Mushroom Eaters

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Post Reply
servingbrother
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Mississippi

Mushroom Eaters

Post by servingbrother » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:39 pm

I live in the country in south Mississippi. I have 5 dogs;
8yr old toy poodle (male), 6yr old rescue Lhasa Apso (female),
1 yr old Shinese (Pekingese/Shih Tzu) (female), 8 mo old Shih-Poo (male)
and a 6 mo old Shih Tzu (female). The 3 young dogs hunt for and eat mushrooms when I take them out. I stay with my dogs when they are outside and try to stop them from eating the mushrooms. We have a large yard and the mushrooms vary in types. Though I try to keep the mushrooms out of the yard, they grow overnight and the dogs never fail to find them. My wife is an emergency room Vet-tech so we monitor their conditions closely. So far we have had no problems. I am concerned though, some day one of them will get hold of a poisonous mushroom. Any suggestions?

lulu4422
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:39 am
Location: Oklahoma

Post by lulu4422 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:44 pm

Hi,

As far as I know, mushrooms like carbon-rich soil. Therefore, if you fertilize your lawn with a nitrogen-based fertilizer, which is pretty much any lawn fertilizer since they're all nitrogen-based, then it should help stamp out your mushroom problem.

Hope this helps!

Post Reply