Professional Dog Walkers

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Professional Dog Walkers

Post by Fundog »

I'm just toying with an idea here, have been for several months now. I've got some questions, and some serious noodling to do.

So for those of you who use a dog walker:

*How did you find him/her?
*Are you happy with the service?
*What do look for in your dog walker?
*What do you expect out of your dog walker?
*What other services does your dog walker provide?
*Is it worth the cost to you?
*Does your dog walker do this full time, or have a part time job as well?

For those who walk dogs professionally:

*Did you go to any kind of training/certification program?
*How did you start out? Did you slowly build it up on the side while working at a "real" job, or did you just take a big leap and plunge in?
*Does it pay the bills?
*How do you find your clients?
*What do you do in inclement weather, or during the hottest part of the summer when it would be too strenuous on the dogs?
*Do you provide any other services besides walking?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! :D
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
mustlovdoggs

Re: Professional Dog Walkers

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Fundog,I'm glad you asked this. I was laid off from a job for 13yrs.(dental asst.) going to school to train dogs but, in the mean time I may want to walk dogs. So some of the ? you asked I'd like to know the answers to.
I wished I was the person my dogs thinks I am.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I have a friend who does this...

Certainly here in the UK, usually you would need some sort of dog-suitable transport, a small van adapted for carrying dogs securely is the ideal (and insured for business use obviously).

I wouldnt be happy with someone transporting my dogs in a normal car, though an adapted people-carrier style mini van might be ok.

I would want someone to be insured so that any accident to my dog not covered by my dogs insurance, was covered by theirs, and preferably police checked before I would give them keys to my house.

As far as training/behaviour qualifications go - not strictly necessary but would be helpful, I would want someone to demonstrate that they could safely handle my dog/s in a range of situations and to be consistant with the same methods I use WRT pulling on the lead etc.

Many dog walkers will want to walk more than one dog at a time to maxmise their profits however some owners would prefer that their dog/s be walked alone without other, strange dogs with them.

My friend has her own website detailing her experience and qualifications, and prices, insurance details etc, and also advertises in local papers and at the puppy classes she runs. Potentially, vets offices can be a good place to advertise as well as local papers.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If you are thinking of using a dog walker I strongly recommend you walk out with them and see how they handle the dogs. There are some shockers locally to me. I wouldn't leave them in charge of a plush dog.

If you are thinking of becoming one - all the best to you :D and hope it works out well.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Marley

Post by Marley »

Fundog wrote: So for those of you who use a dog walker:

*How did you find him/her?
*Are you happy with the service?
*What do look for in your dog walker?
*What do you expect out of your dog walker?
*What other services does your dog walker provide?
*Is it worth the cost to you?
*Does your dog walker do this full time, or have a part time job as well?
We absolutely love our dog walker. I feel totally comfortable knowing my dog is having fun while I'm at work.

My dog walker was referred to me by a friend.
I am totally happy with the service I receive.

When I started looking for a dog walker I was looking for somebody who interacted well with my dog. I wanted somebody who would reinforce any training I was doing. I also wanted somebody who would listen to me if I had any odd requests (I've had to ask my dog walker for specific poop descriptions, which I never thought I would need to do). She also provides additional services such as administering medication, pet sitting and nail trims.

My dog walker leaves me notes after every walk. Basically letting me know about their walk, including letting me know if she pooped/peed on their walk. She checks the water levels. Checks on the cats. She taught Marley to play dead. Finally per my instructions she gives gives her a treat. I've recently started receiving my report via email and it includes a picture of my dog on her walk.

Based upon these reports I learned my dog was sitting before crossing the street, which was something I had never made her do before reading the report. The first time I asked her to do this, her expression was priceless (totally confusion I would ask that of her). I also know they carry her (she is 12lbs) across the street. I was also able to let them know Marley knows the difference between outside and inside and is trained to wait until she is allowed either in or out.

Yes it is totally worth the cost for me. I've tried doggy day care and it seemed to increase my dog's separation anxiety. I am not able to come home during the day for a potty break.

My dog walker is actually a husband/wife team who do this full time.

I am so happy with my dog walker, I have had trouble finding a new place to live because I want to stay within their "territory".
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Marley, Thanks for info. Good to know. What do you pay your dog walker?I take it she only walks one dog at a time. If so I think that is good, to only walk one at a time. Thanks Jan
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

We have a walker in my town, and she actually schedules her walks so that she doesn't have to transport dogs in her vehicle. She'll drive to person 1s house pick up their dog, walk to the next house, pick up that dog, etc. I can't imagine how much walking she does in a day. She charges extra for things like private walks, and other things. But she also does things like potty breaks for puppies, etc. (will come to your house to feed and potty a puppy in the middle of the day)
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Leigha, Thanks for info. I'd like to do this and go to school.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I think it'd be good for you to research dog walkers in your area to see what they offer, and what they charge for their services. I'm kind of going through the same thing with my baking/cake decorating right now. It's hard trying to figure out what you should charge for what. So I started calling local bakeries (the two we have) to figure out what normal "professional" prices are to figure out what the market price (or whatever it is) for the stuff that I do.
Marley

Post by Marley »

My dog walker spends 1/2 hour at each home. She tries to keep her "territory" small and therefore can add more dogs. The only time she walks multiple dogs is when they are from the same home.

I currently pay $17 for a 1/2 hour walk.
mustlovdoggs

Post by mustlovdoggs »

Thanks Marley I went on line like Leigha said and found in Nashville, Tn. it about that price and found out what they charge x for. Yes I'd only want to walk dogs :lol: from same house. Checked it to cost to get bonded thats about 100. or little more. Hope this also helped the original poster too. Thanks for all the info. Jan
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Yes, it was very helpful, thank you for all the replies. If there is anyone else out there who has something to add, don't be shy-- let's hear it! :D

Marley, I couldn't believe it when I read what you pay--- :shock: :shock: :shock: I don't think people in my area would be willing to pay that much. Yikes! But on the other hand, I might want to think about charging a bit more than what I had originally thought (I was thinking an hour per dog, at $10.00 per hour-- I'd better raise my rates!).

And yet again, we don't really have anyone who just walks dogs for people who ordinarily don't/wouldn't walk their dogs. Most dog walkers are in conjunction with a house sitting/pet sitting service, so they only come and take the dogs out when the people are on vacation.

We do have a serious epidemic of unruly dogs who never get out of their yards unless they manage to escape somehow, and go traipsing through the neighborhoods alone. Most people here do not walk their dogs because: 1) they don't make time, 2) they are too lazy, and 3) the dog is unruly, untrained, and unmanageable/too much to handle. I was thinking that all those people need someone like me to come and walk their dogs for them. I could help their dogs become well behaved and an object of pride, rather than guilt. (And I would lose weight, and look great!) The only question is my current market. Unemployment in this area is at an all-time high, and wages here have never been that good anyway. :?
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.