I miss her

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jodieohdoh

I miss her

Post by jodieohdoh »

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking and not posting for a long while, I hope nobody minds my piping up out of the blue with my issues.

I wish it was my dog's issues I was writing about, however my best girl passed away in February this year. I miss her every minute and it doesn't feel like it's going to get better. The moment when the vet put her to sleep keeps replaying in my head and the GUILT I feel for allowing it to happen is crushing. She was a very sick dog, I am told that we did the right thing by her... I know we did. But still.

I hoped some of you might have some words of advice, comfort, or experience and maybe i can start to get over her. Never forget her.

Regards
Jodie
pmcrae71

Post by pmcrae71 »

Oh, precious, I it will get better soon. I know the pain and hurt you are feeling. It will get easier, one day at a time. Just know that she is better now, no more pain or sickness. I cannot say she is in a better place, her place is with you, in your heart. I will pray (if you don't mind) for you to help you through this time.

I lost my Quasi 3 yrs ago this November. I still cry when I hear a certin song or see his picture. Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to say good bye. He was a victum of an attack by two other dogs. After 6 hrs at the emergency vet's and a sleepless night, he passed away the next morning while I was at work. My husband was with him when he took his last breath so he wasn't alone.

What made me feel better was getting another dog. Yes, I felt very guilty for getting Ozzy so soon after Quasi passed (two weeks) I just couldn't take the pain and the emptiness in my heart and soul. I still feel guilty and lonely 3 yrs later, but it is better now, Ozzy has been a blessing to us. It made me feel better by giving life to one that may not have had one in the past or one in the future. We adopted him from the humane society (there are pics on pg 17 of the let's see 'em thread).

Celebrate her life with laughter and love, she'll live on in your heart and through your actions...unconditional love

Take care and God bless
wvvdiup1

I miss her

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Jodiohdoh and pmcrae71:

A little over a month ago, we had a discussion on this under the topic "Update on my dogs" on "page 2" under "General Discussion." You will find how deeply we spoke on this subject.

I will not say anymore on this posting because I've said enough on the posting I've referred you. Like you, I still have trouble controlling my emotions when I speak or am reminded of Crissy, the dog I'm talking about in those postings, even though I know I must move on with my life or else I'm going to end up in some mental institution. So, I don't want to talk about it.

To let you know, I understand where you're coming from; it isn't easy making the decision and living with the consequences of euthanizing your pet. My prayers are with you!

wvvdiup1
jodieohdoh

Post by jodieohdoh »

Thank you both so very much, I can't tell you how grateful I am. I am so relieved to be able to talk about it and hear your stories and not feel so much like an emotional wreck. For various reasons I've not really had time to grieve for her. She was such a special soul. Her last few weeks were heartbreaking & she went downhill so fast. I have thought about getting another dog, it sounds childish but I just want my Fly back.

Anyway. Thanks a million xxx
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

jodieohdoh,

We may not be psychologists/psychiatrists here, but we are here for you if you want to talk. Just bear in mind that this forum isn't exactly a private place to talk, but it will get you the help you need. Take the time now to grieve for your pet. They say "Time heals all wounds" and you'll know when you're ready.

Remember, we're here for you.

wvvdiup1
Liz & Koa

Post by Liz & Koa »

Jodieohdoh,

Just wanted say I know how you feel. I lost my GSD Bruin 2 years ago due to bloat. It was very sudden and I was lost. My husband and I have no children, and we were going to wait a year to get another dog, but everyday I would go from room to room and think of Bruin in all his spots, and cry, cry, cry. A month later we adopted Koa. He was 8 months old and had been at a puppy mill all his life. He has been a LOT of work and a test for us. I really think Bruin was taken from me, (as corny as that sounds), so Koa could have a chance at a good life. I fell in my heart that Koa would have been pts if he went to the worng family. He will be with us two years in July, and is finally trusting people a little more and is loving his life. It's probably the Prozac he is on, but no matter, he is happy.

It is very difficult and hard not to compare a new dog, but just think what a good life you gave your dog and how you could do that for another one. Sure you would cry a lot, but, I bet you would laugh a lot also.

Don't feel guilty about what you did FOR your dog. It is for our selfish reasons that we hold on. None of us want to see them suffer.

Dogs are a gift to us, and we are a gift to them.

Take care.
Liz & Koa
DogzRule1996

Post by DogzRule1996 »

I also lost my dog, and I miss Toby dearly. The vets at the animal shelter lied to us. When we adopted him my mom noticed that he had lost a lot of fur, and they say that it was due to him sleeping on it and him scratching, and they cured him of the fleas that was causing him to scratch and lose all that fur, and we fell for it. We took him home and gave him a bath. The next day, he was scratching nonstop. We took him to the vet, and they did a skin scraping for mites, and he came negative for that. Then they perscribed medicine for him (tablets, pills, sprays, you name it!) that was over $280, and it did not last long. And even after that, he was still scratching, and that wasn't the worst of it. He started bleeding badly. We took him back, and they did an allergy test that was WAYYY over $2000. He came clear with no allergies, and it was not sarcoptic mange or demodex mange. The vet said to put him out of his misery. He spends every moment of his life scratching. We could even hear him at night, scrathing, his collar jingling and his leg thumping. He was the sweetest dog ever. I know how you feel. I was also moping around when I first got on. Her spirit will always be within you. She will always be looking down at you from up above. Trust me, next time you look up at the clouds, look with your heart, not your eyes, and you will see her right there, looking back down at you, smiling, telling you that she is ok and doing fine.
(¯`'•.¸(¸.•'´ ¯)
♫♪(¯` ¸(¯`'•.¸**¸.•'´¯)¸.• ¯)♫♪
(¯`'•. --=-_Stop Animal Cruelty Now!_-=-- `'• .¸_)
(_¸-_(_¸.•'´*♫♪♫♪*`'•.¸_)`'• .¸_)
(._¸.•'´`'• .Â.=-¸_)
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

A couple of years ago was really rough for me. For completing my master's degree, my wife and I finally decided to get a dog. My wife and I a suckers for hard luck stories so we found what we thought was the perfect dog for us. He was a wonderful lab pit mix who had been found in a dumpster dropped on his head with a spiral fracture of his right hind leg. Most of his puppy hodd had been spent in a vet hospital in physical therapy. The fracture had partially healed when found so he never regained full use of that leg.

That's what I mean about hard luck stories

We knew when adopting him he has some issues with other dogs and immediately enrolled in a "feisty fido program". Prior to class enrollment the trainer does an individual assessment of the dog's behavior. All I can say is that trainer is one of the bravest women I have ever met. As soon as Clay saw her he was immediatly barking, lunging at the end of the leash. For the first 45 minutes of the assessment all we would see is a handfull of treats come flying into the room, which Clay promptly ate and then went back to barking and lunging.

When he finally was exahuast from barking she entered the room but could not even turn to look at us. We had to talk to her through a reflection. It was clear we had some serious learning and training. Clay unfortunately dod not respond well to training. We were extremely dilligent and read every book we could find on positive reinforcement training. We made mistakes of course as this was our first dog. We thought be getting a second dog who was good that the goodness may rub off. Long story short, he had brain injuries that were more than any training would over come. We had to make the hardest decision in putting Clay down. We had worked so very hard and for a long time I felt I had failed him.

Later that year the second dog we had gotten was diagnosed with cancer and also went to the bridge. Saying farewell to her, although was painful (not a dry eye in our vet's office) was still easier than loosing Clay.

After Clay we adopted Apollo and a few months later began fostering Khan. Khan story is posted here, but again he was a dog with serious issues. The experience we had with Clay benefitted us greatly in being able to turn him around to become a fully confident well behaved dog. It was then I realized that it was not my job to save Clay. Clay's purpose was to give me the skills I would need to save Khan. Without all the work and effort and tears working with Clay I never would have been prepared for all the work for Khan. Loosing 2 dogs in one year was horrible, then at the end of the year we acquired our 3rd dog Chloe. Now our house is full.

I remember and love each dog that had become apart of my life. I focus on the good times.

(We spent 6 months working with Clay. My wife and I suffered several very serious bites (level 4-5) and live across the street from an elementary school. Our decision was based upon a final incident where our choices were putting him down or total confinement in a double gated and locked run...which is no way for a dog to live.