Do you think this is okay?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

forkin14

Do you think this is okay?

Post by forkin14 »

FINALLY back in Virginia (althought it wasn't easy.. two day trip, hours worth of traffic, almost getting crushed by an 18-wheeler, and a speeding ticket just TEN minutes from home :shock: :lol: ) and sort of have a job. I'm helping out with my college's football team for a few weeks while Chris is working all day as well.
So we both leave the house at 8:30 am. We walk Cadence at 7 am so it's still cool, she has a chance to drink water and for us to take her out to potty before she goes in her crate. I usually get an hour break for lunch at 12:00 or 1:00, so I come home and play fetch outside with Cadence for 30 min, then leave so I can get food and get back to work in time. So Cadence goes back in her crate until around 4:00 pm..

Is this too long for her to be in her crate??
MPbandmom

Re: Do you think this is okay?

Post by MPbandmom »

Welcome back to Virginia! Would that 18 wheeler have been on 81? The trucks are horrible on that road.

It is good that you can come home at lunch to let Candace out.

I realize not all dogs can be given free run of the house alone all day. Do you have a room that you could put her into instead of a crate?
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

During the winter when it's cold and during the summer when it's EXTREMELY hot Bruiser and Dixie stay in their crates. Jason will leave for work at 7:45 and crate them, come home for lunch around noon. Potty and play for 30 minutes or so and I'm home anywhere between 4-5. They do well with it. They have Kongs in their crates with them and for the most part they nap.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I think it will be fine-- at least until your life evolves again into a different schedule. :)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

It's good to hear you made it back to Virginia in one piece, Forkin14! :D I'm just a curious as MPBandmom is about the 18-wheeler: Was that on I-81? :?: :?: :?:

It sounds like you have a good working schedule for your dog, Cadence, Forkin14! :D Just so long Cadence gets some exercise, potties, and attention, she will be okay. :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I think you have to do what you can with the schedule you have. I think you'll be fine. I can tell you that Murphy is much calmer now that he has one of us at home for a majority of the day, but he was alone longer than what you have planned for Cadence. I worry because you have issues with her hyperactivity (and I was always worried about Murphy's hyperactivity/reactivity with him being alone for so many hours daily) and that she might take a step back because of the hours she'll be spending alone. However I think if you do more mind games and puzzle/food toys it'll help her settle. I would really try to give her ALL her meals in Kongs and avoid feeding her out of the bowl altogether. I'm not sure if you're already doing this, so take that with a grain of salt.

Best of luck to you. I'm glad to hear you made it home safely.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

That's a good schedule. Cadence is a little younger than Max and now he has free run of the house. I transitioned him from crate to a long tether in the hallway. Then little by little we went out for short periods of time with him loose. We found that he just sleeps on his pillow or the floor. So-o-o, you might want to try it this way or just start with a room and gradually let her out for short amounts. Can you gate off your kitchen or another room as a transitional step? Part of having a dog is so they can guard the house. If a dog is crated its like not having a dog at all to bark away intruders at the door/window. Some dogs are so wound up/nervous/anxious they can never be trusted but you should try. By the time she is 2 she should have free roam. Thats not a hard & fast rule by I think its reasonable. (Reaching adulthood) I probably could have let Max have free roam earlier but of course I was unsure. (As you probably are)
well think about it.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Welcome home. I just got home too. It was a four hour flight, then a twelve hour flight, then an hour wait in the customs line. Then it was an hour to drive back home where I was really fighting jetlag. Ugh... But it was worth it because I'm back at home with Max.

That should be fine. Right now, Max is allowed to roam the house as he wishes, but normally he just naps while we are gone. Before that, he stayed in the laundry room. We never really left max in his crate. When wasn't fully housetrained we left him paper in the laundry room.
--dontpugme
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Dontpugme, where did you go on your vacation?

I wish I could get away from here and take Karma with me! I would love to go out to where Fundog now lives (she's invited a few of us to visit). I would like to see Idaho again and I think Karma would love it, too! :D So hopefully, if I can get away from life's responsibilties for the time being, I hope to get to travel again. 8)
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

wvvdiup1 wrote:Dontpugme, where did you go on your vacation?

I wish I could get away from here and take Karma with me! I would love to go out to where Fundog now lives (she's invited a few of us to visit). I would like to see Idaho again and I think Karma would love it, too! :D So hopefully, if I can get away from life's responsibilties for the time being, I hope to get to travel again. 8)
I went to the Philippines and took a 5 day sidetrip in Beijing. Thanks to the Great Wall, I cringe at the sight of stairs! :lol: We have to leave max with relatives that have agreed to watch him every other year for a little more then a month. They used to have this Border Collie named Pilgrim. He and max got along famously. Of course he got old and passed away a year ago. Now they have a shitzu and apparently max taught him how to roll in the mud. :lol: we do take max with us when we go to the beach or to the lake or the river. We don't like to kennel him because every time he has been kenneled, he's gotten tapeworms.
--dontpugme
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

That sounded like fun, Dontpugme! :D Just think of what you've learned and experienced! :wink:
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Thanks everyone!

She seems fine and isn't showing any unwanted behavior (well other than her usual :lol: ) as a result !