Cut it out?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Simba

Cut it out?

Post by Simba »

So, Simba had a nasty absess (from a bee bite that got infected) that has healed completely thanks to giving him the appropriate homeopathic remedy. He is now left with a wad of hair that is all rolled up in a ball and is hard. He did not allow us to fuss much with the area during the whole time. Cutting it out will probably be difficult since he won't let us do it I am sure. Has anyone had the experience of softening and then being able to brush out a ball of hair that is bound really tightly using conditioner, olive oil or something like that?

That would be an easier way to go if someone says it has worked for them since Simba is not happy with us looking at the area and he runs away from us when we fuss with it (so cutting the ball of hair out would be a tall order) and no amount of high value treats will help. He is not crazy about our local Vet and we are looking for another one since they manhandled him a month or so ago and now he won't go into the office at all.
My Best Buddy...
emmabeth

Re: Cut it out?

Post by emmabeth »

Oil such as olive oil or baby oil would probably help, i use baby oil on my Tibetan Terrier to get out nasty little knots and mats on him.

If it isnt actually pulling on his skin, then you have time to work with him, getting him used to the area being touched in return for treats.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Simba

Post by Simba »

Emmabeth, Thank you for your ideas. The knot is pretty big unfortunately; nonetheless, we will begin to work with the oil and hopefully over the weekend it will begin to loosen up. If not, we could always try Plan B although we would need a Vet to help us with that and I hope we can avoid that.

He lets me rub the area - he likes a massage, generally; just not look at it for some reason. I will simply give him a massage and at some point I will get some olive oil on my fingers and begin to work that into the knot. We will give it a try. Thanks again.
My Best Buddy...
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I expect he remembers the abscess being sore, and that's why he is worried about the area being touched. Abscessy places can be tender for quite a while afterwards.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Once you get it all slicked up, you can use a toothpick to "comb" out the mat, strand by strand. My son is really good at getting mats out of my girls' long, feathered coats.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Simba

Post by Simba »

He does not mind me massaging the area. It is only when I focus on it visually and he is thinking I am going to "do" something (like use a toothpick to pick apart the hair) that he objects. The most I can do, unless ya'll have other suggestions, is to massage the area with the knot of hair and while doing so (when he is not paying attention) rub some olive oil on the knot. Then repeat this until he is an oily mess (obviously, we will have to bathe him at some point in the process) and then gently begin to brush or comb it out. Has anyone ever tried human conditioner with a detangler?

A toothpick would probably work real well; however, he will not let me do this type of slow, methodical work on him. If any of you have a clue on how I can help him get used to this type of stuff I am all ears. Treats are not a deterrent for his attention. He is too quick and smart for me!
My Best Buddy...
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I have used "no more tangles" baby shampoo. It works well, and didn't irritate their skin.

My girls' most common place to get mats is right under their ears. Sometimes, when we are just sitting on the couch together, and I am absent-mindedly fondling her head and ears, my fingers will gravitate to that mat and I will, with the fingers on just one hand, start trying to work the strands apart. I'm not using any oil or anything, no comb, no brush, and I'm actually watching television while I do this! They don't seem to mind too much. (But they don't mind if we actually make an agenda out of it, either) :wink:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Scuttlebutt

Post by Scuttlebutt »

Not had this problem with a dog, but had it every springtime with an old horse that had Cushing's Disease - his coat didn't shed properly but also his skin became overly sensitive so he hated to be groomed, meaning he would often end up with mats of dead hair tangled into his coat but, like your fella, he got really ansty if I actually focused on these areas.

The thing that worked best for me was to spray on "leave in" conditioner (I liked the Aussie brand one) and then try to tease out the mats a little at a time with just my fingers.
I am not lost, I'm merely temporarily geographically inconvenienced.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Good advice all. I will get started on this project immediately. It must be annoying to him even though he has not indicated it to be so. Thank you all.....
My Best Buddy...