Leaving the House.. for how much time???

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ioannemi42

Leaving the House.. for how much time???

Post by ioannemi42 »

since i live alone with my dog, everytime i leave the house to go out, he looks at me with these cute eyes and then i go out i feel guilty and all i can think about is getting back home as soon as i can.. for how much time is it ok to leave my dog alone?? i cannot go out and relax no more.. i think im becoming obsessed for this reason i skipped many classes in my semester.. what should i do?
forkin14

Re: Leaving the House.. for how much time???

Post by forkin14 »

If there is no damage being done to the house (chewed furniture, damaged stuff, etc), your dog isn't going to the bathroom all over, or you're not getting complaints from neighbors about barking or whining, I'm sure your dog is fine. Give your dog some KONG filled toys or other interactive toys so he can keep busy and you can ease your mind about if he is "bored". Dogs do like to be with people but also enjoy their "alone time" to unwind, just like people do!

If you have an iPhone or iTouch, there is an app you can get that syncs to your computers webcam as long as you have an internet connection on the phone/ipod. We got it to see if Cadence is Ok when we leave her alone (and just curious to see what she does :lol: ) and sure enough she just sleeps or plays with the KONG we leave her.

If you're constantly home with him and make big fusses when you come and go, this might create future separation anxiety problems, for the both of you!
ioannemi42

Post by ioannemi42 »

thank you very much.. no, when i leave him alone he sleeps.. until i get back. he doesnt bark at all, he does not pee in the house and he doesnt do any damage.. its just sometimes i may need to leave the house for 6 hours and it seems too much for me that's why.. but thank you, you calmed me down, i thought i was going insane..
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

How old is your dog? 6 hours may be too long for a younger pup.

But it sounds like your dog is fine and that YOU have a touch of separation anxiety. :wink:
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

forkin14 wrote:If there is no damage being done to the house (chewed furniture, damaged stuff, etc), your dog isn't going to the bathroom all over, or you're not getting complaints from neighbors about barking or whining, I'm sure your dog is fine. Give your dog some KONG filled toys or other interactive toys so he can keep busy and you can ease your mind about if he is "bored". Dogs do like to be with people but also enjoy their "alone time" to unwind, just like people do!

If you have an iPhone or iTouch, there is an app you can get that syncs to your computers webcam as long as you have an internet connection on the phone/ipod. We got it to see if Cadence is Ok when we leave her alone (and just curious to see what she does :lol: ) and sure enough she just sleeps or plays with the KONG we leave her.

If you're constantly home with him and make big fusses when you come and go, this might create future separation anxiety problems, for the both of you!
Thanks forkin! I was wondering what those toys that get stuffed with food was called :)