belly freckles

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DogzRule1996

belly freckles

Post by DogzRule1996 »

well the topic says it all. buddy has strange little black dots on the underside of him that goes down his right leg. they look like freckles only black, but i thought they would be dirt. when i tried to wash them off (gently rubbing) he started bleeding in TINY LITTLE DOTS :shock: is it just dried dirt that's stuck on tight to him and i rubbed too hard or could it be something else?
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Fundog

Re: belly freckles

Post by Fundog »

Tics, perhaps? When a tic infestation is removed abruptly, a dog can bleed quite a bit. DogzRule, your parents NEED to take Buddy to the vet-- TODAY!!! IF he is infested with fleas and tics as badly as you are saying, he can become extremely anemic, and even end up needing a blood transfusion! :shock: Your parents NEED to take Buddy to the vet!!!
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Okay, chill. That is flea dirt. Quite safe but telling you your dog has fleas. When flea dirt gets wet, it goes red and smears.

So all you need is a GOOD flea treatment.

Fleas come and need treating: doesn't mean anything to get horrified about, just part of dog ownership. Lots of animals get fleas, and fleas have evolved to live on animals. Therefore, much as I hate using drugs, this is one occasion when only they will do the job. So Buddy needs to see the vet.

If you can get flea and tick treatment together, all the better.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

The little dots don't move at all, and they don't have any definite shape like a tick. They're just like dirt pieces. I just gave him a bath yesterday and he doesn't have any fleas. I've noticed that it's on his other leg too, and they look normal. Could they just be his skin?
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

No, Nettle is right. I had forgotten about "flea dirt;" it's been sixteen years since I had to contend with fleas! :shock: DogzRule, what we mean by "flea dirt" is actually "flea poop." Just like the dust that gets on your furniture is actually the waste product of dust mites (in other words, dust mite poop). Because fleas suck the blood out of your dog, that is basically what their "poop" is made of: your dog's blood. So when you try to wash it off, it looks like your dog is bleeding. You DO NEED to get him to the vet, and get him a good treatment (old fashioned home remedies are not going to cut it), because as I already stated, letting this continue can make your anemic. It doesn't matter that you don't "see" any fleas "on" him; those bloody specks are evidence enough.

There is one more reason to get this treated, effectively: flea eggs often carry round worm. When you touch your dog and then prepare food or touch your face, or whatever without washing your hands immediately, you run the risk of ingesting/inhaling those roundworms yourself. Believe me, you don't want to get worms! So until you can win this battle, make sure everyone washes their hands thoroughly-- use a nail brush, and get under the nails-- with warm, soapy water after touching Buddy.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
GllntKnight

Post by GllntKnight »

In all the years I've had dogs never have I seen fleas or flea dirt and I'm talking 57 years +. If monthly flea and ticking is done then there wouldn't be this problem. Of course ticks don't respond as well so you must examine daily and remove them .
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. ~Author Unknown

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

I've tried washing them off but they won't come off. I'm not sure anymore if his skin is just like that or not because I've never really payed much attention to his skin. Plus, they're not in his fur at all whatsoever. They're ONLY on his skin.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)