please don't let my dog be killed

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lennox

please don't let my dog be killed

Post by lennox »

Hello my name is Caroline. I am writting today with a very heavy heart, as we had 5 dogs who all lived in harmony with each other, then in the last year we have lost our 15yr old German Shephard to a heart tumor and then 9 weeks to the day we lost our 12yr old English BUll Terrier to lung cancer. So we went from 5 dogs to 3 in just a few weeks which nearly broke our familys heart. That left us with three dogs, George an 8yr old yorkie - Lennox a 5yr old American Bull dog cross and finally Juicy our Boxer. Then yesterday for no reason other than how Lennox looks the police and dog warden showed up at my door and took Lennox away and said that because he is x inches tall and his muzzle is x inches long they are going to distroy him as he is a pitbull. I seen both his parents when I got him as a pup, his mum was a pedagree American Bull dog and the father was a Staffie/Lab mix. No one has made a complaint about him, none of our dogs including him have ever been introuble, we as a family have never been in trouble. We just miss him so much we dont know what to do, so we are looking to the dog lover society for any help - advice - support we can to try and bring Lennox home. He suffers from stress which our vet helps us manage which causes him to have hair loss, so we are very worried about him. He has never spent a night away from us or his kennel mates, and has a fear of strangers so how will he manage on his own in a kennel surrounded by strangers. We don't know what to do or who to turn to, someone please help. We are also setting Lennox up with a bebo + face book page to get his story out there. Please help us.
Doglover42

Re: please don't let my dog be killed

Post by Doglover42 »

Firstly Caroline
I’m so sorry this has happened to you!!
So to clarify they took him away because he is known as a fighting breed and ‘looks’ like he could hurt someone?? Are they allowed to do that!?
That’s so horrible!! *hug*
If he hasn’t bothered anyone shouldn’t he be allowed to stay? And have you contacted them and asked them what is going on?
This is outrageous :(
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

Caroline,

That is a tragic tale. I'm so sorry you and your dog are facing this.
Laws vary region to region. If you feel comfortable sharing the
information, may I ask what area do you live in?
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

Whoops, just found the advice given in another area on this list.
Not surprising, as someone on this list will have good answers to
just about anything you can ask :) Sounds like you've been pointed
in the right direction.

Please do keep us posted? Even if all I can do is sent out support
vibes, we want to help in any way we can.

Skye and the white collies
lennox

Post by lennox »

Thank you all for your support. To answer your questions, I live in Belfast N.Ireland. No one made a complaint about Lennox. A dog warden called to my home to drop off licence renewal forms and it was this dog warden who after seening a glimpse of my three dogs through a gate at the bottom of my drive went back to base and reported me for having a pit bull. Then a week later the police and dog wardens turned up at my door with a warrant to take Lennox away. They phoned me later that day and said because his leg and muzzle is x inches long he is a pit bull and needs distroyed even though his mum ia a Pedigree American Bull Dog and his dad is a cross between a Pedigree Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Pedigree Black Labrador. I asked where did they get the measurement scale from that they are basing his measurements on and they said it is from the pedigree standard for pit bulls, but how can this be as pit bulls are not a registered breed. I know what a pedigree standard is as I used to show my English Bull Terrier. The dog warden had no comment to that question other than Pit bulls are pedigree registered. We have set Lennox up on bebo, facebook, myspace, twitter and with his own web site which has links on it to his other sites. My whole family would like to thank you all in advance for giving us one minute of your time by going to his web site and signing his petition.

Lennox is also licenced, micro chipped, neutered, DNA registered, insured and also registered with pet safe and never off lead in a public place.

Thanks again
Caroline x
www.savelennox.co.uk
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

So they're basically just assuming? The dog looks like a pit bull so it definitely must be on eh??
PETITION SIGNED!!! :D :D
Salomé

Post by Salomé »

I signed the petition. As a lawyer (albeit retired), I thought it might help to throw in some legal language about what is required or the sort of proof that constitutes evidence. I hope it makes them sit up and be wary of doing something rash. Please keep us updated about Lennox's situation. And, truly, fingers crossed that you get him home soon. I can't imagine how agonizing and terrifying this must be -- to both you and Lennox himself. {{{hugs}}}
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ah... *insert rude word here*...

YOu need to get in touch with people experienced with dealing with these laws - sadly based in the UK I am not conversant with the relevant laws and it isnt the same in N.I. as it is here as I believe you do not have the 1997 amendment to the 1991 DDA which governs exempt dogs and can allow a 'type' dog that is NOT dangerous to be added to the exemption register.

Try http://www.bullbreedadvisoryservice.com/ these people and/or also http://www.deednotbreed.org.uk/ as they will have some answers for you OR know who will have.

Did you hand over your dog and sign a form to say so, or did you refuse to sign and they took your dog anyway. It may not matter... but it might. Please ring these people first thing in the morning with as much detail and information as you can.

I realy feel for you, these laws are utterly ridiculous and it is the dogs and their owners who suffer.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

I am so sorry, I have signed and will post on my Facebook page. Jan
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs »

This may sound crazy..In the USA there is a website called The Knot..It is for brides ..but there are chat rooms and there is a link on there called pets.. I hope you can get to that...Somone posted about people in your exact situation...Get on that chat room and explain your situation..There is someone on that board that can possibly help you..From what I have read there is someone who is trying to get people in your exact situation to do a documentary and get their stories on how this could happen and in the process help them out..This sounds so barbaric to me..How could anyone come into your own home and take something so precious to you makes me sick...I would be going crazy ..I hope everything works out for you..Keep us informed..
Keiri

Post by Keiri »

Caroline im in Larne here, if you want to e-mail me personaly, will tell you what I was told.

I was approached by the psni about my Bull Masstiff X Akita saying I shouldn't have that dog as she was a Pitbull type.
Just because she was bigger then the average dog of that breed, and her broad head. I fought hard and caused a few headaches for the police etc

But if you want E-Mail me with your Phone number and i will call you and, will talk to you personaly, and I will help in what way i can.

Regards
Maggie