Funny dogs !

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Beetlejuice

Funny dogs !

Post by Beetlejuice »

Here is some funny videos with our favorite partner .
( Sometime there's an advertising before the video stat, just wait few seconds :wink: )

Skateboarder dogs :D

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ks6y ... skate_fun"

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x149xz ... og_animals

A dog versus himself

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qoj8 ... en_animals

the last one is too funny, if you don't laugh, you've a problem lol !

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x46aft ... re_animals :wink:
I do my best for write in a good english, sorry if it's hard to read lol ! :d
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Oh dear, beetle, look again as if you were a dog :cry:

The dog attacking its leg is ill, probably seriously.

I indeed have a problem - I didn't laugh at the last set of pictures - so many of the dogs shown are in pain or frightened or at risk of injury, and in some cases people have deliberately set the dog up to be hurt or humiliated.

Sorry to be an old misery - but funny is the last thing I find it.

And this isn't personal to you beetle so please don't be offended - we often get things like this put up because people find it funny or cute :? , and part of our job here is to explain that it isn't, and why.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Got to agree with Nettle..

The first dog (is that Tillman?), I do like that, but no one made him skateboard, he learned that for himself (if that IS Tillman) and clearly enjoys it, and seems to be a lot fitter than many Bulldogs too!

The second one... well the skateboarding I struggle to see how you could make a dog do that if it didnt want to, but the surfing I can... and its pretty dangerous.

The dog attacking his own leg though has a SERIOUS problem, and once you realise that (and its probably a combination of several problems, one being severe resource guarding) it is no longer remotely funny. He needs help (or did, that clip has been around donkeys years and he is probably no longer with us), not laughter.

The last one - well it offers a good exercise in reading dog body language..!!

The two black and white terriers near the start - both practicing steretypies, behaviours that arise from a lack of mental/physical stimulation and frustration. Its also possible that performing these reptative behaviours releases endorphins which feels good... so the dog repeats it.

You see these behaviours cropping up anywhere animals are kept severely confined in small spaces and/or with nothing to do - bears and big cats pacing a repetative path at the zoo, chipmunks and hamsters constantly climbing the bars and backflipping, horses weaving in their stables...

The cocker spaniels 'dancing' at the window are well on their way to the same sort of behaviour.

The dog running round the coffee table and shouting at the camera also looks like a pretty stressed out guy too.

I feel for the black dog that collided with the rollerskating toddler though, that HAD to hurt the dog, potentially quite seriously, a solid toddler landing on his/her back like that. Ouch.

We don't mean to suck the fun out of everything, but part of working with, understanding and respecting dogs means you look past the 'hey that dog looks funny' and see whats really happening.
jttb

Post by jttb »

I indeed have a problem - I didn't laugh at the last set of pictures - so many of the dogs shown are in pain or frightened or at risk of injury,
Nettle, Can you please explain in which clips of the video you seen dogs in pain or frightened?
The last one - well it offers a good exercise in reading dog body language..!!

The cocker spaniels 'dancing' at the window are well on their way to the same sort of behaviour.
Emmabeth, How can you tell from the video that these 2 dogs are "well on their way to the same sort of behaviour"?
Thanks!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Okay jttb :) and for you I had to watch it four more times as I don't do shorthand - but you are right, because this needs explaining, so thank you for asking.

Dog runs off with cart attached - how scary is that to an animal?

Dog falls off trampoline and lands in a heap - scared and possibly injured. How droll.

Dogs skid and falls on ice. Did it hurt itself? Quite possibly.

Child falls on top of dog. Cool. Child is heavier than dog - is the dog hurt? Who cares?

Pup (or was it a cat? I couldn't face watching it again) falls on top of two dogs and lands awkwardly over backwards. ha ha.

Dog runs up stairs in a 'funny' manner. Anybody like to think it has a physical problem?

Dog runs on front legs only does nobody stop and wonder what is wrong with its back legs???

Pit bull barks savagely at everything that it passes, while riding in an open truck. That dog is scared and stressed. This is not the behaviour of a happy dog.

Dog runs off dragging child. What do you think the dog feels at this burden bumping along behind it? will it run even faster to try and get away from it. How is the poor child?

Two separate clips are shown of dogs swinging around on ropes by their teeth. Which does what to their necks? or their jaws or their teeth?

Moron throws ball for tethered dog. What happens to its spine when the dog jerks to a stop at the end of the rope? Go figure.

I may have missed a few, but that's the general picture.

Then we have the stereotypical stress behaviour depicted with the jumping terriers, the on-hindlegs spaniels and the circling beagle, as Emmabeth mentioned.

I don't have a problem with the skateboarding bulldog, the stick-carrying trio (although we all know dogs shouldn't play with sticks, don't we) the dog that covers itself with a blanket (nifty trick) and while I wince at the dressed-up poodle on its hindlegs, I know poodles are born clowns and it probably didn't mind half as much as I did.

jttb

Post by jttb »

Okay jttb Smile and for you I had to watch it four more times as I don't do shorthand - but you are right, because this needs explaining, so thank you for asking.
Thank you Nettle for your post. I did see some things, but wanted to hear what other see. :)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

All of the videos described here have been featured on a popular American television program. The program also features many other clips, not necessarily of animals, but of people-- crashing their bicycles, getting hit in the groin, smacked in the head and falling to the ground, etc. They are all events that, at the time probably were not in the least bit funny (the person who got hit in the groin is never laughing, but in severe pain, and the toddler who gets smacked in the head is traumatized). But then, once the pain of the moment subsides, and time has passed, we often no longer remember the pain, but are then able to laugh about it. On the television program, people have the opportunity to win as much as $10,000 if the video is considered funny enough. Granted, a dog so neurotic as to resource guard against his own leg is really not so funny at all when one thinks about it. On the other hand, the severity of such a condition is so unusual and strange, that the first impulse of many people is to laugh-- just the way they do when they see a man doubled over in agony after a child whacks him in the groin with a baseball bat. :shock: The first impulse is to laugh, then after we think it over, it really isn't so funny.
Beetlejuice

Post by Beetlejuice »

Sorry, i didn't saw these video like this ..
Often my dog run around me as fast than speedy gonzaless or thigs like this and this make mi lauth a lot
I do my best for write in a good english, sorry if it's hard to read lol ! :d
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Most of them have featured on UK 'clips' shows such as You've Been Framed...

Where its an adult being a moron and getting smacked in the balls by a toddler with a baseball bat...... I do laugh, because they engineered that situation through their own stupidity.

But kids and animals hurting themselves just doesnt make me laugh.

Jttb - the cocker spaniels I think would if shut out of the house with nothing to do, find that repetative behaviour very rewarding. It has the right elements of 'looping' behaviour that you see in animals displaying stereotypies, so when i say 'they are well on their way' i mean if you did shut them away with little mental/physical stimulation they would be very likely to do this.

Some dogs are more prone to it than others, and in those breeds you can see how easily such behaviours can develop from fairly innocent beginnings.

Spinning is one behaviour, pacing or doing laps around a room is another - ive seen both those in border collies, where the owners originally thought it was amusing and encouraged it....only to later discover they have a huge problem on their hands!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Hi beetlejuice, yes my dogs run about like mad things sometimes and it makes me laugh too :D and they sure can run!

I am not the kind of person who finds slapstick funny, nor do I laugh at anyone or anything being frightened or hurt. If that makes me inferior, so be it. It takes all sorts, eh? :wink:

What is very useful with these kind of clips is that we can point out what is really happening, and in the case of 'looping' behaviour, how bad it is. If this makes one person go away and think, it is a job well done.

I have seen too many people laugh at a dog - like the one walking on its front legs, or the one attacking its own leg - that is actually ill.

jttb

Post by jttb »

Jttb - the cocker spaniels I think would if shut out of the house with nothing to do, find that repetative behaviour very rewarding. It has the right elements of 'looping' behaviour that you see in animals displaying stereotypies, so when i say 'they are well on their way' i mean if you did shut them away with little mental/physical stimulation they would be very likely to do this.
Emmabeth, I think we often see a 5-10 second clip and assume what is going on in that particular situation. I think a person needs all the information before they are able to accurately tell what is going on. I could make that video of my Boston Terriers. They are well adjusted, healthy, get plenty of exercise, and our well behaved. Every evening when I go out to feed my horses, they sit at the back sliding glass doors watching me, and when I start coming back to the house, they get excited to see me, start "dancing" at the door with their little stubby tails wagging.
:D I smile every evening coming back to the house watching the dogs. And they are not happy to see me because I've been gone all day either. I work at home. So if you seen a video clip I'd made of my Boston's, unless you had all the information, you would not be able to tell me my dogs are well on their way to a bad behaviour. :D
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Heyyyyyy if you want to see a super cool dog video, check this out! Golden doing the mambo! Okay so I'm not really keen on the costume but that darn dog just looks so happy you just have to smile.

http://cuteanimals.todaysbigthing.com/2009/11/03

(See what I'm doing there, distracting from negative behavior - in this case arguments that might start brewing! - by giving you something better.)
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

Holy smokes... I can't even dance like that! :shock:
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

For real! And right now I'm trying to teach Murphy how to crawl. We're on our fourth day and I have been able to -with a target stick- have him take ONE move forward without standing up. I can't imagine how long it took to teach that dog all those different moves!
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

I was lucky--Bruiser picked up quickly with the stuff we did in puppy class (Crawl was like week 5 or something). The downside to that is he got bored REALLY quickly and would wreak havoc the last 20 minutes or so which then increased to the ENTIRE last class. The last day I looked at the teacher and was like "what's going on with my dog" she said "Oh dear, I think he's bored." He's just not so great on the "normal dog" stuff. Jason has gone out and bought a skateboard and is convinced he can teach Bruiser to pull him on a skateboard. He expects me tomorrow to RUN in front of Bruiser to get Bruiser to chase me thus pulling him on the skateboard. :shock: Not. Going. To. Happen.