Expensive Doggie Treats? haha

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kelleyanne1988

Expensive Doggie Treats? haha

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

I just found out that Gunner LOVES strawberries!

Are strawberries even good for dogs? haha I haven't ever heard they were bad for them... haha but he loves them... I need him to love other treats like he showed interest in strawberries. (He loves all treats, but he was more excited about strawberries than other treats I've given him) It was really kinda cute haha, but that is going to be an expensive treat! haha
Have an Amazing Day,
Kelley Anne, Gunner, and Bear
Paul&Muttley

Broccoli!

Post by Paul&Muttley »

Last night I cooked some broccoli, and Muttley of course is always interested when I cook something. I cut off some pieces of stalks, and he seemed to really enjoy that!
wvvdiup1

Expensive doggie treats-haha

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Strawberries? I thought onions were bad enough! When I had my dog, Della, she would dig up my vegetable garden for an onion! Needless to say what came after she ate it!

But with Emma, it has to be the biggest, juiciest steak! Whether I cook it, grill it, or whatever with it, she is always there with her dog dish in her mouth!

wvvdiup1
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

All fruit is fine except grapes, which can poison some dogs. Fruit and vegetables are good for dogs, but for onions (as you found wvvd) raisins (toxic) maize on the cob (okay off it) and there is choke danger from brussels sprouts, so if you feed these, under close supervision only.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
mj702002

Post by mj702002 »

Nettle - Why is corn (maize)on the cob not good?
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

I always thought dogs had a hard time digesting corn but I may be very wrong on that.

I'm going to try and see what fruits and Veggies Jasmine likes of course keeping grapes/raisans and onions out of that list.

So far she's a big big fan of chicken crunches (Dog treats) and the breeder says she loves Nylabones and has bad reactions to certain chewies. :?
Behind every good dog there is a great owner.
scbelle

Post by scbelle »

The corn cob is actually the danger. I just saw an episode of "Animal Cops" where a dog died of apparent starvation, the vet found that its intestinal tract was completely blocked by a corn cob :cry: . She stated that unfortunately this can be common when people let their dogs have the cobs. You cannot tell until it may be too late that the dog is in serious trouble. That is in addition to the choking hazard they present.

My Katie did not like strawberries very much, but boiled peanuts, she went NUTS over those! :lol:
One husband, two kids, two cats, two gerbils, one dog, one me....FULL HOUSE!!
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Paul, I give Murphy the broccoli stalks raw and cook the rest for me. It's like a chew toy and he eats it all! He's not too keen on apples, but so far broccoli has been a hit.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

My girls don't like broccoli-- they pick it out of their bowls and drop it on the floor! Same with carrots-- unless I mash it up and stir it in to the rest of the food real well.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Strawberries themselves are fine, but I recently found out that apparently the leaves/stalk are highly toxic. Haven't found out why yet, but maybe best to take off the leaves anyway.
kelleyanne1988

Post by kelleyanne1988 »

haha no i didnt give him the leaves on it. I just bit off a piece that I was eating and gave it to him. But I'm certainly not going to be able to afford strawberries as a treat for Gunner haha. First off I like them too much and secondly... fruit just gets expensive sometimes.

My dad's lab (Jake) is a VERY picky eater. He gets sooooo excited to get food.... just to find out he doesn't really want it. haha He'll put it on the ground in front of him and then look at you. My parents have the lil milkbones for their pembroke welsh corgi and Jake takes at LEAST 10 minutes to finally decide to eat one! haha. I think he's hiding them somewhere.

Also, I gave Jake a carrot one day and he chewed on it like a chew toy, but didnt eat any of it. So after I realised what he was doing... I had to go pick up LITTLE carrot peices out of my mom's rug! It was a mess!!
Have an Amazing Day,
Kelley Anne, Gunner, and Bear
spydre

Post by spydre »

Loth really, really loved strawberries. I used to sit with them on a plate munching on them, and she would sit in front of me drooling visibly (with little drool droplets on the floor - she didn't drool normally). So i would give her some pieces. She also absolutely LOVED broccoli. And beef jerky (I remember we once thought the top of our entertainment center was safe - until she was so compelled by the jerky that was up there she knocked several things down in the effort to get it!). Well, okay, she loved anything almost that humans would eat. Didn't like brussels sprouts or lima beans - but truly, I think that was it.

Dodger is funny - when are having actual carrots, potatoes, onions, he won't eat them - he'll carry them into another room and drop them so we don't see he's not eating it. Even if it's cooked. However, he WILL eat the freeze dried carrots and potatoes that come in his dog food. He also LOVES peas - now he hopes every pot has peas that he can eat.
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]
wvvdiup1

Expensive doggie treats-haha

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Nettle, I don't think that is how my dog, Della, died, unless you're talking about the farts she released from eating onions! I forgot to mention that Della, fortunately, didn't make a habit of eating onions. Sometimes, though, I wonder if she didn't mistake onions for one of the many balls she buried in the vegetable garden. You would think the smell of onions would keep her away from them!

As far as raw meat, I never feed my dogs raw meat until I have cooked, grilled, etc., the meat to make sure all parasites and anything else that might be in the meat is destroyed!

wvvdiup1
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Please don't think I am saying you killed your dog with onions! Many dogs survive the onion experience just as many survive chocolate, grapes or raisins or all of them - I just mentioned that as a warning for the future for anyone who might think onions are safe food for dogs.

I freeze raw meat to kill the nasties. It needs to be frozen for four weeks at or below 30C to do that. Then I feed it to them raw.

There is a very small risk with some raw beef in USA - very small, but there - so might be good to cook that as a precaution. The organism is harmless to humans but dangerous to dogs, so you can eat your steak rare but they shouldn't.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Strawberries may not have a great deal of nutritional value but if he will eat them, likes them, let him. Fruits and veggies are good for them, However, take note NO onions, corn on the cob, kernal corn or grapes. Onion is like poison, corn and grapes can swell in the gut. Other wise if you can get your pup to eat fruits and veggies, great. My posse loves frozen fruit of any kind, I use it as a special treat, come to think of it, I use frozen veggies as a special treat. Yogurt, cottage cheese ( not a great deal) sour cream is great for the digestion.
The best days are spent with my dogs.