Spray bottles

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Leigha

Spray bottles

Post by Leigha »

I have never sprayed my dogs with water as a way to "discipline" them, but I now get to teach our youngest that spray bottles are okay because the vet prescribed a skin treatment that comes in a spray bottle. Yay the fun!

Yesterday was horrible, he hid behind the couch and couldn't come near. Today was a little bit better. I got some cheese and sat on the floor with him while Jason held the bottle near him and put it on the floor next to him, then I got little cube ham slicey things and got him to stand up on his back legs while he ate them so J could spray him. You could tell it's not his most favorite thing to do in the world, but he at least let us do it.

Anyway, Bruiser has gotten SO much better with pretty much everything. He's such a loving dog and he's so smart! Since the kitchen and me cooking caused issues with him and the other two we put a baby gate up in the kitchen to keep them out of the "food area." We haven't had a dog fight in a really long time (knocking on wood as I type that) and the worst he does now is get rambunctious and get in the boys' faces and bark at them, so when he does that we time him out for a little while and then let him back out and generally he's okay after that. Sometimes it takes a few time outs in a row before he quits. I really like the time outs, but Jason sometimes forgets he's put him in the bathroom. I find it's easier to just stand by the door while I'm waiting to let him out.

We've really noticed a big change with Bruiser. He's gotten kind of clingy to me, always laying next to me, or bringing his toys to me to play with. He'll lay with Jason, but won't bring him the toys to play with. I don't mind though. He's even gotten better with playing--I don't get bit or mouthed hardly at all!

We haven't tried the dog park in a while, but the last time we did that he did SUPER well, even with the lion cut Chow. I think he was actually kind of freaked out by it because whenever Rerun (the chow) would come by Bruiser would run away.

I have noticed that if he's on a leash and other dogs come near him off leash he gets really growly and lunges toward them. This usually happens when people don't follow the "one dog in the 'hallway' at a time rule." I call it the hallway, but really it's more like a long fenced in run that leads into the dog park where you can leash up your dogs before leaving. I figure he's feeling threatened that they're off leash and he's not, and I get that, but he sounds HORRIBLE when he does it and I've seen him at his worst and know what it can be like and don't want it to be an issue. What can I do to help with that since unfortunately we have a lot of owners who are inconsiderate, or just don't follow the rules at the park?

So anyhow, I was really just checking to make sure I'm doing the spray bottle thing right, and then I got carried away because I'm so happy with how good he's getting! Sorry :)
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Sounds sensible to me, spray bottle = cheese/ham... This is yet another reason for NOT using sprays as a punishment, sometimes we HAVE to spray things on or near our dogs, and if they associate the spray with being corrected... then they think what they are doing when the spray happens they are being punished for! Hardly good if you are spraying a sore bit or trying to kill a wasp!

Being on the lead when others, especially strangers are around and maybe they arent on leads... thats a scary thing, he cant run away and hes limited as to the body language he can display.. so his best option is to make like he will fight, chase them away and then he feels safer.

He doesnt know that they are going to go away anyway, or that you would stop the fight if one started...

The best thing in the dog park 'hallway' situation, is to get assertive and MAKE people keep their dogs away from him. Get in front of him, so he cant eyeball their dogs, firmly and politely request that the other people keep their dogs away.

Away from this situation, teach him that seeing other dogs when hes on lead is a good thing - depending on how stressed he gets, try having him look at them 'look at that!'... or look at you 'watch me' (or 'look at that... now watch me') in exchange for rewards. You need to start this at a distance where he doesnt feel the need to lunge/growl (hence not starting it in the dog park hallway) and slowly work your way up to closer situations.
sherrymyra

Post by sherrymyra »

perhaps you could instead of spraying it on, just spray it on your hand and rub it on.
Smillin'Sammy

Post by Smillin'Sammy »

sherrymyra wrote:perhaps you could instead of spraying it on, just spray it on your hand and rub it on.
That's not a good idea. There are oils and germs on our hands that could break down the chemicals in the spray.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

It's some kind of acid wash for a rash on his belly--don't know that I want it on me :)
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I hate touching stinky ointments/creams.. So what I do is is cut the fingers off of a surgical glove, put it on my finger then use the product. I don't waste a whole glove, I get 5 uses out of it, and the stuff never touches me. Just an idea...
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

The stuff doesn't stink at all--it doesn't have a smell period. If Jason hadn't seen the vet mix it, I'd swear he just made us pay for water. It's just a liquid and the only way to get it on him is to spray him with it. He's doing really well with the treats and spraying him while we're treating him. He doesn't run from the bottle anymore. He definitely doesn't LIKE it, but he's doing okay.

He's also getting much better with baths now since I have to bathe him 2x a week in oatmeal bath--not my choice, vets directions. I'd just as soon never bathe him.He gets the "I REALLY don't like this" look, but he stands there nicely and lets me finish.