Frustrated w/ topic search-dog won't move on leash!!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shrtsassyblonde

Frustrated w/ topic search-dog won't move on leash!!

Post by Shrtsassyblonde »

I have tried every search engine to find an episode that I want to see again from it's me or the dog. Maybe you can help me....
There was an episode where Victoria help a lady (maybe couple) I think in the US - small dog would pull at her pant leg when she would leave house - Vicotria help her desensitze that issue. Then the other issue was small dog would NOT MOVE on a leash outside. Victoria helped with that anxiety small steps at a time. That is the episode I desperately need!! My DOG won't move on leash!! Thank you!!
Leigha

Re: Frustrated w/ topic search-dog won't move on leash!!

Post by Leigha »

Was your dog ever trained to walk on a leash? Trying to find out if dog used to walk on the leash and has just now decided it doesn't want to; or if dog has never walked on leash before.
Shrtsassyblonde

I have tried every skill I have read about - even what the Vet has recommended! But I know that if I can find the show where Victoria addressed this w/ a small dog.... I KNOW I want to try that. Just can't find the episode!! I've been searching everywhere......
There was an episode where Victoria help a lady (maybe couple) I think in the US - small dog would pull at her pant leg when she would leave house - Vicotria help her desensitze that issue. Then the other issue was small dog would NOT MOVE on a leash outside. Victoria helped with that anxiety small steps at a time. That is the episode I desperately need!! My DOG won't move on leash!! Thank you!!
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

What skills have you read about and tried? We don't always remember the episodes that have come on TV, but are more than willing to help you with your dog.
Shrtsassyblonde

Bubba is my dog. He is a small yorkie - just under 3 pounds. 2 years old. When he has the harness on him and leash, he won't move - I can't drag him. He hunkers down and shakes!! won't move. a lot of times i've left the leash and harness on him for long periods of time so he'll get used to it. Then I try to pick up the leash and he freaks - bottom on ground - won't move!! If I should post this on a different place plz let me know.

Thank you....
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

You might try getting him used to the leash the way you would a puppy. Put a small piece of ribbon (a few inches long) on his harness and let him drag that along. Then slowly increase the length of the ribbon until he's dragging one around that's roughly the size of his leash. Then increase the thickness of the "leash" but go back to the few inches and slowly increase the length. There's a more descriptive thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5419&hilit=Lead+Walking+and+Puppies that might be helpful to you.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

There are a number of methods you can try, the one I would recommend would be a combination of clicker training and getting the dog used to the harness and leash inside the home first.

Is your dog ok with the harness and leash on in the house, walking around the house? in the yard?

What about with just the harness on?

Have a read through the clicker training thread in the Articles section of the forum, as you can use this to reward your dog for seeing the harness, sniffing it, wearing it, walking about in it, having the leash attached etc etc (not all in one go! one at a time and not moving on a step until he is more than happy with the previous stage).
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Shrtsassyblonde

Yes - he will wear is harness fine, he'll even walk around the house w/ leash attached but won't move on leash if i touch it at all. that's why i wanted to find the episode from It's Me Or the Dog - I've searched but not sure how to contact someone that would know! I REALLY want a copy of that episdoe;

There was an episode where Victoria help a lady (maybe couple) I think in the US - small dog would pull at her pant leg when she would leave house - Vicotria help her desensitze that issue. Then the other issue was small dog would NOT MOVE on a leash outside. Victoria helped with that anxiety small steps at a time. That is the episode I desperately need!! My DOG won't move on leash!! Thank you!
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Well, like I said earlier, we don't remember all of her episodes as she's on season 4 right now, so that's a lot of episodes to remember. I vaguely remember the episode, but not enough to tell you which one it is. Here's a link to an episode list that might help you find the episode you want: http://www.yidio.com/show/its-me-or-the-dog But if you'll let us ask you questions and work with us, we might be able to help as well.
forkin14

Post by forkin14 »

I'm pretty sure it was the little dog named Peanut the same episode with Stains and the cupcakes!
Shrtsassyblonde

Do you know what season or what date that show was aired? I would like to watch it again. Thank you!