Jack may actually like another dog, this is exciting

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jacksdad

Jack may actually like another dog, this is exciting

Post by jacksdad »

Normally Jack is done with other dogs pretty quickly. example, at the park earlier this week we ran into 3 other small poodle looking dogs. all dogs stayed calm, sniffed, all was well. Jack even gave a wonderful and very playful play bow and indicated he would be willing to play some chase. not sure how that would work with all dogs on leash, but hey he wasn't reacting so woohooo for Jack. But within 30 seconds or so of that he was wondering off sniffing and exploring. those 3 dogs were oh so 30 seconds ago. this is fairly typical now when he has a positive encounter.

well about a month or so ago a lady in my town home complex adopted a 2 year old female I believe she said was Jindo named Luna. and about 2 weeks ago we ran into them walking through the complex on Jack's morning potty break. we normally do not run into other dogs this early. sometimes, but not normally. which is good because Jack still struggles with dog encounters even at distance in our neighborhood. Anyway, their first meeting, no barks, no reaction. calm sniffs. and moved on. well since that day, Luna apparently has decided she likes Jack and will track us to say hi and we have had easily a half a dozen encounters and Jack has been calm in all of them.

Well two mornings in a row this week we ran into Luna on our morning walk and Jack and Luna seem to really be ok with each other. But we did not run into Luna this morning, and Jack appeared to be looking for her. he sniffed the ground where she normally walks by our house, which he never does, then wanted to go right to and not leave the area he meet up with her twice this week. every time I walked him away, he would look over his shoulder in the direction she appears and leaves. best I can tell he wasn't nervous. normally when he is nervous and i start to lead us way from source of nervous he is very willing to come along.

What is so cool about this is, IF I am reading him right, and he genuinely was looking for Luna and if he genuinely "likes" Luna...what a giant 180 in attitude regarding another dog since January. And with a dog in our neighborhood on top of that.
Doglover42

Re: Jack may actually like another dog, this is exciting

Post by Doglover42 »

Awww that's wonderful!! :D
josie1918

Post by josie1918 »

Go Jack!!!!!! Sounds like Dad's hard work is starting to shine through. Rock on both of you!!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Ya, it's pretty cool.

Jack (being a reactive dog), will probably never do well around other dogs for long periods of time. I honestly don't think he enjoys it. And not forcing him to be in that situation helps him not become overly stressed. Besides, we have too much fun on our own taking walks and checking out new places.

Just the same, seeing him behave in a way that seems to indicate a genuine like for another dog is so exciting when I think where he was 6 months ago. It is really encouraging because it indicates my goal for him very possibly maybe achieved. And that is to be near other dogs without incident as we go about our day/walk/activities. Such as being possibly able to do a little informal lure course racing so he can have a chance to run free at full speed. Or maybe some "agility" type activities designed for earth dogs.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

We like to pick our friends so why shouldn't Jack. :lol:

Well done Jack's Dad for teaching Jack that he can pick his own friends if he wants to. :wink:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Good stuff indeed. I'm glad to hear Jack made a friend!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Woo-Hoo what super progress :D thanks to YOUR hard work, Jacksdad
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS