Would this concern you?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

Would this concern you?

Post by Sarah83 »

There are a ton of adverts up on the notice board of my local shop, 10-12 year olds offering to walk peoples dogs for a couple of pounds a walk. Now I'm all for kids earning their pocket money by doing jobs but is walking a strange dog really a good idea? Would you trust a child you didn't know to walk your dog? I sure as hell wouldn't even if Rupe didn't have issues.
troop

Re: Would this concern you?

Post by troop »

there are local kids that come to play with my dogs in the garden and one who walks with me but i dont like leaving dogs and children alone to be honest and a walk on their own is full of possible problems. i let a 16 year old take the dog out very occassionally and i have knowm him for a few years but i only do it when im ill
OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

I had a couple of neighbor boys ask if they could walk one of the dogs...they were 10 and 11 at the time. I said yes only because the dog knew them and liked them. Whenever I have the dogs out the kids come around to pet them and give them treats. I trusted this particular dog and knew the boys would be careful. Two of the four dogs I have now I'd allow a neighborhood child that age but no strangers. I've had a couple next door ask if they could take a dog with them on their walks..they aren't allowed dogs where they live...the dog loved them. I've never paid anyone to walk them...people just want a dog to walk sometimes...its those without a dog of their own I should add. Again its only with people I know and trust...I say no to more people than yes..I have to really know them..my fear is they wouldn't bring the dog back..so it comes down to who I trust.

Boys that age are easily distracted and can become playful so quickly and depending on the temperment of the dog could be a problem. I just don't know that I would hire a child to do this job.
============================================
My goal is to become the kind of person my pets think I am

My websites:
http://www.freewebs.com/ruthiesfanpages

My macaw said I'm a good girl and I believe him 8)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

No, and I wish other people wouldn't. :evil:

I have enough trouble with adults and their out-of-control dogs without seeing a couple of panicking children being dragged towards me and my dogs by a snarling mutt. I know one pair of kids where one stands still and the other carries a stick with which he hits the dog, whenever people pass. Still, it does keep the dog in one place. I've had some really nasty incidents involving children that have got out of their depth with a strange dog, and also with nice dogs being roughed up by children who don't know any different or are practising seen-on-TV techniques on the dog. An equally big risk is the ditsy teen on its mobile or listening to its music or probably both, while the dog is causing mayhem two fields away.

The laws here may well be different from yours, but here the dog's insurance would be invalidated if it were being exercised by a minor, and there is also the issue of who is in loco parentis when under-agers exercise your dog and another dog attacks it.

I think many of us remember childhood days of walking with other people's dogs because we couldn't have one of our own, but the world is more risky and more litigious now. The child could be the most sensible and reliable in the world: it still wouldn't be walking my dogs. Mr. Nettle is the only other person who does, and I can think of two other people, both dog behaviourists, I would entrust them to - but never off the lead even so.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I wholeheartedly agree that if you need or want someone to walk your dogs, they should be adults you not only trust, but adults who know your dogs and your dogs know them.
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

And they need to have the physical strength to keep the dog from dragging them down the street, should any startling surprises come up that would cause the dog to go ballistic.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Fundog wrote:
And they need to have the physical strength to keep the dog from dragging them down the street, should any startling surprises come up that would cause the dog to go ballistic.
I agree! That's another thing I was thinking about too! It's best, should you allow someone else to walk your dogs, to have an adult who know and understands dogs and know how to handle any situation, positively.
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Jenna316

Post by Jenna316 »

I understand the concerns posted here, but my fourteen year old daughter walks dogs in our neighborhood to earn extra money. She is wonderful with the dogs and treats each one as an individual, getting to know his/her needs, strengths and weaknesses. She's so in demand that she has to turn some neighbors away for lack of time. Two of my neighbors told me their dogs walk better on the leash now than before my daughter started walking them (she knows loose leash walking techniques and uses them with dogs who need it.) She's been doing this for almost two years now. She's very informed about dog behavior and training and has such a love of dogs that even those that aren't the most friendly seem to like her.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that while most kids might not have what it takes to be a good dog walker, some really do. Get to know the child first, maybe take a few walks with them as they handle your dog. Now having said that, I wouldn't turn over just any dog to a child dog walker. My daughter has actually turned away a couple families because their dogs had issues that she felt were beyond her abilites (and the owners should have known this as well and never asked her in the first place.) So know your dog and know the child, then make a decision. For those who work during the day or have physical or time restrictions, a responsible child in your neighborhood could be just what you need to help out with your pup.
jennyf

Post by jennyf »

I think one aspect that would worry me is the lack of Public Liability Insurance in case of the dog causing an accident/incident of some kind whilst out with a youngster.
Jenna316

Post by Jenna316 »

I hear you guys on the liability factor. But again, I think it's a matter of knowing who you're dealing with. I would never let my daughter walk a strangers dog for lots of reasons. Of course, in this society, anyone can sue you over anything at any time. But sometimes you have to pick your battles, so to speak. So I make sure she walks the dogs of folks we know and we feel comfortable with and they in turn have to be comfortable and familiar with my family and my daughter before they turn their dogs over to her for their walks. (And really, those same liability issues would apply just as much to an adult walking your dog as they do a child).
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

A few children are just amazing with animals, and sounds as if this young lady is one. But such children are very rare, and I would not dare to entrust my dogs to a child, even if known. They are just too much dog.

I know a super young lady of 12 and probably 5 stone (14 lb to a stone) wringing wet, who exercises polo ponies, and her favourite is a mare well known for ejecting riders she doesn't like. But she likes this girl, and they look amazing together - tiny child on spirited pony. Wow. She's magic with dogs too and her Mum is a professional gundog trainer.

All respect to those exceptional children who are the hope of tomorrow's horses and dogs.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jennyf

Post by jennyf »

I agree that the same liability issues would apply to both children and adults, but maybe there would be more likelyhood of something happening with a younger person that an adult. Although some youngsters are super with animals and should be encouraged, we do live in a different society than when I was young.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Yes, this would deeply concern me under all circumstances and I would not allow it. You have to remind some children that age to brush their teeth so walking my precious animal is totally out of the question. It is best if that were the case for you too. Glad to see so many people responding to this question.
My Best Buddy...
Carol F. King

Post by Carol F. King »

Hello,

I am 62 years old. When my children were young 5-7 years old I would allow them to walk our family dog, a Coca-poo. Today I would not dream of allowing a young child to walk any dog. I have Toy Breed tiny dogs and I have been attacked by roaming loose neighbors dogs. I've had my dog torn up and myself. Now as an experienced dog owner, I know how fast and unexpected an attack can happen. If my Grandchildren wanted to walk one of the dogs, I would attach two leads to the dog and go for a walk with my Grandchild.

Carol F. King
leslie123

Post by leslie123 »

Knowing what little I know now it seems like a risky thing for a 11 or 12 yo to be a dog walker. Unless they are one of those exceptional kids who really has been taught how to handle a dog and situations should they arise. That being said, I actually did walk my neighbors dogs for her when I was 11, once a day. I loved it and luckily nothing bad ever happened! :D