SPCA said Border Collie/Pit Vet says Pit/Lab

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Autumn

SPCA said Border Collie/Pit Vet says Pit/Lab

Post by Autumn »

Can you form/give opinion by these pics?

Last edited by Autumn on Sun May 31, 2009 8:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
melhos123

Post by melhos123 »

Not a clue, but there are some places that do DNA breed testing if you want to spend the money. (You should be able to find it on google or something) Just curious why you want to know...
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Beautiful dog. I'm leaning strongly toward lab mix; judging by the markings, I'd be inclined to say bc/lab. I know pits can come in a variety of colors, but do they include white? If so, then I would agree with the vet on pit/lab. It's definitely a toss-up, as I can see how all three breed types might be identified. Again, it's a beautiful dog, whatever it's genetic make-up.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Your dog has a similar head to one of mine, Bonnie is a Collie/Lab but doesn't have the white markings.

If you put Imageafter it, the picture will show up on here.

This is Bonnie so you can compare them.

[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

DNA will not tell breed mix - it will only prove that the parents were the parents.

Looks are only one way to tell - how about nature? Think of his mannerisms, likes and dislikes.

Lovely-looking dog no matter how bred.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mj702002

Post by mj702002 »

Hmm... couldn't he be a mix of all 3?

This is what I call mine when someone asks...an "All American Pound Hound"
Of course I get head tilts and Hmms, "never heard of that breed" :lol:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Nettle wrote: Looks are only one way to tell - how about nature? Think of his mannerisms, likes and dislikes.

Bonnie is ALL Collie and was a nightmare when she first came, I asked if she had Collie in her and was told no. Having a disabled hubby to see to because she was to be his dog so he had to take to her as well as 3 other dogs, one just over dog aggression I didn't look at her properly, silly me :oops: I also had to drive 75 miles both ways.

When I got her home and really looked at her, I phoned the rescue and asked why I was lied to over her being a Collie, was told they knew I wouldn't have her if she had Collie in her.

She was 8 months old and had been in a crate for 2 months because both her back legs had been broken and she was bouncing off the walls.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Autumn

Post by Autumn »

Thanks everyone!
The dog's name is Midnight and he's 10 months old.

SPCA said he was turned over because he chased the last owners' cat and exhibited puppy behavior. (DUH)

When I first brought him home, he tried really really hard to get to my bunny. Put her up on the entertainment center and he jumped up there too. Needless to say, the bunny is no longer in the livingroom!LOL

Put a desk in front of one window thinking it would keep him from going through to get the squirrels. Nope...he just jumped right up, knocking everything off.

Rides nicely in the car...until he sees another dog. He would have jumped right out to get one the other day if the window had been open and he wasn't hooked to the seat belt thingy we have.

Good on leash as long as we see the squirrels and rabbits before he does.

Barks, lunges and sometimes growls at other dogs but I think that can be taken care of with some socialization. Instead of working with him, poor Midnight was kept in garage or basement when he "misbehaved". Grrrrr

He's been with us a week and is doing great with training(as long as other dogs and squirrels, etc aren't around). He's got sit, down, and off(when someone wants to sit on couch)....

Oh and to answer the why do you want to know what he is...no reason. I just think all the answers/ideas everyone gives are interesting:)
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

He even behaves like Bonnie did when she first came. :lol:
Autumn

Post by Autumn »

scbelle

Post by scbelle »

Body shape is very similar to my Katie. We think she is lab/whippet.

Are his feet webbed like a labs?

Katie is the "Katie at the Beach" thread (Gen Discussion). Her legs may be a bit longer than Midnight's He is a cutie! :P
One husband, two kids, two cats, two gerbils, one dog, one me....FULL HOUSE!!
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Okay, judging by the latest pics, I'm going with pit-lab. That's my final vote. And my gosh, he's adorable!
pmcrae71

Post by pmcrae71 »

He is precious!! I don't see the pitt in him though. Pitts have a large boxy head, and a wide snout. Been up close and personal a week ago with two pitts (see scarey walk) and Ozzy's kennel mate was a pitt at the humane society.

I would have to say col/lab... do some research on each bread, this may help you to decide what you think he is. He may have habits from each bread, like the chase instinct. Ozzy is a chow/gsd mix, I did some reading on both breads to try to determine what his temper would be like. My Connor is a min pin, they were bread 100's of yrs ago as vermin chasers, and let me tell you, he chases (tries) everything he can. We had to put our cats in a special room to prevent him from trying to eat them...lol. (see meet Ozzy and Connor for pics)

Good luck to ya