Ear infection

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

shelby

Ear infection

Post by shelby »

Gabe seems to have another ear infection. Last time we were at the vet she remarked that he had a lot of build up and to just keep using the vinegar/water solution like we had been. We've been doing that and trying to keep his ears as clean as possible but it seems to really be bothering him. Is there something we could buy to help his ears? She said it seems like a chronic thing with him because he has scarring on both ears from scratching at them before he came to live with us.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I use a powder product called Thornit, which is just amazing, but I am in UK and I don't know if it is available elsewhere.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
shelby

Post by shelby »

Would that work if it's not ear mites causing the problem? I'm not sure what exactly is causing it for him.
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Is there a lot of gunky black colored stuff in it right now? If there is then that could be ear mites. If its red or purple or puffy like, then it could be an allergic reaction to something.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
shelby

Post by shelby »

Seems to be a mix of black gunk and reddish gunk. Nasty smell too and if you rub his ear it sounds really wet inside.
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

It IS a possibility of ear mites or infection or some sort. I would suggest another vet visit, only this time go to a different vet and get his/her opinion.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Black stuff is not necessarily ear mites, since many dogs have black ear wax. Ear mites evidence looks more like coffee grounds (grainy in texture). What kind of dog is Gabe? Does he have the floppy ears? Floppy eared dogs have a hard time getting adequate ventilation into the ear canals. The ears tend to trap wax, dirt, and debris, and moisture more abundantly than the erect eared dogs. Because it is a warm, moist environment, yeast is the most common type of infection in these dogs' ears. Certain food allergies can also contribute to this. I believe your vet suspect chronic yeast, and that is why she recommended the vinegar solution (yeast thrives in a high ph environment, so the antidote is low ph, such as vinegar). You may want to take a closer look at your dog's diet, to rule out a food allergy that may be contributing.

My Annie has had a few ear infections, caused by dirt and debris, and a buildup of wax. Our vet gives me a steroid ointment (Panalog) to put inside the ear to treat the infection. In addition, I buy a bottle of blue flush (from the vet), or you can get some ear wash from the pet aisle of the grocery store. I'm supposed to flush Annie's ears twice a week. When you put in the fluid, then massage the ear to help loosen up the wax. When you release the dog, she shakes her head vigorously, and that knocks all the gunk loose, and it just drains out. It sounds messy, but it is effective and saves a lot of grief and money.

In addition, we discovered that Annie actually has a tuft of hair growing deep inside the ear that is always getting infected (it is always the same ear)-- this tuft of hair contributes to the trapping of wax and dirt, causing the infection. So being vigilant in cleaning is very important.

I hope that helps! Another thing to consider, is that it is quite possible you are over-doing the vinegar wash, and altering the ph of the dog's ears to much, which can also cause problems. Talk to the vet again, to see if you can discover the true cause of the recurrent infections, so you can find an effective solution.
shelby

Post by shelby »

He is indeed a floppy ear guy. He eats Taste of the Wild. Is there a way to tell if it's something in that causing the problem? We switched to that after he was having stomach troubles on Nutro, figured it would be good to go grain free. I only do the vinegar solution once a week, I wipe his ears out with a cotton ball daily though. I'll see if I can get the vet on the phone to see if she has any other suggestions. Thanks!
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

Floppy eared dogs get infection more easily is what my mom says...
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

If you went grain-free, then that should greatly reduce the likelihood of yeast infection, since yeast feed off of sugar, starch, and grains.

The only thing I can think of is that the vinegar solution may not be the right thing, and perhaps you need to use a different ear wash. It also sounds like he has an active infection at this time, so it needs to be treated. I'm not a vet, but the Panalog is really good stuff for my Annie's ear infections. It's a bit expensive, but it is very, very effective.

Also, one more thing I thought of: It is possible to have the ears TOO clean-- that's right, ear wax does have a purpose, and if you remove all of it, then ears are more likely to become infected that way too. That's why the people doctors will tell you not to use Q-tips in your ears! Q-tips are a bad habit. I've learned this from experience.

One more: I have a problem of my own ears not draining well after a shower-- water gets trapped in the ear canals, so my ears feel wet and squishy (ick!). My doctors always recommended using a hair dryer on my ears after a shower, to help dry them out. However, I'm not at all sure this is a good idea for a dog. Be sure to ask your vet to avoid harming his delicate ears. Which brings up the question: Do you bathe him often? Are you careful to avoid getting water in his ears? Does he swim a lot? In that case, he might well get the canine version of swimmer's ear. For people, a drop or two of rubbing alcohol helps to dry out the water. Again, ask your vet what would be good for a dog.