training and calming down before they bring in another addition. :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

In your position I'd leave him in boarding kennels. It does not have so much scope to cause damage.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Simba

Post by Simba »

Thank you all for your input. I will consider it all.

I am out of time to do more; however, an alternative is a place with mildewed carpets. He would be safe and well cared for and what prevents me from jumping ahead is how after only one night stay there he smelled horrible and I am thinking he is lying on the carpet breathing in the mildew all the time and hanging out in that same area during the day. If the weather was not in the 90's and very humid then he could be outside more. My husband noticed a leak in her ceiling so we are thinking she may have cleaned the carpets and not the padding so the mildew still remains.

He loves this other dog and it sounded like an ideal situation until we brought him over there last night and felt the lack of calmness in the environment. Thank you again. All help is appreciated. This is the first time he will be away from us since we rescued this darling 7.5 lb/8 week old. We are having separation anxiety - he, probably not so much since he is sooooooooo well socialized.

We want a safe, clean place for him where he will have fun. A boarding kennel will not work because he has never been crated and has full run of the house at all times and I do not want to add a layer of stress to his being away plus he is not neutered and kennels do not take dogs that are not.
My Best Buddy...
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'd go with the mildewed carpets. They'll cause a lot less damage than the insecurity, the horseplay, the whole antsiness of the other place.

My apologies about the boarding kennels: I was assuming yours were like the ones in UK where each dog has its own sleeping area and separate run, plus an exercise area, and they happily take unneutered dogs. The only caveat is that, for insurance purposes, all dogs have to be vaccinated.

I would certainly not use a place where dogs were kept crated.

Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Some of our boarding Kennels are that way. We actually have one where I live that has separate runs and all. Each dog (or pair if they're from the same household) is put in it's own space, they do have some together play time. At ours you can pay for your dog to swim in the pool or go on a nature walk, have a bloody birthday party. It's like summer camp for your dog. We had thought about putting ours there, but their training philosophies don't align with what we believe, so we tend to just have a pet sitter come to our house.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Yes, I am leaning quickly towards the mildewed carpets. He is still a young guy and I will just give him some things to boost his immune system. Lesser of the two evils sort of thing....

There is supposed to be a good boarding facility like you described well over an hour from here. I think that is not too practical generally. Also, a home environment is best for him because that is what he is used to. I doubt he would enjoy his own run/kennel type of thing. He always does, like playing with dogs, though.

The mildewed place is extremely safe for him and there are other dogs and activities around to keep him stimulated. He seemed totally fine, and bonded with the woman who runs the place, when I picked him up for his overnight stay. The main caveat I had was the mildewed carpets and that is what prompted me to search for additional options.

Since we are out of time I will have to suck it up and use this place and when I return continue to seek a better situation for him sans mildew! All your input has helped me to make the decision. Yesterday, I just did not know what was best for the Simba since respiratory illness is not something I wish for my puppy. Hopefully, his week stay will not produce any long term negative effects. Thanks again.

I spoke to his Vet and she says that most of her clients find it difficult to locate a real good place for their pups. Sounds like a good business idea or a reason to move to a place that does!
My Best Buddy...
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I would go with mildew over unruly other dog - presumably simba wont be spending his entire week there shut in an airless damp room with the mildew anyway, he will be out and about doing stuff and getting fresh air etc too so he should be fine.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
stellatsar

Post by stellatsar »

[quote="Nettle"] "My apologies about the boarding kennels: I was assuming yours were like the ones in UK where each dog has its own sleeping area and separate run, plus an exercise area, and they happily take unneutered dogs. "

Nettle do you know any such good kennel in UK? I need it quite urgently
thanks
Stella
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Most boarding kennels here offer such options but I don't use them myself and so unfortunately I can't help you by recommending any. Sorry.

master2

Post by master2 »

Hi

There are some great Kennels in the UK it all comes down to price , and if there is a certain part of the UK you want them to be. Here's a few to look at.

If money is not an issue then here are tow really good kennels.

This one offers a dog hotel as well as kennels and also has a spa and hydrotherapy and canine needs , like certain diets, medication ect.

http://www.westlodgekennels.co.uk/luxur ... fullscreen

This is another good one but on the experience side , I have used these when no one in the family will look after my boys so I used these they also offers me a taxi service and came to pick my boys up. I highly recommend these

http://www.royvon.co.uk/dog-boarding/country-retreat/

Hopes this helps