Trainiing a dog!!!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cookielover96

Trainiing a dog!!!

Post by cookielover96 »

A friend asked me to train her dog when i had told her that i wanted to be a dog trainer. the one thing I havent seen on IMOTD was how to stop a dog from peeing every where. She ssays that the dog wont stop peeing. that shes really tired of randomly getting something and it been wet from dog pee. She asked for my help but I havent seen an episode that shows wat to do. so if anyone can give me advise i would be thankful....
OHH and does anyone know why when you walk 2 dogs that one always pees on top of the others dogs pee?
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Is this friend also a child?
First of all, it sounds like the dog hasn't been properly trained, so potty training has to start from square 1. Secondly, the entire house has to be thoroughly cleaned off any urine with vinegar or enzymatic cleaner (from petstore) Any other cleaner/bleach will still leave a trace of urine . Give this advice to your friend but I don't suggest you training the dog.
Why? you may ask. Well because people are inconsistant especially kids. I recently retrained a chihuahua in pottying & sleeping matters & within a wk she was good to go. When she was rtnd to her home, they followed my advice for a short while and guess what? The dog is back to her old ways--I totally wasted my time and energy. :evil: What I've learned (yes even old people learn new things :P ) from this is that a if a person wants to chg their dog's behavior they will do it themselves. Those who want to pawn their dog off to you for training want an easy fix, and most times your fix doesn't fit into their lifestyle. They need to solve their problem in such a way that it suits their lifestyle.
You have enough going on right now so taking on the responsibility of training another dog would most likely become too overwhelming. Just give your friend pointers & see if she takes any to heart. I bet she won't, or if she does it will be short-lived. It's just the way people are.
cookielover96

Post by cookielover96 »

No shes actually an adult but okay
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Cookielover, dog trainers don't train dogs they train the owners :lol:

A good dog trainer has very good people skills as well as being able to communicate with dogs, without the people skills the dog's owner won't work with the dog. It needs to be the owner who does the training of the dog, the dog trainer teaches the owner how to do this.

It sounds like this other person hasn't bothered to teach her dog how to be clean in the house, it is easy for her to let you try but unless you live with her it won't work because you have to be very consistant with training dogs.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Have this friend come here to the forum. There are tons of threads on dogs peeing in the house. You can help her search & perhaps assist her. It would be a good experience for you, but don't get overly involved.
Have Fun!