Leaving a dog??

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

chelle&honey

Leaving a dog??

Post by chelle&honey »

Hi Guys

The time came today where i have started to leave honey whilst i go to work, i try to take her as much as i can but sometimes its just not possible!!

So i fed her breakfast before i left and put water down, i put a denta stick on the floor in the kitchen for her and gave her the kitchen and dining room to herslef, i also left her a pad as she was going to be alone for 6 hours, i also left the radio on for company.

I was apprehensive at leaving her but thought she would be ok.

Well my son is 12 and he got home before me and Honey has peed in the kitchen and not on the matt i left!! :? Which is no biggie!

I did see on one of Victoria's shows that instead of leaving water down if going to be away for a long period that put ice cubes in the bowl??

This wont be an issue becasue honey LOVES ice cubes, i have one of them big double fridge freezers with the hole in the front to get water and ice and every time we go to the frige she cries for an ice cube!! :lol:

Michelle x
Owning a dogue de Bordeoux for the fist time and love her to bits!!
Mattie

Re: Leaving a dog??

Post by Mattie »

Chelle, it is illegal to leave a dog without water in the UK, if you want to leave ice cubes instead you have better check with the RSPCA, that may not be acceptable.

6 hours is far too long to leave a dog of her age, of course she will pee on the floor, she is a dog being a dog. You really need someone to go in and let her out during the day as well as have a play with her. You are asking too much of her.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
chelle&honey

Post by chelle&honey »

Its no problem i will just leave her water down, getting someone to come in, is not an option, no-one around me can do it. If she pee's, she pee's its no big deal for me, i'll leave her a matt anyway and see what happens.

She will only be left on the odd occasion i.e. twice a month if that.

Michelle x
Owning a dogue de Bordeoux for the fist time and love her to bits!!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Chelle I am not getting at you, you came here asking for advice, we wouldn't be doing our job if we ignored something that isn't good for a dog.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

chelle&honey wrote:Its no problem i will just leave her water down, getting someone to come in, is not an option, no-one around me can do it. If she pee's, she pee's its no big deal for me, i'll leave her a matt anyway and see what happens.

She will only be left on the odd occasion i.e. twice a month if that.

Michelle x

It's always good to leave water no matter how many hours it maybe; even if you leave ice cubes a long side would also be good as well. Pee pad i would leave a couple of them side by side as one maybe to small. :D

Good luck
Image Image
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Sweetie, Chelle lives in the UK were it is illegal to leave a dog without water which is why I told her to find out if ice cubes will do instead.
Doglover42

Post by Doglover42 »

As for the peeing problem
I don’t think she’ll ever use the pee pad unless she is taught that it is the right place to go.
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Michelle, I was tring to remember how I house trained CJ. I know it took him a long time to get it. I put pads down and he wouldn't pee on them, he'd eat them :lol: Oh Yes I remember now... I put him in a bathroom, as he got better I give him a little more room. Then he had the bedroom and the bathroom. He had a dog walker come by after 4 hrs. Can you get a dog walker? It took a year before I let him have the whole house. Even after a year, some times if he had to pee he would go to the bathroom and do it there. :lol: I did not care about that as long has he did it there and no where else. I think he was two before he stop peeing inside all together. He was my frist dog so I think it took that long because I had no idea had to train a dog. I learn by making a lot of mistakes. :mrgreen:
PS I did leave CJ water down. I was told by a friend to take it up but, I just couldn't do that to him. Good luck :)
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You can't successfully housetrain a dog to know that sometimes it goes outside and that's okay, and sometimes it pees in the house and that's okay sometimes and not others. That's why we are suggesting alternatives. As it isn't very often that Honey has to be left, I would be going with paying a dogsitter or else daycare. To a puppy anxious to do the right thing, it is stressful when it can't go out and be clean. They try to hold on and can make themselves quite ill before they pee on the floor - and each pee indoors weakens the housetraining.

Leaving a dog without water does not come into the equation at all. You just don't. How many of us go six hours without a drink? Instead we arrange our lives so that the dogs we have do not suffer.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

Mattie wrote:Sweetie, Chelle lives in the UK were it is illegal to leave a dog without water which is why I told her to find out if ice cubes will do instead.

That's why i said it's always good to leave water no matter how long you are gone for. Also it's a good idea to leave ice cubes a long side the water.
Image Image