Boy's best friend

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

spydre

Boy's best friend

Post by spydre »

Earlier this week, a 3 year old boy disappeared, and was missing in Mark Twain National Forest something like 52 hours later, 4 miles from home, hypothermic and dehydrated. Everyone was wondering how he survived, because it had been rainy and night time temps were pretty low. And well, he's only 3, and they knew early on that he had lost his shoe.

The doctor found some details out that makes much more sense:

http://www.ksdk.com/news/local/story.as ... 00&catid=3
Dodger - 2 1/2 yo American Bulldog Mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Dodger/DCP_0106.jpg[/img]
RIP Loth 10 year old Husky/Keeshond/Shar pei mix
[img]http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd184/Spydre1/Loth/DCP_0039.jpg[/img]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Lucky child.

Funny how some people ignore the obvious isn't it (oh the Pyrenees has vanished - so has our son....). And would ANY dog scare a Pyrenees? :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

One of my fav dog saying is "every dog deserves a boy". I can't remember a time when I did not have a dog in my life. I did not have boys, I had girls. We had this dog we got out of a box at a local Fred Meyers where I lived at the time, mixed breed puppies. I saw bored in him. He looked like Hubert Humphry so we named him Hubert. We got him 6 months before our oldest child was born. We brought out child home from the hospital and all he wanted to do was smell her, lick her and stay as close to her as he could get. Wherever she was, he was. 5 years later we had our second daughter and Hugh as we called him, added her to his list of responsibility for care. As my girls grew older and were allowed to play in the neighborhood I always knew where they were because where ever they were, Hugh was always with them. He protected them one day when a neighbor had a visitor with a dog. The dog came after my youngest and old Hugh intercepted that dog and just beat the heck out of it. He was not a fighter, he got on very well with the neighborhood dogs but he must have known that that dog was going to harm my girl. We learned later that the visitors dog had bitten other children, even it's own children. This boy would walk my girls to the bus stop, wait with them to get on the bus and then meet them in the afternoon to walk them home. We still miss Hugh to this day, some 30 years later. My current dogs love children, all children and are very watchful when they are around.
The best days are spent with my dogs.
wvvdiup1

Boy's best friend

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Glad to hear you got your son back, especiallly in a national park! But, have you read the news lately? Women would rather have a dog (preferrably the four-legged ones)! This should send a strong message to all you guys out there! :D

wvvdiup1
Kittylove5

Post by Kittylove5 »

That's an amazing story, I hope they gave that boy his mac & Cheese and a hot dog he deserves and get the dog some too. :lol:
Behind every good dog there is a great owner.
WendyM

Post by WendyM »

MaiasMom wrote:He was not a fighter, he got on very well with the neighborhood dogs but he must have known that that dog was going to harm my girl. We learned later that the visitors dog had bitten other children, even it's own children.
They know things about other dogs and people long before we do. When I was a teenager (and just beginning with the whole dating concept) my neighbor gave me the best advice ever-- pay attention to how my dogs react to certain people! I did, and if my dogs made it clear they did not trust or like someone, I'd make a last minute excuse to avoid the date.

I don't know how they know, but they know. I suspect its a combination of body language and smell, but they know.
MaiasMom

Post by MaiasMom »

Wendy I completly agree with you, I have seen this so often over my 61 years. They just know stuff and that's good enough for me. Your right, if my dogs don't go up to someone with a wagging tail I know something is not right with that person and on the same note, if a human does not like dogs there has to be something really wrong with them.
The best days are spent with my dogs.