Birds

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

luvmydogs

Birds

Post by luvmydogs »

I know this a forum for dogs but since this is a general chat I have a question about a territorial bird...So any birders please help...I have 2 eastern phobe (spelt wrong?) that have been in my yard and they are chasing my other birds away...He will sit on the feeder and go after any bird that comes by..The only bird that stands up to them is a hummingbird :lol: ...I'm sure they are nesting close..They have been around for a few years..I'm sure it is their offspring now.. The only thing I could think of is to spread the birdfood on the ground all around my pool...I figure that more birds can feed in a bigger area and he won't have just one target..Anything else that you can suggest ?? I love being by the pool and having my birds a few feet away and this bird is going to take that away :evil: Thanks
Fundog

Re: Birds

Post by Fundog »

Get more feeders. I've seen a boat-load of adorable ideas for creative and whimsical bird feeders (and different kinds to attract different species of birds), as well as bird baths from garden magazines. Even when the birds have all migrated somewhere else for the seasonal changes, the decorative feeders and baths do add an eye-pleasing quality to the garden. For ideas, see "Country Living Magazine," and there is another one with "Birds and..." in the title-- I can't remember the whole title. But you can also put in a google search for "home made bird feeders," etc.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Get a mixture of feeders around, ground feeders and ones mounted on posts/trees - hopefully he wont be able to guard all the feeders at once.

I dont tink just feeding from the ground would work as some birds dont like to ground feed and if it is close ot the feeder, the bully boy may just dive bomb the other birds on the ground.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs »

Thanks..You are right the little stinker is dive bombing them as I sit here writting..The morning doves are not being bothered but my finches are..I am going out and getting more feeders..He is cute though... I was on my porch and he was sitting a few feet away guarding so I had a talk with him telling him how bad he is....He just sat there cocking his head and wagging his tail feathers listening ..Right now I have a blue bird sitting on my fence and I can see him flying back and forth over him but the bluebird doesn't seem to care...Now the 2 males are trying to spook him..It's funny to watch...Now he's gone entertainment is over and I need to go get work done..