how do i teach my dog to play fetch??

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cookielover96

how do i teach my dog to play fetch??

Post by cookielover96 »

Hi Victoria,

Can you PLEASE give me advise on how to teach my dogs to play fetch. I've tried to do the same training that you did on the dog Stain. But they don't understand what can I do. And do you know any games that will help me and my dogs bond. I try to play with both of them and they just lay down not wanting to do anything. I have done basic Training on them(like the commands sit, down, jump, role over, and touch).Thinking that maybe we could bond that way, but for some reason they don't want to play. I think that my Female dog,Estrella, doesn't want to play because she just had puppies, but my other male dog, Lazy, doesn't want to play at all. What can i do? :?:
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

You could get a toy that can squeak/make noise or a Kong. If they are food motivated you can put a treat in it and throw it while saying go fetch. They will run for the Kong and eat the treat and, if possible, may pick up the toy. If they do you can call and coax them to come back.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
cookielover96

Post by cookielover96 »

yeah ive tried that but for some reason he doesnt bring the toy back to me
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Your dog that has puppies has a lot on her mind just now, so don't try and train her or play with her :wink:

Some dogs like to fetch, some don't. If you have a dog that does not want to but needs to fetch as part of its job, it can be trained to do so but it is hard work and needs careful timing.

If your dog doesn't want to play fetch and doesn't need to, find things to do that he does like instead. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

What kind of dog is the mama & papa? How many pups did she have?
How old are they?

If your dogs aren't intersted in fetch, there are so many other games to play, tricks to learn. Read the Exercise threads for ideas. Get some books from the library. Dog Tricks for Dummies is a good one. Also check Youtube.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I agree, Mama has far to much to do to want to play right now. Have they played at all with you? Sometimes they only want to play with each other. My gang, when Maia had her pups Kai sulked because she would not let him near them. He just layed around sulking. Kai will play fetch with one thing only, his ball, nothing else. He is ball driven.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

My oldest boy Lu refuses to play fetch. He'll go get the ball and then take it somewhere else--far away from me. My middle boy Kole will only fetch balls that squeak and nothing else, and my baby boy Bru will fetch anything I throw until he's had enough (usually that takes a while) then he'll go get it and lay down and chew it.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

I failed to mention the breed of a dog can play a role in "fetch" Retrievers are often fetch nuts. Hounds, good luck with that, they are all about scenting. Mixed breeds it's just what is dominate in them. Now if someone has an idea how I can get my husband to "fetch" his dirty dishes out of the sink and into the dishwasher I sure would like some idea's.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
Leigha

Post by Leigha »

That's funny--my beagle LOVES fetch :)
cookielover96

Post by cookielover96 »

[quote="maximoo"]What kind of dog is the mama & papa? How many pups did she have?
How old are they?

If your dogs aren't intersted in fetch, there are so many other games to play, tricks to learn. Read the Exercise threads for ideas. Get some books from the library. Dog Tricks for Dummies is a good one. Also check Youtube.[/quote]

well the mama is a german sheperd mix and the papa is a sheepdog mix. the mama is about to turn 3 years old and the papa is about to be 1 year old. the mama had nine pups but sadly 3 died... :( . the mama isn't interested in playing but the boy just get s the ball and runs away...
Bilclarie

Post by Bilclarie »

Years ago when I was in to obedience training and teaching retrieve we would throw the dumbell and with dog on lead run to it get the dog to pick it up and run back to the start, take the dumbell off the dog give it lots of praise and repeat, they soon got the hang of it the hardest part was stopping them mouthing it but you don't have to worry about that as your talking pure play, in my days of training we didn't use treats it was all voice control so on your return you could give the dog a treat each time he collects and returns with the toy etc, what ever you try and teach your dog it must be fun or your fighting a loosing battle, good luck.

Bilclarie
Bilclarie Dobermann's
If it's not a Dobermann it's just a dog
www.bilclarie.com
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p244/bilclarie/untitled.jpg[/img]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

This only works with a dog that is naturally inclined to retrieve, BilC :wink:

Otherwise the stumbling block is right where you say 'get the dog to pick it up'. Many dogs won't.

Those can still be trained to retrieve - or most of them can - but it is way harder and takes exquisite timing.

Bilclarie

Post by Bilclarie »

Nettie Dobermanns aren't natural retrievers, and I've never owned anything else and all mine will retrieve whether it be in a club enviroment or just for fun down the field, and thats the way I got those that weren't interested in retrieving to do it, it was meerly a suggestion for the OP to try, I'm well aware of the fact that some dog's just won't but theres no harm in exploring all avenues just incase one should work.

Bilclarie
Bilclarie Dobermann's
If it's not a Dobermann it's just a dog
www.bilclarie.com
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p244/bilclarie/untitled.jpg[/img]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Oh yes, I agree absolutely :D

It's simply that when people read an instruction that appears to train all dogs to do something, and their dog won't even consider it, it can be very disheartening.

I know you were being brief and to the point, and we can't say everything each time, so I was just adding my bit. IME Dobies and GSDs usually love retrieving because they are very toy-oriented.

Marley

Post by Marley »

This is how I taught my dog to play fetch.

1. She learned "take it" with treats. I would offer the treat and say take it as she took the treat. (We learned this before I got a clicker).

2. I would sit with the toy in front of me and click anytime she paws at the toy (we used a rope toy, I was incredibly frustrated with the ball and the rope was easy for her to carry)
3. We then started to work on her picking up the rope toy. (I asked her to get the rope)
4. I started to toss the toy a couple of inches and ask her to get the rope.
5. Once I felt she got it, I introduced the ball and repeated the entire thing.
6. Right now I alternate between the ball and the rope (I'm trying to get her to distinguish their name).

After step 1 I used the clicker.
So far we are really good at fetching inside, however outside is still a work in progress.

Good luck