Reducing a female dog's risk of breast cancer by 98%

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Springersrule

Post by Springersrule »

I won't bother replying to your questions emmabeth since you've answered all your questions for me, if you can't see two sides of an arguement, I won't waste my time debating with you.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I can see all the sides of this one, what i object to is being near as outright told that im irresponsible because i refuse to neuter as a matter of course without assessing the individual dog.

I live with and have had to learn how to solve the problems neutering has caused in my dogs, a lot of people would have rehomed their dogs instead of sticking it out.

Far too many people believe that neutering will cure all manner of things and it absolutely will not, and it does carry the risk of causing or exacerbating problems.

It does also prevent dogs from ever becoming parents but if you are a RESPONSIBLE owner you wont let that happen anyway. If you arent then you wont give a monkeys about any of this.

My final words on this matter:

Neutering has its place, it is NOT however a cure all for training or behavioral problems - it may have unpleasant side effects. Ask questions, assess YOUR dog or get someone else to, and as the boy scouts say, Be Prepared!

Em
Springersrule

Post by Springersrule »

Being a responsible owner does not ensure you can stop your dog from being pregnant, dogs slip out doors, dig under fences, male dogs can dig in under fences, scale fences, my springers can scale 6 foot fences with ease, and I'm sure if they were intact they'd do it to get to a *****.

If you think you can be 100% sure that you can stop a ***** from becoming pregnant then I'd like to come and live in your world.

But then what would I know, I just deal with the fall out from unwanted dogs and puppies, a lot come from supposedly educated responsible owners picking up iffy information from the internet.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I can indeed ensure that no dog ever gets out of my garden. That is very simple, no dog is in my garden off a lead as sadly in MY world i cant fence teh garden securely. (not allowed to make it higher, cant keep up with local hooligans trashing the fence).

So all my dogs go out in the garden on a long lead for toiletting/training/ball games.

They go out on the fields behind the house for off lead play - although obviously i wouldnt do that wtih a ***** in season.

So yes, i can ensure that no ***** of mine gets pregnant - if i didnt think i could do that i wouldnt entertain the idea of having a ***** and keep her entire for any length of time.

Please, do accept that there ARE some responsible people in the world.

Em
Springersrule

Post by Springersrule »

Oh I do apologise, silly me thought we were talking about dog owners in general, didn't realise this was about you :roll:

I didn't say neutering could be used as behaviour modifier, I said it stopped unwanted pregancies 100% effectively.

It would be great if all dog owners were as responsible as you or I, but thats not the case, the ones that most need advise wouldn't patronise a forum like this any way.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I dont understand why you are arguing with me.

I dont want more dogs in rescue any more than you do, but i DONT want people to go out and do something irreversable to their dogs without fully understanding what might happen.

I HAVE seen this happen to me and to other people. I have dealt with people who have believed it will change their dgos for the better and have then 'got rid' because they came up against behavioural issues caused by the neutering (or worsened by it).

I have also dealt with people who ARE perfectly capable of keeping their dogs safe but have had an accident (and these DO happen even to the best of people) and were NOT aware of what they could do to prevent having puppies after the act of mating. With a bit of information they fortunately did prevent it happening and after the bitches next season (where they then knew the signs and what to expect and what to do or not do), she was then spayed.

And i have dealt with the morons who dont care, and THESE are the two types of people who have pups that land up in rescue, at the very least if we make ALL the information available, we could cut out the dogs giong into rescue because someone didnt KNOW the signs of a season, the dogs going in because they were neutered adn suddenly became fear aggressive, and the pups giong in because their owners didnt know about the morning after injection or that a ***** can be spayed whilst pregnant.

We will still have people who dont CARE and will have pups and dont want to neuter their dogs and are happy to leave them wandering.

But you know what, we will have them anyway, whether you and I are advising people or not, the people who REALLY cause the majority of the problem are NOT going to go away and telling people that neutering is easy and side effect free is not goign to change that at all.

(btw, i do count ME in the rescue effort here, whilst i wont bleat on about it, i frequently rescue dogs off my estate and find them foster homes or forever homes or places in rescue, i come into contact every single day with the type of people who dont care).

Now, admin have asked that we give this a rest, both of us. Im going to do just that.

Em