Merry Christmas to all... from your pets

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I don't just think it is fascination but more curiosity about traditions of other countries. You see, I asked this question about Boxing Day because some of my ancestors were English, and the ones who were living when I was a baby, died before they could ever tell me.

However, it is interesting to note how few people in the US really know about their ancestors lives in the "old country." I know from asking my grandfather about our heritage that it seems that when they left and came to the US, that part of their lives was like a chapter in a book: closed in moved on to new life. Unfortunately, history has a way of repeating itself; if we don't learn from it, then we're bound to repeat it. If you've noticed, this isn't just subjective to mankind, it is subjective to families.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Of course, But with me, and Mr. Fundog, it is definitely a FASCINATION, with other cultures, period. Of course, Mr. Fundog has a degree in Social Science-- Anthropology, to be precise. He loves that kind of stuff.

Mr. Fundog's grandparents immigrated to the U.S. from Sweden, so in honor of his ancestry, I've done some research and tried to implement some of Sweden's Christmas traditions into my family's celebration. I like it. 8) And Sweden does Boxing Day, too, though my family doesn't. Bad luck is on us, as well-- I've delayed as late as January 30 in getting the tree down. And I've had mistletoe hanging up now for 3 or 4 years, continuously! :shock: Last year, and the year before, we didn't bother putting up the tree, because it is just so much trouble taking it down again, and nobody wants the chore. This year we've resolved to put it up, though we haven't yet. :oops:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

One of the fascinating things about England is how, although we are a small island, go a hundred miles and speech and customs can be quite different :D it's fun. Especially with the centuries-old customs, which mainly concern dressing in a strange manner and dancing in the street - terribly un-English :oops: except as part of a tradition.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hummm Fundog, you said you've left your mistletoe up for 3 or 4 years, but DID Mr. Fundog kiss you under the mistletoe everyday? :wink: Oh what fun that would have been! :wink:

From wherever my ancestory is from, we try to do each tradition from every known country every Christmas. The problem I'm having right now is keeping Karma from jumping up and pulling down the decorations I've so far put up in my house! For example, I used garland with some of the decorations around the doorways and walk throughs, but she won't stop jumping up and pulling them down; yet, there aren't any bells, balls, or anything shiny to get her attention!

So far, I haven't put up the tree. With Karma tearing down the decorations that are already up, I doubt I will put up a tree! Not only with Karma tearing down decorations, I'm afraid of her chewing or swallowing any of the decorations.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

LOL, no wvvdiup, Mr. Fundog did not get me under the mistletoe-- sometimes it happens that way (of course, it's been there so long we've never noticed), but not purposely.

Annie also has the bad habit of eating the tree ornaments-- one of Sweden's customs is to decorate with cookies and other sweets-- I make salt-dough cookie ornaments, and we also hang candy canes on. Annie eats them, canes and cookies both. At least the canes give her minty fresh breath! :P But I don't think the salt-dough cookies are that good for her, being so high in salt.

This will be Dottie's first Christmas, so we really do need to get with the program here.

Another thing I've noticed: My dogs look absolutely ravishing in Christmas colors! From the red plaid throws we have on the furniture, to laying under the tree. Funny how that is. I've actually contemplated decorating in Christmas colors year-round, to complement the dogs. :lol:
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

With Bruiser's addiction to sticks (which we battle daily) we can't bring ourselves to bring in a Christmas tree. He'll think he's died and gone to heaven with a huge stick right in his living room. Then he's got a fascination with cords (he's eaten 2 laptop chargers and a phone charger) so lights would be a bad idea. And he's a ball crazed beast, so round Christmas ornaments are probably a no...

I can just picture him ripping down the whole tree one day, or electrocuting himself while he chews through the lights.

I feel so grinchy with nothing in my house, but I can't do much about it...
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Hey Leigha, I've got an idea for you: When my babies really were babies (one and three years old) we actually put the tree inside the baby's playpen-- instead of the the other way round! This also kept them from opening their gifts early, heh-heh. When visitors dropped by and saw what we'd done, they always commented-- they thought it was brilliant! (And indeed it was, since it worked!) Since Bruiser is a beagle, putting the tree into a baby's playpen ought to sufficiently puppy-proof it from him that he can't reach it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

That's too bad, Fundog! There's a neighbor of mine who gets the real mistletoes and I'm thinking of getting a few to put around the different doors so when my boyfriend comes, I can get a lot of kisses from him! :wink:

I've tied some empty toilet paper rolls, empty paper towel rolls, and a couple of boxes from a tree in my yard for my dog to jump up at. I'm hoping this will tire her out and not exerbate the problem with her jumping up at the decorations hanging inside the house. Also, I'm hoping this will tire her so that when my boyfriend comes, I'm the one who kisses and gets kissed by him and not my dog! :wink: :lol: Let her get her own boyfriend, right?
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Fundog wrote:Hey Leigha, I've got an idea for you: When my babies really were babies (one and three years old) we actually put the tree inside the baby's playpen-- instead of the the other way round! This also kept them from opening their gifts early, heh-heh. When visitors dropped by and saw what we'd done, they always commented-- they thought it was brilliant! (And indeed it was, since it worked!) Since Bruiser is a beagle, putting the tree into a baby's playpen ought to sufficiently puppy-proof it from him that he can't reach it.
That's a fantastic idea!! Tonight while I was making royal icing for one of my cakes I threatened that I was going to buy a playpen just for him so he couldn't get into anything. I might go ahead and get the playpen for the tree. It's so hard to get into the Christmas spirit when our weather's all wonky and all I've got up for decorations is a wreath on my front door and windows. Not mentioning the fact that Jason's going out of town over Christmas so it's just going to be me and the boys.

I hate not feeling Christmasy.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I did a similiar thing when my kids were little but it was a play yard. Kind of like an x-pen but colorful & interactive.
Maybe you can get a used playpen from a consignment ot thrift store. If I had to do it I will probably get an x-pen
josie1918

Christmas gifts

Post by josie1918 »

My 4 dachshunds got early a covered sandbox with goodies hidden in it for them to dig in, they will be getting a squeaky kong, a wobbly nobbly, a goodie ship, and several types of goodies to put in it.
The German Shepherd is getting a large goodie ship, a kong frisbee, a new leash, and some roasted pig femurs. They all have stockings hung up with their names on them that I put little treats and rawhide chews in(can you tell who's 2 legged children don't live at home anymore?)LOL
Emmy'sMama

Post by Emmy'sMama »

Emmy is getting a plush puzzle--a pull-the-bees-from-the-beehive game. She also is getting another little squeaker toy. No doubt she'll also get a bite of Cornish Hen, minus the wine sauce.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

If I haven't mentioned this as gifts for my dog, I will now. I'm getting my dog lots of kongs with her bones! She's nuts for kongs! :lol:
joneray

Re: Merry Christmas to all... from your pets

Post by joneray »

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody here in this forum. Wishing all of us have a productive and propserous year 2010!!!
Jone, like your Santa