Question...

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

GllntKnight

Question...

Post by GllntKnight »

As most of you know I have two JRT's a ***** spayed and neutered male who are brother and sister a litter apart but that's not important. I realize like people dogs and other animals have different personalitys and I was wondering why the ***** is an excellent watch dog in the house and out but he only barks outside when he sees someone she will barks if she hears anything out of the ordinary, for four years she has barked everytime the phone rings but stops as soon as it is answered she barks when she hears our footsteps when we come home he does not. She barks at prey animals until she kills it his bark turns into a whine. Unless they both have hold of the prey like the time they played tug of war with the skunk. And I don't understand why people still claim tomatoe juice it does not work it just makes the dog pink. We have a recipe that does work. He will bark in the house when someone enters but not when they are outside so does that make him a poor watch dog?
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. ~Author Unknown

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner
Fundog

Re: Question...

Post by Fundog »

"Does that make him a poor watchdog?"

Not necessarily. :) I too have two dogs, Annie and Dottie. Before we got Dottie, Annie did most of the "watch-dogging," and was just a little bit more vocal. Although Annie has always been rather slow to bark, preferring to survey the situation and only barking if she felt her "two cents" was warranted. For example, our next door neighbor dog was a really yappy little chihuahua. Whenever Chewy started yapping, Annie would listen a moment to hear what he was saying. Sometimes she ran outside to add reinforcement-- and even then she didn't always add her own bark, but just her 60 lb. intimidating size-- other times, she would just put her head back down and stay inside.

Then we got Dottie. Annie is quite content to let Dottie do the barking, and just stand there with her big, scary, fluffy, 60 lbs. Dottie is the "bark," Annie is the "brawn." Dottie may be loud, but in truth, Annie is the one prospective burglars are afraid of! :lol: And that being said, if Annie does add her own bark to Dottie's, you can be sure we pay attention and find out what's going on! :shock:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
GllntKnight

Post by GllntKnight »

Shiloh is the bark & bite 12lbs Wilbur is the18lbs & quiet except outside just a few minutes ago they both went nuts at the door so I checked nothing. But why when both are after prey does his bark turn to a whine? I hate whine which is what he started to do a little while ago when both went balistic.
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue. ~Author Unknown

I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. ~Gilda Radner
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

There are many reasons why he doesn't bark, he doesn't need to, she does plenty to allert you so why should he? Not all my dogs bark, Tilly in particular rarely barks to alert me, Bonnie only shuts up when told to. Dolly will bark because Bonnie does and poor Ellie, she can't bark but makes a funny noise instead.

Some dogs that don't bark watch, if the visitor does something the the dog thinks they shouldn't, they could creap up behind them and nip them.

I have known dogs that rarely bark when there was another dog in the house that barked a lot, when that dog went the none barker started to bark to allert.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]