"In The Dog House"?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Noobs

"In The Dog House"?

Post by Noobs »

I am watching a new Animal Planet show called "In The Dog House". I am not even done watching the first episode yet and I'm already disappointed that the trainer is using "alpha", and that there's a CM-esque warning in the beginning of the show. I'll give this a chance but I'll be skeptical. Anyone else hear of this show?
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

I watched it just a while ago. I thought the show SUCKED! Not so much for the 'alpha' mentality but the concept of martial counselor/dog trainer
did not fullfill any notion of that. There were no specific techniques for the dogs, nor the cpl other than show respect and be committed. DUH! The show was a waste of my time! :evil:
ckranz

Re: "In The Dog House"?

Post by ckranz »

Noobs wrote:I am watching a new Animal Planet show called "In The Dog House". I am not even done watching the first episode yet and I'm already disappointed that the trainer is using "alpha", and that there's a CM-esque warning in the beginning of the show. I'll give this a chance but I'll be skeptical. Anyone else hear of this show?
As far as the warning goes in our law suit happy society in the US and I am suprosed there is no disclaimer on her show. Not that anything she does is especially dangerous (like seen on the CM show) but people can get themselves into trouble not applying any training technique correctly and perhaps by not having an evaluation where someone observes their dog and developes a training plan based on their needs.

If someone applying VS techniques and training say advances their dog's training too quickly, because they saw it work in 30 minutes on the show and thier dor reacts badly and bites someone severley, you could have a situation where the bit victim is suing the dog owner and the dog owner is suing the television trainer because a technique they had misapplied did not work to fix their dog.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I saw the show, too! Maximoo, I agree with you! I wonder has this idiot has ever been bitten? I think I'm going to have to view these two episodes again, because I'm wondering, did I miss something here?

wvvdiup1
Cracker

Post by Cracker »

This is actually a canadian tv trainer repackaged for the US market. His show in Canada is called "At the End of My Leash"..you can probably find more episodes of it on the Slice Network site.

He's a jerk. He makes people CRY regularly (while CM at least has decent people skills). He doesn't allow treats or excessive toys, does koehler style umbilical training and styles himself as a relationship counsellor. He does make sense occasionally with regards to the humans respecting each other, but sets them up to fail until they are so embarrassed they finally stand up and succeed. It's like a drill sargeant...

The only time I was impressed was when with his "surveillance camera", he watched a little JRT pretty much BEG his owner to interact with him for a really long time. Dog wasn't walked or played with much..you can imagine what a bored and underexercised JRT can be like. He reamed the guy for doing that. Not my style, but the guy deserved it.

Anyhoo, yet another dominance based dog trainer from Canada, along with Don Sullivan (the dogfather), I'm practically ashamed to be a Canuck.
Maggi Burtt
Tailspin Petworx

[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq216/tailspinpetworx/Picture010-1.jpg[/img]
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

You mentioned Don Sullivan...

Last week I saw a paid advertisement on television of him selling shock collars, prong collars, slap sticks, electric fencing, and other so-called traning tools for dogs. I know it has been discussed in these forums about using these "tools," but doesn't this idiot know what these "tools" do to a dog? And yet, he calls himself "a dog expert" or the "Dogfather?"

I'm not going into how he demonstrated any of his products because it discusses me! What CM has ever done to a dog can't be forgiven, but it pales to what Don did in this paid advertisement to these dogs. I wouldn't be surprised if this paid advetisement should be aired again, it would be edited or it wouldn't be shown again on any American broadcast. I'll keep watch on this to see if this is so.

wvvdiup1
maryd

Post by maryd »

OMG I am SOOO glad that others have seen the show and were seeing what I was seeing. I actually brought my husband in to see this guy and he said after 5 min that he couldn't watch it anymore. I was just sick when I saw him and will NEVER watch that show again. I was thinking of going onto Animal Plant's website and tell them how upset that show mad me and that I can't believe that they gave this guy a show.

What a HORRIBLE disappointment. It still gets me worked up just thinking about him and that show.
Mary D
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I've just seen this "paid advertisement" again on another channel and it has been edited! I wish I could see the channel tab to see what channel I'm watching! :evil:

Maryd, at least your husband didn't watch anymore of this show! This guy is one sick...(Okay, I won't say it because it is not ladylike and I don't want to offend anyone by using such language on this forum!)

wvvdiup1
mspat

Post by mspat »

Until last night, I hadn't seen the show but finally caught it. OHG!! What an absolute wack job!! I couldn't believe he actually was trying to teach control and proper leash handling skills by tying the leash to the owners waist and then running full out and quickly turning around. It was disgraceful. Poor dogs were yanked by the neck! :evil: His whole approach to counseling was awful as well. I'm just amazed that this guy has a TV show!
I agree with maryd, animal planet needs to be made aware this show is cruel and the trainer is a disgrace. :evil:
My goal in life is to be as good as a person my dog already thinks I am. -author unknown
doxielover

Post by doxielover »

Does anyone know what email address would be best to send complaints to Animal Planet?

This guy is a nut. That poor dog's neck...the one he was walking tied to his belt and jerking back and forth. Do the owner's want to be on TV so badly they will let some whack job do this to their dog? And did I see correctly in another episode him stepping on a dog's back paws to get him to sit? What is that about? I won't be watching this show again.

I'm still trying to figure out why AP would even want to show this crap.
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

You could go to animalplanet.com and search up their contact email.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
Smillin'Sammy

Post by Smillin'Sammy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIpxI5QG ... re=channel

I saw this and thought it was funny, in regard to the "dog whisperer."

I think it highlights how bad a trainer he is. I don't think that lady deserved what happened, if anyone, it should have been CM.
Cheetah

Post by Cheetah »

I still can't find info about this show on the Animal Planet website, but I've seen a couple of this guy's videos on youtube and they made me sick. Cesar is an angel compared to him! Regardless, I will watch any training show available, just so I can have some sort of opinion on it... still trying to find this show!
Eevee, 10-year-old Border Collie mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo), 4-year-old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

The show "In The Dog House" is on Saturdays at 8:00 PM on Animal Planet.

wvvdiup1
IGETITTOO

Post by IGETITTOO »

You need to question why is Animal Planet bringing back Traditional Training shows?

Besides In the Dog House they have also brought back Good Dog University.

I am sure Victoria knows why these shows have been brought back.