Awful adoption experience

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I'm a long way from NY, but in my experience, a kill shelter is a place you can get a dog, with very little "red tape," as they are just so over-whelmed and glad to avoid euthanizing the animals any way possible. Granted, you are likely to get your pet without any prior screenings, history, or training, but you would be guaranteed to leave with your new baby in your arms.

If you are looking at a rescue organization, may I suggest English Springer Spaniel Rescue-- they have charters in all four corners of the U.S., and their home-base is in New England. ESS are smart, happy, sweet-natured dogs, mostly in the "middle range" for size. I have an ESS/lab cross, and she is a real gem! However, I got her from my local kill shelter, so I can't vouch for the rescue organization. I do know from searching their websites and reviewing their application questions that they can be pretty picky-- as much so as adopting a human, almost! But seeing as how you've already been down that road, and are as prepared as you can possibly be, you might have a pretty good chance. There are literally hundreds of Springers available for adoption, all over the country-- you are sure to find a match!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Lily, please may I suggest you do get fussed about breed/mix?

Different breeds are programmed for different jobs, no matter how many generations have been bred as pets. They are way different to handle, train and live with. There will be types that you will adore, and types you will find very hard to be empathetic with. As you will be spending another 10 years with this dog, you must be compatible.

Lots of lovely dog-owners-to-be don't factor this into their requirements. Most know what size they want, and if they want to manage a heavy coat or a serial shedder :lol: but few understand the huge character differences in different types of dog. You will be such a special home: it is important to do this extra research before you get your special dog.

We can help - think of what you love/dislike in people, and how much time you have to train and exercise, whether a barky breed would be a nuisance, whether a 'busy' dog is what you like, if you want a bold or gentle person, if a strong drive to do this or that would be a nuisance. Tell us the pure breeds you are drawn to, and why.

A dog is so much more than its appearance, and we'd love you to be happy with yours.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

Lily wrote:While I'm here, I might as well ask -- anyone have suggestions for New York City-area organizations?
Even if this one is too far away, if you click on Sister Shelter you'll see that they cooperate with other shelters to find homes.

http://www.suesternberg.com/00shelter.html

Pam
Lily

Post by Lily »

Lily, please may I suggest you do get fussed about breed/mix?
Sorry, badly worded -- I meant to say, I'm not looking for a rescue organization that specializes in a specific breed. I do have plenty of criteria for the breeds/mixes I'd actually adopt.

Thanks for the ESS suggestion, I'll look into it!