Personal Trainer on Four Legs

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Personal Trainer on Four Legs

Post by Fundog »

Okay, someone mentioned having a fitness thread. And since this is a dog forum, and all of us on here know quite well the merits of having a dog versus an expensive gym membership, I decided to start it. :D

First, let me outline the merits of the canine personal fitness coach, versus the neighborhood ladies' walking group: 1) Your dog will NEVER call up and cancel your walk date. 2) Your dog will NEVER say she's too tired, leaving you to walk by yourself. 3) Chances are pretty good that when the weather is less than ideal, it will be YOU flaking out, not the dog! 4) Your dog is ALWAYS upbeat and excited to be going out, no matter how early, no matter how tired, no matter what's going on in your life. 5) Your dog's undying enthusiasm and zest for life is guaranteed to rub off on you, which will make you healthier and happier. :D

So I'll go first: I've been on my new fitness plan for ten days. I haven't lost anything, but I haven't gained either. I walked my girls for one hour today.
For brunch today I created an interesting little something: 1 grated apple, combined with 1/4 cup flour, a dash of nutmeg, and a dash of cinnamon. Mix together by hand.
1 tortilla, browned on both sides. Put apple filling on one side of the tortilla, turn over and brown lightly one minute, then turn.
Top with mozzarella or Monterey jack cheese, fold tortilla in half over the filling, like a quesadilla.
When it is hot and melted together (a minute), put on a plate and cut in half. It's really good with coffee.

Tonight for dinner we are having steak and corn on the cob. I know, not the best, but I live with a bunch of men. :roll:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Noobs

Re: Personal Trainer on Four Legs

Post by Noobs »

Love it!

This morning I decided to do a jog/walk. Murphy and I were out for an hour. He hadn't jogged with me (or L) in a while so he was pretty jazzed. Whenever he got too far ahead I would do a little loose leash practice. I believe about half the time we were out was spent jogging. I would do half a block at a time since I'm not a runner at all. For the last 1/2 mile we walked as a cool down. I still remember once we biked for 3 miles and came home without a cool down, and Murphy got the zoomies as soon as we walked in the apartment....zoomed right up the bed where L was still sleeping! :shock: So that won't happen again.

This morning I had oatmeal drizzled with honey. For lunch, a can of tuna, wheat crackers, half a cucumber and a serving of grapes. For dinner we're having chicken and braised radishes...and I think L is baking some peaches. I have to have a big coffee every morning with half and half in it. I'll do pretty much everything in the nonfat form, but I won't give up half and half in my coffee. :wink:

As long as it's not too hot in the morning I will try to keep jogging with him - he really likes it when he gets to trot during our walks, so I'm making more of an effort for him.
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

Fundog wrote:First, let me outline the merits of the canine personal fitness coach, versus the neighborhood ladies' walking group: ...
6) Even if your small dog's trotting pace isn't enough to elevate your heart-rate, the hip-bag full of poopie bags, treats, water, cell phone, keys, etc. has got to count as weight training :lol:
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

Hmm.. Cadence would be that personal trainer all hopped up on caffeine and steroids by the way she has been acting on the leash lately :lol: :lol:

I actually just bought those shoes that "tone" you while you walk. So my calves are getting bigger :D AND I wasn't expecting it, but these shoes are amazing for my horrible 98 yr old woman knees :lol: Even walking up stairs doesn't hurt anymore!

Noobs, I wish I could jog with Cadence, but she would either drag me down the street and rip my arm out of socket or chase after me :roll:

But everyones motivation on here is rubbing off on me 8)
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Taking Sky to agility has been giving me a work out. I really should try to take up jogging for her sake, I was just never a distance runner. I did track in hs one season (sprinter) and it took me all season to be able to jog a mile. :oops:

I keep hearing about those shoes. I really think I need to look into those for my getting older achey body, knees, and hips.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

6) your dog will never comment on your weight gain/loss.

Ok, my tip is to NOT watch the scale. Check maybe once a week at most, twice a month is probably better. It takes about 30 days to really get your body going, so don't lose heart the first month if you don't see any "drastic" changes. your clothes are a much better indication of weight loss. sometimes you loose fat, but gain some mussel and mussel weighs more so scale watching can be discouraging.

As for food. quantity and variety is the best place to put your focus. With minor exceptions, if you can use some self control (easier said than done for some, which would be me with some food) there isn't any reason to cut out food. eat steak, bacon, corn on the cob, potato, pasta etc. remember your now burning more energy and some of the "classic" cut it out foods really help build mussel and provide energy. HOWEVER, you can't live on the "bad" stuff and you would watch how much you eat. So, for example, if you LOVE bacon, only have it for a special breakfast, say on Saturday or Sunday and only have 2 pieces and not the whole package.

Thing you might consider cutting out are candies, "traditional" deserts (ice cream, cake, cookies, brownies etc, ), alcoholic drinks, processed foods, snack food (ie Oreo, chips, and such) replace with nuts, fruit, etc.

takes a bit more work, but cooking from scratch so you can control how much oil, butter, fat etc also helps. fresh foods over processed is always better. but with careful label reading you can still do ok with prepared foods though.

But, if you can restrain your self, it is always better to allow your self occasional small amounts of the "bad stuff". If you cut out something you love, than it becomes a forbidden "fruit". Making you want it all that much more because you "can't have it". in my opinion, a better approach is to use the "bad stuff" ie a brownie, as a self reward when you reach a goal. just don't eat an entire pan of them, have just one for example.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Okay, since Fundog has started this thread, I think I'm going to add my "two-cents worth!" :D First, let me say, thanks to all the foods all of you have said you've eaten, now I'm hungry! So, goodbye diet! :lol:

For number 8, after you've exercised your dog, and then, get something to eat, your dog eats the other half of what you're eating, so not only are you exercising, you're eating less too, so the weight should come off! :lol: :lol:

As for those "Toner shoes," you might be getting some muscles in your calves, however, podiatrist (foot & joint doctors) will tell you to be careful, because these shoes do not support your feet, legs, joints, and back. So be careful! :shock:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have been banned from jogging by an orthopedic consultant, I have had a hip replaced and my other one is going as well as both knees, jogging on hard surfaces damages your joints, far safer to power walk, it gives you the same workout but doesn't damage your joints.

You are all busy bees when it comes to food, I am far too lazy to make things like that for myself, breakfast is an oat based crunch cereal with dried strawberries in and camomile tea. Lunch is 2 crisp bread with some sliced meat topped with sliced tomatoe and a cup of green tea, dinner is meat/fish with potatoes and veg, a cup of green tea, I don't like ordinary tea, just the smell is enough to upset my stomach . I have FMS so a bio yoghurt after each mean helps. Evenings I will sometimes have a packet of crisps. I do have several cups of coffee between meals during the day, I need my caffeine.

When the FMS is bad I can't walk the dogs so I exercise them by playing in the garden, I throw balls and other toys for them to run and chase after, Bonnie and Dolly often run round each end of the same toy.

Since I moved into this house I have lost over 2 stone, that is over 28lbs, still got a lot more to loose but slowly getting there. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

jacksdad wrote:Thing you might consider cutting out ... alcoholic drinks
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! People on the forum need wine! And chocolates! And chocolate cake!

I have to have my red wine. But if I had to consume alcohol, at least that's better than, say, Malibu rum (although delicious) or something with tons of sugar.
Mattie wrote:Since I moved into this house I have lost over 2 stone
Wow, good for you!
Mattie wrote:You are all busy bees when it comes to food
I have an advantage: L makes all our meals, sends me to work with my lunch bag and makes dinner when I get home (another advantage to her working from home!)...this is why I'm the cleaning crew!

I got half a whole wheat bagel (with jam), coffee (of course), plain non-fat yogurt and blueberries this morning. I'll be having cous cous, bean salad, cucumber and apple for lunch. I think we're having salmon for dinner.

I was lazy and got up 20 minutes late this morning but I still managed to be out for an hour and do a jog/walk again. I just had to hustle when I got home to get ready for work on time. Instead of trying to get Murphy to stay with me, I tried to keep up with him instead so had to do a full-out run a couple of times. Whewwww...

Here's a food tip - if you think your fruit is really boring, grill it! We had grilled peach halves with dinner last night. If you have a grill pan or maybe just a regular frying pan, throw a little olive oil on it, slice a peach in half and grill it. It was delicious!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Noobs, Jam is all sugar, that will put weight on you, better to cut the jam out and keep the wine. :lol:

Take a good look at the food you are eating, there is often hidden calories.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Mattie, 28 lbs., that's awesome! Congratulations! Mr. Fundog had fibromyalgia many years ago, so I know what you are going through. :( Luckily for you, you have your beloved doggies to make you get up every day, and keep you going. Aren't our dogs wonderful? 8)

Jack's dad, I LOVE your #6 comment about how our dogs will never comment on our weight, or nag us for eating the "wrong" food. I never thought of that, before, but you're right! :lol:

Thanks y'all for joining this thread; I think it's going to be a lot of fun. :lol:

Meanwhile, Mr. Fundog has cooked breakfast (he's trying to sabotage me) of eggs, hashbrowns, and bacon. So I gotta go, as he is nagging me to the table. :shock:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Oh I know jam is all sugar but sometimes I let myself have that instead of just butter (or whatever butter substitute we're using these days). :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

As well as the dog exercise, we can try running up bills, running down the boss and jumping to conclusions :twisted:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Nettle wrote:As well as the dog exercise, we can try running up bills, running down the boss and jumping to conclusions :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Oh, Nettle-- shame on you! :lol: :lol: :lol: