What language?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cookielover96

What language?

Post by cookielover96 »

Does anyone know what language people speak in the U.K and what is Victoria's actual language I love her accent...
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Ummmm....English? Being England and all that. :?
cookielover96

Post by cookielover96 »

So english Or people that live in England speak english....???? So why do they have the accent? :?: ?
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Accents are relative. We Americans have an accent to the Brits. There are many different accents within America, southern, northern, mid-western and many others. NY has an accent of its own!
Great Britain consists of 3 countries--England/Wales, Scotland & Ireland and all have their own unique way of speaking. There is a dialect is England called cockney. It is not the queen's English which is absolutely proper in diction and grammar. Cockney is spoken amoungst the common folk. The letter "R" is often omitted.
There is an old British show called " "Are you Being Served?" Try to watch a few eps to hear the different accents -you will hear cockney. Sometimes it is broadcast on a PBS station, or there might be copies at you local library, or check Youtube.
Happy listening!
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

I'm sorry Maximoo, I'm going to have to correct your post :( Great Britain is in fact 4 countries, wales is a country of its own, including its own language as well as an accent. Cockney is the accent of people who live in a very specific area of South London. There are different accents throughout all the regions of London, and in each County, and even sometimes each city. Not sure what you mean about the letter "R" being missing, it is more like the letter "T" that gets knocked off. I'm pretty sure that "Are you being served" doesn't have cockney, if it does it is only one character, most of them speak the Queen's english. Try and find an episode of "Only Fools and Horses" for a good example of cockney.

I don't know where Victoria comes from, people often have a mixed accent depending on their parents and where they grew up. I believe she moved around a lot so probably doesn't have a distinct accent.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I did mean 4 countries and that the letter "T" was missing. my typos. :oops: My sis in law lives in Wales but she is a London transplant however her son was schooled in welch.
The young blond girl on "Are you being Served" is cockney isn't she?
What about the "Benny Hill show?: I think one might find differnt accents within.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

No idea about Benny Hill, you might well be right about the girl, but OFAH is a better example because all the characters are cockney. Good one for a northern accent is Last of the Summer Wine.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I know Victoria is from Wimbledon, England. But, have you noticed she is picking up the American accent, too? I couldn't help noticing this when I was watching the UK-version of IMOTD and the US-version of IMOTD!

Who cares what English accent any one of us has just as long as we understand one another and get back to talking about dogs, please! I know this is an interesting topic but....

wvvdiup1
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Sometimes I don't understand some Americans --particularly those with a cajun accent, or those with a deep southern accent. I mean I understand mostly what they say but some words are pronounced differently or different words may be used for the same thing. 'Pop','cola' 'soda' mean all the same thing but it depends on where you live. Same thing for "sub," "hoagie," "hero," and "torpedo" --all long sandwiches. I once worked with a teacher with a deep southern accent who was talking about different types of terrain and she said say "heel" was one type. Well was I perplexed!--until I figured she was say 'hill' :P
Nor do I understand some carribean people. Many Jamaicans do not pronounce 'th'. Thing is 'ting" third is "tird" etc. We all speak English, and it's fascinating how differently people speak it 8)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Accents are lovely :D . Go fifty miles in UK and the accent changes, as will the dialect.

Benny Hill was a Southampton chap (I come from near there too) but a master of different accents, including "BBC English" or "Received Pronunciation (RP)" which is correct English without a regional accent.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

wvvdiup1 wrote:I know Victoria is from Wimbledon, England. But, have you noticed she is picking up the American accent, too? I couldn't help noticing this when I was watching the UK-version of IMOTD and the US-version of IMOTD!
I did notice it particularly when she was speaking to the dogs but maybe that's deliberate to try and achieve some consistency between her and the owners.
I don't think she has an American accent as much as she might considering the length of time that she has lived there. I imagine that her image as a Brit makes her keep her own accent on the show.

Pam
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

Nettle wrote: Go fifty miles in UK and the accent changes, as will the dialect.
Too right. I live in north Lancashire and the urban locals speak very differently from those in the east of the county.
And the country folk only a couple of miles away speak very differently again. They tend to use a lot more ancient words and expressions, often dating back to Saxon and Viking times.
Take the difference between Manchester and Liverpool, only 35 miles apart, or north versus south Manchester, Bootle versus the affluent suburbs in Liverpool. A few streets can make a difference.

Pam
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Probably shouldn't advise a 13-year-old to watch Benny Hill. :shock:

I have heard Victoria's accent change since her show's been to the states. But if you think about it, most people acclimate - if you're from the South but live in New York, your Southern accent may be slight when you're in the city but once you're back in your home state, the thick accent comes back out once you're around all your old friends! I know someone who's from Louisiana who lives in NY and when her parents come and visit it's like I can't understand a word! :lol:
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Mum24dog,
Pay closer attention to VS's accent as you watch newer episodes of IMOTD and you'll hear a gradual change in how she pronounces words. Good examples of words I've noticed in a year of watching IMOTD are the words "issue", "schedule", and a few others I wanted to post but I seem not able to recall the words!

Just watch it when she learns to do the Rebel Yell! (Just joking!) LOL!!! :lol:

wvvdiup1
mum24dog

Post by mum24dog »

wvvdiup1 wrote:Mum24dog,
Pay closer attention to VS's accent as you watch newer episodes of IMOTD and you'll hear a gradual change in how she pronounces words. Good examples of words I've noticed in a year of watching IMOTD are the words "issue", "schedule", and a few others I wanted to post but I seem not able to recall the words!
wvvdiup1
Haven't seen the newest ones over here yet.
Strange that her pronunciation should change now when she has already spent so long in the US.
My guess would be that it has been a result of audience feedback. Maybe it was felt that US pronunciation of certain words was more easily understood by the main target audience.

Pam