Sweet Pea The Dog

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meggit

Re: Sweet Pea The Dog

Post by meggit »

i couldnt watch the whole of the clip all i could see was an unhappy dog that was not having a good time at all. its so much funnier and looks so much more clever when you see the dog having fun doing the tricks cause hes enjoying it and knowing something really good is comming after hes done it
karen

Post by karen »

I just had Swee Pea at my house because Alex Rothacker is training my dog. You probably should know how someone really trains their dog before passing judgement. His dog is so mellow and well adjusted that I was impressed. He taught me patience and praise for my dog. He told me how important it was to praise and praise again because they really just want to please you. I saw nothing but kindness to my dog and to his. My dog is dog aggressive and Swee Pea just sat calmly next to my dog without ever being told what to do, or without any correction. Swee Pea loves his owner and not because of fear. I have owned many adopted abused pets and have seen fear and intimidation. Swee Pea is not one of them. You really should know your facts before guessing this dogs feelings.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I watched those YouTube videos.. I have to say that a dog walking up the staircase on 2 hind legs, as if being a small hairy human, looked as disturbing as a person trying to run up the street on all four, as if being a dog.. This proves, I guess, that one can make or train a dog to do almost anything, including the most unnatural things. But why?

However, i thought that the dog enjoys most of the tricks, and looks happy in other videos, especially when performing in front of audience. Which I thought was impressive. Not necessarily all tricks (especially walking on hind legs... there is something weird about a dog trying to act like a human), but how relaxed and confident the dog was surrounded by strangers..
Ari, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Sept 2010 - Dec 2018.
Miles, Rhodesian Ridgeback, b. Nov 2018
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I believe we commented on what we saw, and what Alex himself said.

It is pretty clear what are our opinions, based on what we saw and our own personal experience of dogs and training - if your experience does not match that, fine but I will stand by what I said (in this thread that you have dragged up from well over a year ago!)...

In MY opinion, Swee' Pea does not look happy and I would not be happy if MY dogs looked like that whilst training or doing as I asked.

I would not and do not use aversives, Alex does and says that in at least one of his videos.

As far as I can see from reviewing this thread, no one has made any wild accusations, nor are they out to do Alex harm, the videos ARE in the public domain and I see no reason for them not to be discussed. If Alex is not happy with this he is welcome to defend his actions/choice of methods himself - you will note if you read more of the forum that we dislike aversives and punishment based training REGARDLESS of who uses it. It is all about the methods, and very little to do with the person.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

In addition to the above, I'd be very concerned about the long-term health effects of walking on her hind legs for the length of time it must have taken to train this.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

In MY opinion, Swee' Pea does not look happy and I would not be happy if MY dogs looked like that whilst training or doing as I asked.
Have to agree 100% with this.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

karen wrote:You really should know your facts before guessing this dogs feelings.
body language gives a HUGE clue to a dogs emotional state. :wink: just saying
bendog

Post by bendog »

I agree, of course all dogs are different, but its pretty easy to tell a dog thats enjoying him/herself from one thats not.

The contrast between the expressions and Body language of Swee Pea and the JRT Jesse are unbelievable, and oh guess what...Jesse is trained using only positive reinforcement and clicker training as stated on her videos and websites
"Our relationship is based on mutual respect, understanding, and trust. We have a wonderful relationship and bond, and that is the foundation of our training. We train all behaviors through the use of positive reinforcement and relationship-based training"

Jesse never once looks scared or incomfortable doing his tricks in the way Swee Pea does, and I remember reading that his owner Heather knows that he sometimes has off days and won't want to train so they concentrate on playing instead!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgBKhj48VDY
karen

Post by karen »

Wow-
I guess that I cannot drag up something that is a year old. I just happened to come across this post and thought you would be happy that what I saw when I met Swee Pea was a great, happy dog. we are all entitled to our own opinions and I stand by mine. I was not defending Alex (he doesn't need me to) I was telling you what I saw in his dog after spending time with her. it is to bad that a video can give everyone a bad impression. I personally would never use a trainer for any of my rescues that I felt did not love dogs as much as I do. it is why I am using him.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

You are welcome to respond to any post you like but it is normally a bit confrontational to join and immediately drag something up and have a bit of a go.

I do appreciate that videos are only a moment in time, but the videos I have seen of Swee' Pea, as I have said, I would NOT be happy if my dogs looked like that whilst working. Alex clearly thinks that is fine, since he made the videos and uploaded them himself.

If Swee' Pea looked and acted differently in 'person', I can fully accept your point of view, but if she behaved the same as she does in those videos then I think you probably need to look around at some other dogs and they way they work, and the way their handlers interact with them.

If you have not already seen them, check youtube out for Jesse the Jack Russel, Kikopup and also Zak George - compare the way those dogs work, with Swee' Pea and Alex. It is worlds apart!

Out of interest, has he retired Swee' Pea from the more extreme work now, she must be getting on a bit now!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

karen wrote:I personally would never use a trainer for any of my rescues that I felt did not love dogs as much as I do.
There are lots and lots of trainers out there that absolutely LOVE dogs. No doubt about that what so ever. I have absolutely no reason to believe that Alex doesn't LOVE dogs or that he absolutely LOVES Sweet Pea. But despite the claims of John Lennon that "all you need is love", how the dog is trained is just as, if not more important than a "simple" love of dogs.

the concern is that video after video sweet pea does NOT look relaxed or like she is having fun. contrast with Jesse, who has videos of him not just in his comfortable safe house doing tricks, but in TV commercials where he had to deal with production crews and lights and cameras and lots distractions. In addition he has been a variety of TV shows to show off his tricks. He always looks happy, relaxed and eager to work with his handler.

When you compare the two, it's easy to see why people are concerned and maybe even critical, not to mention the tricks that sweet pea is asked to do. ya, they are "amazing", but are they worth it if the dog isn't comfortable and enjoying them? Personally I think it's not. Then of course there is how were these tricks trained? her body language raises questions there too.