Timed Feeding

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lady Chevalier

Timed Feeding

Post by Lady Chevalier »

I saw Victoria's show on the little Dachshund that pottied in the house. She put it on a timed feeding so that the dog could only have food for approximately 10 minutes. I wasn't sure how long she gave the dog to eat then it went straight out to go potty. Was the time to eat 10 minutes or 15 minutes? Thanks
<b>“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.â€
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi,

I don't remember the time she gave, but what I do for my two dogs is give them 20 minutes, then I take their food bowls up.

I have a small dog who takes longer to eat than the big dog, so 20 minutes is good for them both. Then it is potty time.

HTH.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I dont think it realllllly matters, ten, fifteen, twenty minutes, whatever. What matters is that the dog learns to eat what it is given when its given.

I guess if you had a dog that really did struggle to grasp this concept youd start out at say 30 minutes of 'food bar open' and gradually bring it down slowly until the food was only available for 5 minutes.