Adopting an adult dog

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Smillin'Sammy wrote:Yeah, what really annoys me is the fact that "pit bull-type dogs" encases about 20 breeds. I mean, if you put any 20 breeds together, of course they are going to have more total bites per year than any one. And because people misidentify pit bulls so often (I had Reader's Digest try to inform me that a pit bull was 3 foot one... lol) that further adds to the confusion. And I've also found that most people couldn't identify a pure-bred American Pit Bull Terrier to save their life... an example: http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html
Oh wow that was so interesting! I consider myself to be 'well versed' in these things (well compared to average Joe on the street) and it took me SEVEN goes to find the APBT, yes SEVEN :shock: :shock: :shock:

That's a very good way of illustrating the nonesense that is 'pit bull type' breeds. That means under UK law a dog warden (who I would be surprised if they were a great deal better at spotting the APBT) would have destroyed six dogs before actually getting to the APBT. Shocking stuff.

And Noobs, yes those comments really disturbed me too. I don't think many of them were actually aimed at Ellie (apart from the general dog hating ones) but Max got a flaming roasting. I love the way that Catherine gets blamed too, even though neither of them are her dogs, in fact they could BOTH be mine if things pan out. Gives me some idea of what I might be facing.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I picked the boxer first (upper left hand corner, very first pic) because that little guy looks JUST LIKE my nephew dog (my brother-in-law's dog, that's what we call him) who is an AmStaff. After that I got the right one. :D I'm surprised that Viszla was in there, who would mistake a Viszla for a pitty?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

A trial is a great idea Ocelot and nobody will be happier than me if you prove me wrong :wink: please understand it's because I like you I said what I did, not because I am a mean old bag (although I am). I have lived close to the bone when every unexpected bill was a disaster (and quite a few of the expected ones as well) and I hate to see a happy status quo with person and dog upset for the sake of "another".

All the best with whatever you decide.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Smillin'Sammy

Post by Smillin'Sammy »

Noobs wrote:I picked the boxer first (upper left hand corner, very first pic) because that little guy looks JUST LIKE my nephew dog (my brother-in-law's dog, that's what we call him) who is an AmStaff. After that I got the right one. :D I'm surprised that Viszla was in there, who would mistake a Viszla for a pitty?
I know someone who guessed the Jack Russels. No joke.
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Smillin'Sammy wrote:I know someone who guessed the Jack Russels. No joke.
THAT'S funny.
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Nettle wrote:A trial is a great idea Ocelot and nobody will be happier than me if you prove me wrong :wink: please understand it's because I like you I said what I did, not because I am a mean old bag (although I am). I have lived close to the bone when every unexpected bill was a disaster (and quite a few of the expected ones as well) and I hate to see a happy status quo with person and dog upset for the sake of "another".

All the best with whatever you decide.
Oh gosh Nettle I would never think that you are a mean old bag (much :lol: ) and if you read the second post on this topic you will see that your opinion was one of the one's I came looking for. I want people to 'burst my bubble' a bit and get my head out of the clouds as this is a BIG decsion, just as big as it was when I took Ellie herself on.

Basically everybody is right that I need more information before I make any decision which is what I am going to get. If this doesn't seem right for Ellie, its not happening end of. I just need to be as sure as I can before I venture into something that i can handle this. If I don't think I can (and that goes for financially too) I won't do it.

Besides which if I was simply looking for people to tell me what I want to hear, I know a damn sight better than to come to THIS forum :wink: :lol: :lol:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Teehee...

Anyway I cant wait to hear how things go, I do have a very soft spot for big soft Rotters, and he does look like a very squishy boy indeed!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have had dogs fostered on me that I knew nothing about and had to sort out the problems without any knowledge or knowhow, wouldn't like anyone else to go through what I went through. Twice the same person from the same rescue lied to me over 2 of the dogs and these had the worst problems. I just wish this board was going then, it would have saved me a lot of tears and heartache.

Even dogs you know will be different when they come into your home, they don't know your rules only they rules of were they were so it won't be easy to fit another dog into your home but I am sure you are more than capable of doing this.

There are lots of ifs and buts when taking on another dog, no matter how much research you do they can still spring unexpected problems onto you. You are doing the right thing by looking into things like insurance, but dogs do have a habit of doing the unexpected.

A friend of mine wanted to insure her Rottie, she had a lot of problems because of their record of health problems and ended up not being able to insure her. Don't know which companies she tried but be careful of this if you do take him on.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Thanks Mattie, I have only just seen this response for some reason but wise words. I have found a few companies that will insure him, but not at the level of cover I have for Ellie. Still that may just have to be the way it is.

So as a general update, I am still 'on-going' with this and am off to meet the man himself this weekend. I therefore have a couple more questions for you all please.

Firstly when I go to meet him to I take Ellie with me. I was thinking of the following scenario. Take Ellie with me and leave her in the car for 10 mins or so whilst I say 'hello' see ehat he and I make of each other. Then get the Doberprincess from the car so I can see how they react to each other for myself. Then I thought the three of us could go for a walk so I can see how they get on and see how Max gels with me? Do you think that sounds OK?

The other question I have is re the neutering. If I do decide to take him on, even if its on the basis of a foster home for now (with a view to permanent residency if all pans out) do you think it would be better to neuter him before he comes to me (Ellie is spayed so no pups issue) or after he has settled in? I just thought that maybe a new home + neuturing all at the same time might be a bit too much for him. What do you think?
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Sorry forgot two other things. Mattie, you mention health issues in Rottie's, I have had a look on the web and have found skin issues, hip dysplacia (sp) and something to do with the knee ligaments. I also see that cancer is a concern.

However, when looking at Doberman health issues, the list is different, but just as long. Also I know that all purebred dogs have their health issues so what I want to know is are Rotties any worse in this regard than other breeds or is it just a case of you know they have inherent potential problems and you take your chances.

Finally (for now there WILL be more :oops: ) I have never owned / looked after a male dog before. Someone said to me that anal glands are more of a problem with male dogs is this the case (I thought that was diet related to be honest) and is there anything else that I should be thinking about when taking on a male dog which I wouldn't have come across before with bitches?

Thanks!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have seen quite a few dog introductions fail because the people let the dogs sniff each other, I find it much better to start to walk at the same time, parallel to each other and gradually one person moves towards the other dog watching both dogs body language to try and pick up and problems before they happen. If one dog looks uncomfortable, this person moves away again and so on. It doesn't matter if you walk in a straight line or in a big circle as long as both dogs have the space they need. I don't use food but do talk to the dog I have all the time in a happy voice and expect the other person to do the same.

Never had to deal with a dog that has just been neutered so can't say about this but think a lot depends on the dog himself.

For the Rottie health issues, I haven't had a Rottie but have a friend that has had them and it was her's that she couldn't get insurance for.

Never heard that anal glands are more a problem with male dogs than bitches, I haven't found this with mine and I have 2, had quite a few previously.

The biggest difference in male and female is the male cocks his leg on everything no matter what it is. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Mattie wrote:The biggest difference in male and female is the male cocks his leg on everything no matter what it is. :lol:
Just like in people then.......... :wink:

mattie, Ellie and Max already know each other through my dog walker, its just I have never seen them together. does this change your view?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

No, when Ellie and Max have met previously you haven't been around, you are a new item being introduced to the situation. It is far better to be cautions than run the risk of any problems developing.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Meeting and geting on out on walks isn't the same as living together permanently either. It's like the guest who never goes home. :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Nettle is right, this is just the start, a dog moving into your home is different but it helps if you know they are getting on. We once had a lovely Staffy returned because he snapped at one of the original dogs, this Staffy had never shown any aggression previously.

After a long talk on the phone to the person who adopted him, it seems they took no precautions, expected him to know the house rules immediately, didn't try to protect him from their other dogs but let them do what they wanted with him etc. I suspect this then she said that he went missing one day, they search high and low for him and found him buried under some sacks in the shed asleep, he had taken himself off for some peace and quiet. It shouldn't have been necessary for him to do this. Thanks to their bad handling, he spent nearly another year in rescue kennels because they had given him a bad name.