strange puppy behavior

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lulu4422

strange puppy behavior

Post by lulu4422 »

Hello,
My puppy is weird. Her favorite toy is a little stuffed whale. She takes it everywhere and sleeps with it. Sometimes, for no reason at all, she picks it up and starts wimpering. She only wimpers after she picks up the whale toy and cannot be comforted. She is not sick and doesn't have any wounds. She doesn't need water and she eats regularly. She doesn't have to potty. She doesn't want to play fetch. She doesn't want to play tug of war. She doesn't want to be petted. She just wants to walk around with her whale and wimper. Also, she doesn't like squeaky noises and sometimes the whale squeaks when she bites it hard enough. She doesn't put it down; just looks confused. Do you think maybe she thinks that after making the whale squeak she has killed her friend and is distraught?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

How old is she again?

If you said she had had her first season and was having a phantom pregnancy, that would make sense.... sometimes bitches decide that certain toys (and even other random items like mobile phones) are their puppies...

Did she leave her litter mates too early?

What happens if she doesnt have access to her whale toy?

If the squeak frightens her, i would perform an emergency squeak-ectomy on the whale, and see if she likes him better desqueaked.

I would think she is aware that her whale is not alive but some dogs are more sensitive to squeaks than others, and some squeaky things sound very much like another puppy squeaking in pain.
Paul Kassell

The whale

Post by Paul Kassell »

Seriously your lucky this is not a save the whale site, but as asked in the previous post we could do with some more info. Age, breed, neutered/castrated, diet, answers to questions of last post etc. I've had clients who have had what they call puppies and they were 2 years old.

Regards,

Paul.
lulu4422

Post by lulu4422 »

Hehe, well, she is almost 6 months old, breed = APBT, not spayed yet, waiting for her to mature first. She didn't leave her litter mates too early... actually, the breeder was having a hard time finding homes for the puppies and she was about 3 months old before leaving home. And by breeder I mean, people who had two pets and didn't neuter them and then acted all surprised when the ***** got pregnant. :?

Since I posted this, she has murdered her whale... sorry Paul, no saving the whales. :lol: She cried when it wasn't around, but then I gave her a stuffed kong and her grief quickly subsided.

Her new favorite thing is to find my other dog's shedded hair and eat it. :shock: And before you ask, yes, I brush my other dog and clip her and she still sheds because she is part sheep. Puppy likes to find loose hair, whether still attached to my dog or recently shedded onto the floor and eat it. My puppy is a freak! :roll:
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

My year-old dog likes to chew on whatever bits of dust or shed hair she can find--her own, my two cats', whatever. Not as tasty as her bone or her Kong, but nothing to turn her nose up at--according to her.

The only thing to do is to minimize opportunities and take it from her when necessary.

So, I don't think your puppy is weird. :)
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

Aaaaww bless her, have you got any photos of your puppy, not to help with the problems, just for me to drool over. I love bullterriers of any kind, English, staffy, am staff, apbt. Anything really.
Ive got an EBT and an AB, and both were as cute as hell when pups.
Maggie :D
lulu4422

Post by lulu4422 »

Hehe, I don't know how to load them... will have to wait until emmabeth posts how. She is cute! She is mostly white with a dark brown head and black and dark brown spots. When you give her kisses on the face, she chomps at you with her teeth and then looks at you like, "What happened?"

Lis & Addy, I guess at least our dogs don't eat nastier things, like, well, you know, realllly nasty things. Oh well. My new plan is to just vacuum more often and avoid letting her lick my face since she isn't to be trusted not to eat ickiness. :lol:
miss_jbj

Post by miss_jbj »

i know that the whale is gone now, but when my 4 1/2 year old dog was alot younger he used have a stuffed pig, and sometimes he would carry it around in his mouth and cry/wine... it took me ages to work out what was wrong, i went thru the same motions as you, it turned out for us that he counldnt find a good enuf spot to burry his pig

he would run around the house crying and trying to find a good hiding spot for it, and every time he dug it a hole, there was a bit hanging out, it wasnt serious, just cute
maybe it might be that...?
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Hi, I have posted this before in the "amazing sock eater". My 4 yr old boy has a white seal and latterly taken a fancy to Garfield! Carrys them from my daughters bedroom downstairs to his bed, where he will wash them and lay on them. If his bed is in the garden they will get carried out much to the amusement of my neighbours. He doesn't chew or make any attempt to destroy them. We now shut bedroom doors to minimise the stock of soft toys that end up in the living room!! Bless do love 'im!! :lol: