what to put in a kong!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

**liz**

what to put in a kong!

Post by **liz** »

i am going to petsathome tomorrow morning to buy a kong for riley! i thought it might give me some time to relax while he is entertained with it! what filling can i put in it? i know that there is special kong filler but it is really expensive!
(riley is 8 weeks old)
jacksdad

Re: what to put in a kong!

Post by jacksdad »

There is a whole thread here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4389 about things to put in the kong.

Me, I started off with just a couple small treats to help teach my dog that yummy things come from the kong. Over a very short time (few days) we progressed to him getting his breakfast out of it.

What I do now is fill his kong about 3/4 full of kibble, then drop that into a bowl to soak in either water or beef or chicken broth cut with some water to reduce the salt. then I mix in some rice and/or small chunks of chicken sometimes some frozen pea and carrots. then I freeze the whole things for about 30 minutes. start easy to get the food, increase the difficulty over time so your dog stays interested in the kong.

basically you can use just about anything you would normally feed your dog from treat type foods to their regular dinner/breakfast meals. making them work for their meals (ie use brain to get food) can be a good thing for your dog.
chelle&honey

Post by chelle&honey »

i have filled honey;s with mashed bannana and frozen over night she loves that one it takes her about an hour to finish it.

Also meat paste is another one i use she really likes that one!

Michelle xx
Owning a dogue de Bordeoux for the fist time and love her to bits!!
**liz**

Post by **liz** »

thank you for your replies! the mashed banana is a great idea! i might start off by putting his usual food in it though, he is only very young and i dont want to upset his tummy!

i hope Honey is ok now!!
x
chelle&honey

Post by chelle&honey »

Honey is only 4 months old and i have been using banna since she was 10 weeks and she has been ok with it.

Yeah is fine now,eyes all back to normal!!

Thank you for asking!

Michelle x
Owning a dogue de Bordeoux for the fist time and love her to bits!!
***Melissa***

Post by ***Melissa*** »

With mine I had to start with really easy stuff (tiny pieces that will fall out easy), and work it up to more difficult stuff over time.
There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face. ~Ben Williams
Sweetie0202

Post by Sweetie0202 »

I use peanut butter with my dogs and they love it. Some times i'll use cheese whiz as they love that too.
Image Image
Liz & Koa

Post by Liz & Koa »

Hi,

I got some recipes from the Kong website. One that Koa loved was, pumkin filling, fat free vanilla yogurt and oats. I mix it all up and add some cookies in to it, I also use canned dog food somethimes, and top it off with low fat peanut butter. Freeze in for a day or so, and it keeps him busy for an hour. I always have a couble in the freezer for when I have people over. Koa is not a people person, so he needs something to keep himself occupied.

Liz
carysNollie

Post by carysNollie »

i chop cocktail sausages up into small pieces and cram them in, my dog loves them and it lasts him hours! (only on occasion)
Liz & Koa

Post by Liz & Koa »

Like it!!!