dog is not eating

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

pcb0960

dog is not eating

Post by pcb0960 »

hi,
my dog has not been eating when my husband feeds herm he has a tendency to feed her people food,I feed her dry food(with a tiny bit of bacon grease and she wolfs it up the dry food is Blue Buffalo. I tell him to stop feeding her people food and he fills the whole bowl, myself I give her a cup of dry food and put two tsps of bacon grease,please help.
Tippers mom
DogzRule1996

Re: dog is not eating

Post by DogzRule1996 »

I really think you should stop feeding her human food. It can be bad for her and it lacks important nutrients needed for her body to maintain a healthy balance. Our dog had this problem when my dad fed Sam too much human food. No matter what we just fed him human food and an occasional apple here and there. Of course he'd go for the apple and leave his food alone, but eventually he found out that it was no more human food and the only food he had was his own dog food so he had to start eating it. Now he's doing find and eats his meals (but not necessarily finishes it all). I'm not sure if bacon grease is ok for dogs. Isn't it high in fat?
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Please would you clarify what exactly your problem is, as it isn't clear from your first post.

PS we can't train husbands: only dogs :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

DogzRule1996 wrote:I really think you should stop feeding her human food. It can be bad for her and it lacks important nutrients needed for her body to maintain a healthy balance.
Not true. you are far more likely to not be giving your dog the important nutrients it needs with "dog food". Now, having said that, there are some dog foods that are fairly good. BUT a lot are FULL of fillers such as corn and wheat and very little meat and other ingredients your dog needs.

You can do your dog harm if your not careful about some "human" food, sauces, spices/salt, and yes there is some "human" food that isn't safe. But if you were to say cook up some plain chicken, maybe give some peas, carrots, that is perfectly safe (assuming no allergies of course) and more beneficial then some of the top name brand "dog food".

I think it was emmabeth who pointed out that "dog food" is a recent invention and prior to that dogs either hunted, savaged, or ate table scraps.

Just like you need to educate your self on what is quality "dog food", you do need to educate your self if your going to feed your dog "human food". But to say in a blanket statement "human food bad", that is passing incorrect information. After all the only thing that truly distinguishes "human" from "dog" food is often which part of the animal was used and preparation.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

My vet actually gives a long speech to his patients about drinking filtered water and eating people food. He likes very FEW dog foods on the market and says his dogs eat what they're eating that night for dinner, they just cook a little extra and his dogs eat that. When we told him that ours were on raw he was pretty surprised and very impressed that we were doing that.
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

DogzRule1996 wrote:I really think you should stop feeding her human food. It can be bad for her and it lacks important nutrients needed for her body to maintain a healthy balance. Our dog had this problem when my dad fed Sam too much human food. No matter what we just fed him human food and an occasional apple here and there. Of course he'd go for the apple and leave his food alone, but eventually he found out that it was no more human food and the only food he had was his own dog food so he had to start eating it. Now he's doing find and eats his meals (but not necessarily finishes it all). I'm not sure if bacon grease is ok for dogs. Isn't it high in fat?
Echo what jacksdad said, but I also wanted to add that apples is one of those foods you should avoid feeding to dogs. They (and many other seeded/pitted fruits) can cause diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain. The seed can also contain trace amounts of cyanide which is harmful.

As far as bacon grease goes, it's not the best way to spruce up food if you use too much, but I don't think it's harmful if you use a little bit. There are definitely healthier foods to add to your dogs food. Cooked greens, carrots, cooked yams (one of Zelda's favorites), a spoonful of plain yogurt of cottage cheese, boiled chicken, or soaking kibble in sodium-free beef or chicken broth...all a little healthier on a dog's waistline.

What kind of people food does your husband feed?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

It is probably a combination of things...

Firstly the dog food you feed she probably isnt all that keen on (henc eyou need to spice it up a bit with the addition of some highly flavoured fat), so she needs to be a bit hungry to bother about eating it.

Ssecondly, when he feeds her people food, he over feeds her, so shes not actually hungry when it comes to a bowl of dog food.

Re-evaluate the dog food you buy - try for one with little or no cereal and a high meat content. It may well be more expensive per bag but as you will need to feed less of it, it works out ok. (Much of the low cost cereal based foods... you are just paying for poop as much of the food comes out the other end having delivered little in the way of nutrition on its way through!).

If you do have human left overs and you want to feed them to the dog instead of waste them - thats fine, as long as they are relatively low fat and definitely low or no salt. No cooked bones either.

Foods to avoid are large quantities of onions and other onion family plants (leeks, spring onions etc. Garlic IS ok to feed in small quantities, it is very good for all of us!), chocolate and dried fruits.

I feed apples most weeks and my dogs love them - however i dont feed them whole, even though to get enough cyanide from the seeds to do harm they would have to eat a very large quantity of seeds (more than is ever likely, even if you lived in an orchard!).

If you do choose to feed left overs, then mix in a quantity of left overs with some kibble for a meal - make sure you are not over feeding either the left overs or the kibble!

If you do go this route, and the left overs are much tastier than the kibble then any smart dog is likely to refuse plain kibble. If you are sure your dog does actually like the kibble (and many do not, merely eat it as it is all there is, a miserable existance if you ask me!) then if she chooses to miss a meal, it will do her no harm!

Today my 'new' (nearly two months now! not that new) dog decided she didnt really think raw chicken wings was food, so didnt eat it. Its no big deal, but she didnt get offered anything else! She had had breakfast this morning (kibble... as I had some left over from being on holiday, which they all ate with enthusiasm despite normally being given raw food... ) variety does not confuse my dogs, tehy all eat what they are given, when they are given it because they know its what is in the bowl... or nothing at all!

I do not believe that variety is what causes fussy dogs - it is the way variety is offered, how much you feed that determines whether it will cause a problem. If you ALWAYS resort to offering something nicer when something plainer has been refused, no smart dog (heck not even a dumb one!) will take plain if they think by holding out for something better will work!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

apples in small quantities are ok. Jack loves them apples. But yes, the seeds should be avoided.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Another vote for the positive health apsects of apples for dogs. Stewed apple is also very good for settling unhappy dog tummies because of the pectin. Sounds strange but really works.

I don't take the pips out; the dog doesn't digest them. But if it makes anyone feel happier, it doesn't take a minute to core an apple. Seeded/pitted fruits are fine. I take pits out for safety reasons, but I notice foxes eat them and pass the pits no problem.

No grapes though - grapes ARE dangerous to dogs.

Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

Hmmm, well now I've heard both good and bad on apples. I got my info from a few websites, and the trainer I use recommends against feeding them. Not saying anyone's wrong, just stating where I'm getting my info. :)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Lots of conflicting info in all walks of life - we just have to pick our way through it.

The important thing is sharing information - the more the better - then we can make more informed decisions :)

Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Few trainers study nutrition, they just pick up things that catch their eye, I prefer to listen to someone who has studied nutrition like Nettle has. I have done some research myself and found that it is the pips that can cause problems to us as well as dogs but we do need to eat a lot of pips to do any harm.

It is quite common for fruit or veg to be eatable in one part and poisonous in another, rhubarb the stalks are lovely to eat, the leaves are posionous.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Zeldacorgi

Post by Zeldacorgi »

Nettle wrote:Lots of conflicting info in all walks of life - we just have to pick our way through it.

The important thing is sharing information - the more the better - then we can make more informed decisions :)
Absolutely. At the very least, I know that apples aren't exactly top of the list of foods to avoid, so I'll stop worrying so much if Zelda decides to play with a few that fall off the trees. And there's plenty of foods out there that everyone can agree is great for dogs.