prong collars

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ChillyAndClover

Post by ChillyAndClover »

Noobs wrote:In The Dog House is the "other" Animal Planet show.
Ah, I forgot about that show. I couldn't watch that one either. In my opinion, he was worse than CM. =(
Chilly & Clover
[img]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk136/ChillyTherapy/Clover/ChillyClover2-1.jpg[/img]
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I don't understand why anyone would use a prong collar, shock collar, or any other device to train their dog or any animal! When we are teaching our children something, we don't use any tortureous device on them, so why should we use such devices as prong collars?

I'll say it again: DON'T USE PRONG COLLARS! GET RID OF THEM!

wvvdiup1
ChillyAndClover

Post by ChillyAndClover »

wvvdiup1 wrote:I don't understand why anyone would use a prong collar, shock collar, or any other device to train their dog or any animal! When we are teaching our children something, we don't use any tortureous device on them, so why should we use such devices as prong collars?
Personally, I think it goes back to your own morals. Can you really live with yourself for shocking/ jerking your dog into obedience. I think people who use these methods need to take a step back and look at themselves.
Chilly & Clover
[img]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk136/ChillyTherapy/Clover/ChillyClover2-1.jpg[/img]
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

NOTE: The response to this post isn't directed to anyone in particular!

Since I don't believe in using tortureous devices such as prong collars when training dogs any more than punishing another human being when I'm teaching them something, I can only comment on my own moral values and one of them is this: If you don't have the patience and the time to train your dog or teach anyone anything without the use of any tortureous device, then you shouldn't have a dog and you don't have any business training or teaching another human being!

wvvdiup1
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

I agree, but sometimes when people don't know any better they can be influenced pretty easily by people who think such devices are okay, even "humane". That's why I ended up using a prong collar for a few weeks when I first got my dog.

I know owners who use an electric fence since they don't have a fenced-in yard. They let their dog out instead of going out with her when she has to potty, and apparently she's accustomed to where the boundaries are so there's no problem now. But when the owner nonchalantly explained to me that her dog "gets zapped" when she gets too close to the boundary I was speechless. She's a good friend of my partners whom we don't see very often so I keep my mouth shut, but it makes me sad that she was so matter-of-fact about it. :cry:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I have heard from quite a few people who are not easily taken in that when they took their dog to training classes, they didn't feel comfortable with what the trainer was doing but as he was full of confidence and inclinded to bully the owners, they kept quiet. This sort of trainer makes the owners feel inadiquate, bad owners etc so the feel that they are failing their dogs and that is the way forward. Once outside the training classes they start to think and many never go back thank goodness.

The marketing of these gadgets is good, they are put over as the only thing that can cure their dog's problems in a kind, humane way. We know they are not kind or humane but the ordinary owner believes what they are reading and don't have the knowledge to question it.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]